Why would you NOT want to JB?

Hack-My-i

Aug 24, 2009
Visit site
I was just wondering on the people out there who does not want to JB...why not?? I been wondering this since i 1st JB my iPhone a few months back...i couldnt think of a reason why not JB...so i figure, just ask :)

cobra302

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
the only reason i havent is becuase of the possiblity of push notification problems, and the tethered portion of the jailbreak. i know there is a work around for the push notifications, but i dont want to hack the hack so to speak. the tether isnt that big of a deal really, but i dont wanna ever risk not having the ability to use my phone if something were to ever happen. with my line of work, i need to know that my phone will always be able to make a call when i need it to.

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
the apps aren't vetted for malicious code
instability
crashing springboard
tethered jailbreak...
weird issues always reported fixed by uninstalling an unrelated app
push issue
risk of being hacked via ssh
harder to restore apps
harder to backup and restore with issues
can't get hardware support without restoring phone to new

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I was just wondering on the people out there who does not want to JB...why not?? I been wondering this since i 1st JB my iPhone a few months back...i couldnt think of a reason why not JB...so i figure, just ask :)

Apple warranty and support
AT&T support
Stability
Security

Hack-My-i

Aug 24, 2009
Visit site
ok i can understand Stability and Security, i give u those but as far as Appl warranty/ support and AT&T Support, u can always do a quick restore and no one would know anything

sargd66

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
OK, change the ssh password that takes care of that problem and only leaves you with the stablility issue. Watch what you download dont go beyond your knowledge in the jb and you wont really have stability issues either. Alot of the problems come from those "not to speak of" illegal apps. Stay away from those and your stability issues decrease even more. Just my 2 cents.

Hack-My-i

Aug 24, 2009
Visit site
OK, change the ssh password that takes care of that problem and only leaves you with the stablility issue. Watch what you download dont go beyond your knowledge in the jb and you wont really have stability issues either. Alot of the problems come from those "not to speak of" illegal apps. Stay away from those and your stability issues decrease even more. Just my 2 cents.

unless u know what your doing :D

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
ok i can understand Stability and Security, i give u those but as far as Appl warranty/ support and AT&T Support, u can always do a quick restore and no one would know anything

I shouldn't have to break my entire setup to get support. Which is why my main iphone is not jailbroken

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
I think simplicity is the #1 reason.

I've been JB for about 6 month and am loving it. I also love tinkering with electronics and am willing to put up with SB crashes, lag, etc. because I love the added functionality that JBing provides.

My girlfriend on the other hand just wants her phone to work. Period. She is content to be locked down because the phone just works for her.

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
OK, change the ssh password that takes care of that problem

go to somewhere like walmart and pick 100 people with iphones (assume there's 100 people with iphones there)

> 75% of them will not know what ssh is and > 95% of them will not know how to use their *nix command line

it's a problem because it requires technical knowledge most people don't know

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
unless u know what your doing :D
Let's face it. The jb community is too much like the Windows and Linux communities, only smaller. Notice that a small number of the people in those spaces are hostile to me but a larger number are just bad neighbors. By attaching weak systems to the network, they make it a more hostile place.

The iPhone space is much more like the Mac space. As there are lots of people who prefer the Mac because it is a lower profile target, I prefer the iPhone for the same reason.

I have one source for everything, Apple. Apple is on my side. So far, in spite of the large number of developers writing for the iPhone, we have seen little if any hostile code. If some were to leak through Apple and hit the iPhone population, most of them will go to Apple on a timely basis and be restored to an orderly state.

I think that Apple's intention and strategy is to maintain an orderly community. The more successful the product, the harder time they are going to have but so far it is working. The jb community, like the Windows/Unix community must rely upon the good behavior of almost one hundred percent of the community. Not very likely.

Perhaps there is not much difference in risk between the two populations. Perhaps jbrs can compensate for what there is. I make a different choice and the name of the motive for my choice is "security."

willthetech

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
for me is not a necessity, the iphone does what i need and it does it well, can i have more? ofcourse!!! but again it does what its meant to do!

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I shouldn't have to break my entire setup to get support. Which is why my main iphone is not jailbroken

I agree. I was a Palm user for years. I spent at least one managing it. One of the things that I like about the iPhone is that I spend most of time using it and very little managing it.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I'm a new member, and I've noticed alot of talk about jail break, what exactly is this?

It is altering the operating system of the iPhone so as to bypass controls that resist the insertion and use of arbitrary programs. Apple uses these controls to limit the use of the iPhone on any GSM network except those of Apple's choice such as AT&T. By resisting the use of arbitrary programs, Apple is able to limit the use of the iPhone for applications that AT&T does not like, such as "tethering," using the iPhone to connect a PC to the Internet via the GPRS data network. It can limit the way that applications can connect. For example, Apple refuses to accept an application like the Slingplayer that would use the GPSR data network for streaming video.

These are all things that can be done easily after "jail breaking."

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
it's hard to be jailbroken and then go back to the standard,
you almost feel like you're missing out on something

sargd66

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
@flyingember
that goes to what I was saying, if it goes beyond your knowledge don't do it. If you don't instal ssh you don't need to change password. I am not technical savy at all I have learned everything in this forum. There are some really good people in here that will do everything they can to help. I can do alot now because of these people. It's like everything in life, you have to keep up with it for it to keep working properly.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I JB once and it messed up push and my iPhone didn't run as well. Also didn't like having to micromanage everything like I did with WinMo. The over all experience of a stock iPhone is just want I want in my phone. It works and I really have to put in very little effort to make it work and work well. I just want to pick it up and it's good to go.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Airwaysoffices