Cydia or Icy

EKK330

Jun 1, 2009
Visit site
I'm just about to jailbreak my iPhone 3G for the first time. I'm running 3.1.2 and was wondering if I should use Cydia or Icy. Thanks

sargd66

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
In weird like that, lol. I don't want things on my phone I don't use or need. From what I see Rock has everything Cydia has and it looks and runs better.

mbartel500

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
At the risk of sounding like a dumba**, what is Rock? Is it another installer app? Where do you find it to install it? Through cydia?

I haven't JB my 3GS yet, so I am trying to understand what the various options are for installing 3rd party apps....thanks;)

jglowe74

Jun 9, 2009
joshlowe.posterous.com
At the risk of sounding like a dumba**, what is Rock? Is it another installer app? Where do you find it to install it? Through cydia?

I haven't JB my 3GS yet, so I am trying to understand what the various options are for installing 3rd party apps....thanks;)

Rock is another installer, yes. it's downloadable within blackra1n app. i am starting to lean towards deleting Cydia also. mine has been buggy ever since upgrading to 3.1.2.

sargd66

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
If you use blackra1n to jb you will have the option to install Rock, Cydia or Icy. You can install 1 or all three. I hear allot of complaints about Icy though.

EKK330

Jun 1, 2009
Visit site
I wish I could use Rock, but I downloaded blackra1n and my phone kept going to "connect to itunes." I had to use PwnageTool instead. I was disappointed, but it wasn't working, so I didnt have a choice.

jglowe74

Jun 9, 2009
joshlowe.posterous.com
i second the Rock app. it's got a great interface, is fast and has replaced Cydia on my phone. Cydia still won't load properly and i don't want to have to do a restore>re-JB just to get it working again. Rock, FTW!

Minhala

Aug 27, 2009
Visit site
One thing to remember with Cydia is it runs much better on wi-fi. Sometimes I think at&t blocks Cydia's servers or something.

If you go with Rock alone, just remember you'll have to save your own ECID shsh files for each firmware. Although even if you do have them saved through Cydia it's not a bad idea to have your own backup.

sargd66

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
Weel I spent three hours last night restoring my phone and re-jailbreaking my iPhone. I did this for one reason I only wanted Rock installed and not Cydia. I like Rock better and didnt see the need to have both installed. All went well, EXCEPT. If you paid for Apps in Cydia they wont install in Rock, Rock does not have license agreements with some developers. I can not instal 3GUnrestricter or PkgBackup because of this, SUCKS!! So for now my only option is to re-install Cydia and then I can download those two apps again. What a waste of time last night. This is just a heads up for anyone thinking about uninistalling Cydia.

jglowe74

Jun 9, 2009
joshlowe.posterous.com
Weel I spent three hours last night restoring my phone and re-jailbreaking my iPhone. I did this for one reason I only wanted Rock installed and not Cydia. I like Rock better and didnt see the need to have both installed. All went well, EXCEPT. If you paid for Apps in Cydia they wont install in Rock, Rock does not have license agreements with some developers. I can not instal 3GUnrestricter or PkgBackup because of this, SUCKS!! So for now my only option is to re-install Cydia and then I can download those two apps again. What a waste of time last night. This is just a heads up for anyone thinking about uninistalling Cydia.

hmmm. nice save there. i'll keep Cydia around then. might have to re-JB anyway to get Cydia working again. dang...i hate restoring

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR