Disappointed

NDes

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
Mostly in myself, but also with Apple and their crappy restrictions. I just got a new iPhone 3GS and am switching over from a Moto Droid phone. I had rooted my Droid and fully customized it mostly to my liking, and it ran fairly smooth and stable as well. The iPhone 3GS came pre-installed with firmware 3.1.2, so I was excited to try and get some custom Winterboard themes on it.

I went ahead and jailbroke my phone using BlackRa1n rc3 as per the instructions on this forum. Everything was going well, or so I thought. After I installed the Glass Orb theme and a 3DFiction video wallpaper, I rebooted my phone. Upon rebooting the phone, I was greeted with the recovery mode screen and every time I tried running BlackRa1n from my pc, it would get stuck on rebooting.

I tried different methods of trying to get it to properly reboot again, but none of worked for me. In the end, I had to do a factory restore and of course, iTunes wouldn't let me restore using a 3.1.2 firmware image... so I had to end up upgrading to stock 3.1.3. I guess now I'm stuck waiting for someone to find a new way of jailbreaking 3.1.3 on the 3GS.

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
jailbreaking can break your phone. it's one of the possibilities of it.

Apple's restrictions all make the device work. If you don't like them, don't use an iphone.

NDes

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
jailbreaking can break your phone. it's one of the possibilities of it.

Apple's restrictions all make the device work. If you don't like them, don't use an iphone.

Right, and I am well aware of the risks of jailbreaking as should anyone even attempting to do so. My point is that the restrictions don't allow users to do something as simple as customizing the springboard, unless they have a jailbroken device. It's not a life ending issue for me, but it's just an annoyance that I see with the device.

NDes

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
See what I mean? So discouraging.....

As I replied to the poster above you, it's not a huge issue for me but it is something that I find to be a bit frustrating. I believe that we should be able to customize our phones to our liking without having to do any multi-step procedures or "hacking."

If Apple were to allow the release of Springboard customizing app in the App Store, you don't think there would be thousands of extremely happy iPhone users? I mean seriously, all I want is to add my own theme to my phone... I don't think I'm asking for too much here.

macdaddy2x

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
As I replied to the poster above you, it's not a huge issue for me but it is something that I find to be a bit frustrating. I believe that we should be able to customize our phones to our liking without having to do any multi-step procedures or "hacking."

If Apple were to allow the release of Springboard customizing app in the App Store, you don't think there would be thousands of extremely happy iPhone users? I mean seriously, all I want is to add my own theme to my phone... I don't think I'm asking for too much here.

Could not agree more.

Mustang5Oh

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site

I'd say it would be more like MILLIONS of happy iPhone users if Apple just because like all others and allowed you to customize the phone to the way you like it!

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
I happen to prefer the utilitarian look and feel of the iPhone. I have jailbroken several times and always end up reverting to OEM. My personal usage habits don't require multitasking, nor did I like any themes I found or other tweaks. General Mao, err Jobs, has brainwashed me I guess.

Blastfurnace

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
A jailbroken iPhone is the only reason to have one. The stock iPhone blows.

A very concise statement. Having had a standard Iphone and then a Jailbroken Iphone I have to say that if I were forced back to an OEM phone I doubt that I would keep it.

Why Apple does what they do escapes me but when you ignore the desires of your customers they will soon become other peoples customers.

My Jailbroken phone can do SO much more than a regular iphone. I run a really effecient theme, I can save videos from you tube and other sources onto my phone, My iphone can be a wireless hotspot so that I can connect my laptop to the internet anywhere I have 3G. And SO much more....

The iphone is an amazing device when used to its full potential.

4 years ago my Samsung Sync could bluetooth files to any other bluetooth phone. Today an OEM Iphone can't. How's that for progress?

Blast

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
I think the value of an iPhone depends on the specific user. If I were to do what you do, then yes, I can understand stock being a problem. I make phone calls, check the internet and send e-mails. I don't stream music, I don't need to sync files nor create a hotspot. To each their own, but there are those who don't see a need to JB.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2