Can't jailbreak a brand new 3gS with 3.1.2?

OmarXCS

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Hello,

I have searched but no problem seems to be exactly like mine so here we go:

-My friend just bought a 3GS today. (BRand new, unlocked, in the USA- 600 bucks)
-Turned on, after a few mins it goes to home screen, no activation.
(The idea is for him to use it on T Mobile)
-Downloaded the newest version of PwnageTool
(already have latest version of iTunes already on my Mac)
-Downloaded ipsw 3.1.2
-In pwnage tool, I selected 3GS from the first screen> then selected the ipsw I had downloaded 3.1.2 which matched the one on the phone
-It started creating a custom ipsw, asked if it had been jalbroken before and I selected "no"
-Asked me to plug the phone, did the DFU thing, said successful and restarted
-The new ipsw was saved to the desktop
-On iTunes it said it found a device in "recovery mode"
-I "restored" while holding alt and pointed to the custom ipsw pwnage tool had created...
-And that's when I got an error 1600...

Now the phone is stuck in Recovery Mode (DFU). I have followed all the steps (holding power/home, etc)... I have used iRecovery, iFuntastic, other tools and NOTHING gets it out of this mode. Only thing that "sees" the phone is iTunes and i get that error if I try any custom ipsw...

And if I try ipsw for 3.1.2? It says something about "not authorized for that version"...

Anyone else?

SOrry for the long post but wanted to be precise.

Thanks,

OmarXCS

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
What I meant to say when I said "My friend bought a brand new phone, unlocked"... I mean that he bought it w/o a plan- not that anyone had ever done any jalibreaking/or unlocking on it before.

The steps I listed where the first ever by the phone...

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
You won't be able to restore to 3.1.2 any more because apple won't let you. Since the phone has never been jailbroken there's no way around this.

You might not need to restore though. When I was stuck in recovery mode I could not get iRecovery to work, but I was able to get out of it with blackra1n. It is a jailbreaking program but it will also reboot your device. Just connect the phone to your computer, open blackra1n and click the "make it rain" button.

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
Oh but that will only work if you had 3.1.2 installed on it. If your phone came with 3.1.3 already installed you will not be able to jailbreak or unlock at this time.