Who here has the new 3gs jailbroken with the NEW bootroom? Worth it?

jateshk

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
Is it worth it? That every time u have to start phone or if battery runs out u have to rerun blackrain . I am always near a computer and the biggest problem I see is when I travel on the plane. If my battery duns out I'd have to take ou my laptop. Also if te phone were to freeze. Does this freeze that often that you would reatart?

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
3.1.2 isn't the new bootrom anymore. It's on the new firmware. I had my 3GS JB before, but opted for the new OS and my battery last longer not JB.

You're confused. There is a "new bootrom" that came out in about October of 2009, that was on newer 3GS phones that came with 3.1.2. It was still jailbreakable, but it was tethered. Upgrading to 3.1.3 will not upgrade you to the new bootrom, just the new firmware. The bootrom is what makes the jailbreak tethered, the firmware is what is jailbreakable or not.

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
And to clarify - the bootrom is hardware related, from what I can recall. So updating your software will only update your baseband, not your bootrom.

DataCentre

Jan 26, 2010
www.datacentredesigns.ca
Then if the bootrom wasn't changed with the new firmware, why won't Blackra1n work anymore? If it wasn't changed, it should work still, but it doesn't. So that tells me they changed the bootrom again.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
If the original question was actually is it worth jailbreaking if you have to be tethered, then the answer is YES.

Let's face it, if you're on an airplane and your battery runs out, you're gonna break out your laptop anyway, right? Cause at that point, you've got some charging to do before anything matters. If you're rarely away from a charging source or a computer, then it really won't matter. I've been on a tethered j/b since the end of December, and have had to do a reset (unplanned) twice: once to reset my battery meter, and once because AT&T had upgraded cell towers locally and I had NO SERVICE. Both times I simply reset by running Blackra1n on the closest pc.

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
And Data, blackra1n doesn't jailbreak because of the bootrom. Every jailbreak is created by finding "holes" in the code of the firmware/OS that the sclera find. They use this hole, and then create a program (blackra1n/redsn0w) that "sneaks" the jailbreak code into the firmware through that hole (a/k/a 'exploit'). All that code does is modify the firmware so that it can allow open source coding and third party coding to run on the OS.

It actually had NOTHING to do with the bootrom.

Why doesn't an older jailbreaking tool work on newer OS, you ask?

Because with every new release of an OS, Apple LITERALLY 'closes/fixes' the hole that the hackers previously discovered.

That's why it takes so long for a new jailbreak tool to be released whenever there's a new OS. Because the hackers have to find a new exploit.

Geohot currently claims that he's found at least 2 exploits that he is keeping quiet about until the 3.2 and 4.0 OS release, because he doesn't want to utilize them NOW and have Apple fix them yet.

Understand?

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Sclera=hackers. Damned typos+auto correct keep screwing me up, and I can't edit my post because I'm typing from the iPhone.....

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal