Thinking of getting an iPhone for T-Mobile without Data, but have concerns

Dinosaurus

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
Have done a lot of reading and searching through the forums. I am on T-Mobile and have been thinking of selling my iPod Touch and just getting an iPhone and unlocking it. I will be getting a 3G 8GB if I do.

My concerns are that I've read about losing signal after extended periods of time and losing WiFi. I'd be using it without a data plan so having WiFi is very important.

Does anyone have any experience with recent unlocks and firmwares while using the 3G on T-Mobile with or without a data plan and if so I am wondering if it is worth the trouble or should I just stick with my iPod Touch. I'd like to have the iPhone for the camera and GPS (I'd buy a 3rd party GPS app in the app store).

Thanks in advance.

masterkjn

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
I jailbroke and unlocked my phone 3G 16GB. It works perfectly - wifi, gps, push, youtube etc working as intended. I had no problems at all. In fact i would say performance wise it works better since i use SBSettings to kill useless processes running and free up memory space. Some people are reporting wifi issues after jailbreaking/unlocking with blackra1n/sn0w but those are in the minority. Most of those cases are solved by a simple reset network settings. Those wifi problems are not permanent, they get wifi back by restoring to factory settings.
And FYI you cant use 3G data on Tmobile with iphone since it uses differrent frequencies, however you can use edge data plans on Tmobile.

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
You shouldn't have any issues I wouldn't think. Wifi should be just fine, as well as service.

As the last person said, you just can't get 3G as T-mobile and AT&T run on different 3G spectrums. You could most certainly use EDGE data if and when you ever decide you would want a data plan. But yes, you should be a-ok with an iPhone 3G on T-mobile :)

Dinosaurus

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the replies! Got the iPhone 3G and it is beyond my expectations. Coming from an iPod Touch and a Nokia 6133 on T-Mobile it's hard to imagine not having the iPhone after using it. MMS works great, WiFi and GPS work great. Reception is actually better than with the 6133. Sound quality is way better. Everything about using the iPhone with this carrier has just been terrific.

I think if I was going to get Data I'd just get a Verizon Mifi or a device like that. Costs quite a bit more than a simple T-Mobile data plan but then I could use it with my other devices easily as well.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods