Newbie with a brand new iPhone...Please help jb...

jb09

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

This is my first posting here and I just got a new iPhone 3G S 32GB. I wanted to briefly summarize my iphone specs:

1. The baseband version listed on iPhone is 05.11.07.
2. I connected to iTunes thru the USB connection on my Windows XP machine and it is listing the version on the iPhone as 3.1. It is also recommending me to update to 3.1.2.
3. The serial is 87940XXXXX.
4. Part No is MB717LL/A.

Would I be able to jailbreak this using purplera1n, blackra1n or any other software?

Please help.

Thanks.

masterkjn

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
Apple fixed the exploit in the new 3GS week 40+. It is a tethered jailbreak at the moment (meaning you will have to jailbreak everytime you reboot). Since you are at the borderline at week 40 you can go ahead to try to jailbreak to see if you have the newer version of the iphone 3GS. The worst that will happen is you will have to restore back to factory setting in itunes if you do have the newer version. There are various ways to jailbreak - you can use blackra1n or pwnagetool if you are on mac or just blackra1n if you are on PC. I would suggest using blackra1n since you are a beginner and it is a very easy jailbreak. Follow any blackra1n guide online to do that.

jb09

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
Excellent reply.

Since I'm a newbie, I wanted to take a more cautious approach to jb. I don't want to unlock for now as I'm already on a 2 year contract. As you had suggested, I'll try to use blackra1n on Windows Vista to see if it works. But, before doing that, I wanted to confirm the bootrom version. How do I do that? I have seen articles on how to see the bootrom version. But, it doesn't tell me on how to bring back the iphone UI. I also read that the new bootrom version is iBoot-359.3.2 which is impossible to jb. If that's the case, how can the serial number be 87940XXXXX?. Does 40+ includes 40 too?
In the end, I wanted to have a hassle free jb iphone and don't want a bricked phone.

Please help.

masterkjn

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
The first 2 digits are the factory number in China where it was manufactured, 3rd digit is the year i.e 2009 and 4th and 5th is the week.Noone knows for certain but we thing that sometime in week 40 apple fixed the exploit used to jailbreak. So you may or may not have the patched iphone. Only way to be certain is to actully jailbreak it and try out. Dont be scared - there is no way you can brick your phone trying to jailbreak with blackra1n. Even if you have the patched iphone you will still be able to jailbreak - but you will loose it once you reboot and you can just restore to factory with itunes then.
As far as telling your iphone bootrom version - the easiest way is actually through a cracked app called fuzzyband. In order to figure out the bootrom without jailbreaking there is a complicated process that you can look into but i wouldn't recommend it for non- pros.
When you actually do jailbreak, read a good guide for blackra1n. It usually takes people more then 1 try - took me about 4 tries. Dont get scared if you dont get it first try you can easily restore even if its stuck in recovery mode.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Yeah there's not much to worry about bricking your phone especially if you're not doing anything with unlocking. Like masterkjn said search there are a couple of threads about different things to do during the blackra1n JB. Update the thread once you give it a try to let us know if you were successful.

jb09

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
Thats very re-assuring.

YouTube has several videos on how to jb 3G S. But, nobody talks about the new boot rom version released by Apple from this October. I saw a video demo'ing PwnageTool. Will that work too? It tells to save your settings (baseband too) to ipsw file. Is it required?

If PwnageTool is useless at this point,

1. Do I need to use blackra1n RC1 or RC2?
2. Will this do a tethering jb? I will not be switching off my iphone at any cost except that when the battery is completely dead, then there would be no other option.
3. I also read that some people got stuck on the Apple logo after restarting. I don't know what happened after that.
4. If by any chance, I couldn't jb, I was told to restore to factory settings using iTunes. I would like to know this step and keep it handy as a fallback scenario. A pointer to this would be greatly appreciated.

finally, what is the best article on jb using blackra1n?

Sorry to ask too many questions but I wanted to do it right even if takes several retries.

Thanks.