Accidentally upgraded???!

pilotnh

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
where do you get off mate?

so sure your up to date with technology, iphones upgrading downgrading etc etc.

what about all the people including myself who just dont keep up with technology all through the year. I have work family etc etc so dont get time to browse the internet all the time to keep up.

So instead of your wise cracks why not say yeah sure there is a way back. Go to this forum and youll find out how, or alternatively, No there isn't yet, but there might be in the future.

Or does it make you feel big and clever, maybe even get you off that you know more about a particular subject than some others do??
:rolleyes::rolleyes:

When you made the decision to j/b your phone, you took on a responsibility you couldn't live up to. You knowingly gave up Apple tech support and the ability to know that your phone lived in a stable environment that was being constantly tested and updated by people who had the time you claim to not have. You then had an obligation to read, learn and educate yourself so that you wouldn't get into a situation such as you are. While others are out there to help you, you have the responsibility to do some of the work.

"With great power comes great responsibility". Be glad your phone isn't j/b anymore.

Reactions: mth785 and Alli

krs7272#AC

Feb 20, 2010
Visit site
I've only had my iphone for about a week and had no choice as it was already updated. But coming over from Blackberry its the same people over in the Hybrid world to or the internet for that matter. How many people can't even use the search button.

I have turned off the updates in itunes as to avoid this problem in the future. I always waited a few days with the blackberry leaks to see the overall response why can't other do the same here? Never mind that answer would surely offend someone LOL

TyanColte

Feb 16, 2010
tyan.homeip.net
"Well, the old saying goes "if you create something idiot proof, the world will create better idiots.""

well said LVCIFER
and also pilotnh

As for me personally. I jailbroke the same day 3.1.3 was released. A friend of mine showed me the wonders of jailbreaking and when I got home and hooked my phone up to my computer iTunes poped up and said Update to 3.1.3! and I replied "hold on a sec" opened my browser typed into google "3.1.3 jailbreak" and when the first 10 hits are WARNING and DO NOT UPGRADE and NO NEW FEATURES 3.1.3 kills jailbreaks only. I immediately told iTunes not to ask me again and cancelled the operation. Then I downloaded blackra1n and successfully jailbroke and never been happier. I just don't see how hard it is just to get in google for 5 seconds. Usually within the first 10 hits is exactly what you are looking for even without clicking the links. LVCIFER there's a really cool website called Let me google that for you where you can make google searches and link people to it it's pretty nifty. Anyway sorry for the long post.

royaltyb

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
This thread and forum

Yes I am new to this forum, but already I find it interesting the egos some of the regular forum posters have, specifically this thread since I haven't had much time to browse all of them.

My point in bringing this up is that the forums are here to help educate, not blast people for their lack of smartphone knowledge or even forum etiquette. If they are posting it is because they want to learn.

royaltyb

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
I will use myself as an example:

I just purchased my first iPhone a couple of days ago. Hooked it up to iTunes and of course I was asked if I wanted to upgrade to 3.1.3. Not knowing much about jailbreaking iPhones or how long the 3.1.3 software had been out, I said "upgrade". Of course after registering with this forum I found out you cannot jailbreak 3.1.3. (No I didn't accidentally upgrade)

Does that make me stupid? According to some of the posts I read here, yes apparently I am, but to the rest of us becoming familiar with a completely new device, I am simply not fully educated on the subject matter.

My recommendations:

Instead of steam rolling every person who may not have the knowledge you have, offer a solution, that is what this forum is for.

Before someone says "they should search the forum for this or that" keep in mind some people are actually really new to not only the iPhone, but maybe to forums altogether. While there might be a section to "introduce" yourself on the forum, maybe there should be a thread for new users that talks about forum etiquette and how to best use TiPb. (Please keep in mind that I just registered today, so if there is such a thread, please forgive me for that comment. :) )

Please keep in mind you have to know about certain things before you can even ask the right questions.

So please remember forum regulars - people are here to learn, not be told they don't know how to search or use the forum. If there is a Forum Etiquette thread, why not be nice and send them the link or better yet, rather than having new members only see "Introduce yourself" why not have a link to the Etiquette Thread.

Just food for thought. We are all trying to use these devices to make our life just a little better, don't need someone else in our lives beating us up because we don't spend our lives on the smartphone forums.

Sorry for the long post.

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
And if you jailbreak your phone without doing any type of extended research whatsoever, then you deserve what happens to you.

This is a $500+ device. If you're going to mess with it, to the point where you could potentially mess it up, then your ass should be reading every printed material you can find.

THAT'S why these forums are here. If someone would simply figure out how to use the damned search feature, you could avoid us having to search FOR you. You could avoid making us waste out time to cut and paste your solution or link.

Ultimately, if you're too good to do a search fr your own problem- if you don't want to help yourself, why the hell should WE want to help you?

And quite frankly, if people are too ignorant to figure out how to search for the answers to their problems, then maybe they shouldn't be jailbreaking in the first place. This isn't "one click heaven". Sometimes, it takes - IN THE LEAST - someone who is technologically savvy.

So I have no sympathy or pity for people who just think we should outright answer them because they didn't bother to search.

And for the record, look at my posting history. I DO help as many people as I can - regardless of their own coc ky attitudes and pretentious actions. And yes, I do get annoyed, even still, when some a$$hole creates a post saying "jailbreak with blackra1n, but get the 'connect to iTunes screen' when phone turns off", or "just upgraded, blackra1n won't work!". Once again, if you're too stupid to read, then take that as a sign that you're too stupid to enjoy the benefits of a jailbreak.

TyanColte

Feb 16, 2010
tyan.homeip.net
LVCIFER I totally agree with everything you said there. For example I am a computer technician specializing in hardware and software for PC systems and netwoking those systems in any way imaginable, and I've had my iPhone since September of 2009 and I've been too chicken s*^t to jailbreak until the end of February of this year the exact day when 3.1.3 was released.

It took me researching and reading everything I could get my hands on plus some welcome encouragement from a good friend of mine who works as a sales rep at Radio Shack (he has a jailbroken iPhone as well) to get me to even download blackra1n. Now I couldn't even live with this thing if it wasn't jailbroken. I told iTunes never to ask me again about a 3.1.3 update.

That's why I feel sorry for anybody who just purchased their iPhone/iTouch. They couldn't help it. But for all you who "accidentially" upgraded or as I like to say did an uninformed upgrade I really can't feel sorry for you because that is entirely YOUR fault for not doing the required amount of research. ESPECIALLY if you were already jailbroke. You should've known better to blindly update.

Sorry this is getting long winded but I like to rant lol.

So in closing :p do the research. Google is a great place to start. If u end up here like I did JOIN!!! There are lots of knowledgable people here who can help you and have probably already answered the same question you have somewhere on this forum. There's a little button at the top of this page that says "Search." Use it to your advantage. The truth will set you free.
:-D

Ok I'm done preaching. LoL

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I feel your pain. The sad part is, the people who ask the same questions over and over won't see this thread any more than they will search and find the answer to the question they were looking for in the first place...unless by accident.

About 10 years ago, when Treo Central was the only community in the SME universe, I posted a thread complaining about some of the people who constantly replied "do a search." It takes as long to write that as it does to at least partially answer the question, or tell someone what to search for. I think we do a really good job of that here. Most of the responses at least say "search for tethered jailbreak, and LVCIFER, bless his heart, has copy/pasted marvelous instructions so many times it should be number one in Google and Bing searches by now!

Nice to have this space to rant though, my brothers.

royaltyb

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
LVCIFER - I think you might be missing my point, but I do understand where you are coming from. Me personally, Google is my best friend when it comes to searching for answers; with regards to making changes to any device I am modifying (inside or outside) the carrier and manufacturer approved methods and software.

But what I noticed (and just on this thread) was that there was just a lot of crap talking. I agree with you that most people shouldn't be jailbreaking their devices unless they have done their homework, but instead of wasting energy by breaking them down or telling them to search for the answer, why reply at all. Some people unfortunately need to figure things out the hard way. Again an etiquette thread for newcomers with the do's and don'ts and the best way to find the answers would save everyone time. If they choose not to read it or follow it, then to be honest, they deserve it if they brick a $500 device.

For the record, I am thankful to those who have learned how to modify their devices and pass on that information to those of us who are at least somewhat tech savvy and knowledgeable enough to follow directions, but may not be a subject matter expert like yourself or others, who take the time figure these things out and post their findings.

I do understand your frustration, but maybe there is a better way to get the information out to those who don't know how to look for it. I am speaking for others since most probably just wouldn't say what I'm saying. I'm not looking to upset anyone, just want to make getting the information that people want a little easier without the unnecessary bashing that usually follows the ignorant post.

Appreciate all the contributions that forum regulars make, which at the end of the day, helps me get the most out of my devices and love them that much more.

And TyanColte - I agree: The "Search" will set you free.

Respectfully,
RoyaltyB

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
RoyaltyB, thee is an etiquette thread. There is a thread that implores readers to read it before posting anything. If they only would....

royaltyb

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
RoyaltyB, thee is an etiquette thread. There is a thread that implores readers to read it before posting anything. If they only would....

Agreed - However, would like to see TiPb put some type of notification when new users sign up. Just like it is suggested you "Introduce" yourself or that you can't change you profile picture until you have 10 posts. If they put something there at least it is a better attempt. Or even an automatic redirect to the etiquette thread. Although we still can't make people read it. :D

sommerface

Jan 10, 2009
www.thevoiceof3.com
LVCIFER, I'm a big fan of the search button. Your post is spot on.

And really, there is no such thing as accidentally upgrading. It's called R.I.F. - reading is fundamental. It's not hard to do, and it takes two seconds. *shakes head* Idiots.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen