Clarification on TMobile Data Plans + iPhone 3G(S)

Jaewoot

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
Hi guys! I did all the searching I could. It just wasn't clear to me on how how TMobile data plans and the iPhone work.

I currently have a TMobile G1 with the unlimited web/text data plan at 34.99.

If I were to get an unlocked iPhone (3G or 3GS assuming it's < 3.1), turn off 3G and edit the settings (as seen around other threads) would I be able to use ALL of the iPhones functions (Email, web, and applications) over the TMobile 2G network without being overcharged?

Also since I have to enable roaming, as long as I'm in the US I won't be overcharged right?

My girlfriend is also in the same position except she is using a Blackberry data plan. Will the above apply for her as well?

Looking forward to the responses.

Thanks,

Justin

(Sorry if this is the wrong section :()

Last edited:

Franberry

Sep 1, 2009
Visit site
@jaewoot:

You will be able to use an unlocked 3G or 3GS assuming it's < 3.1) on TMo with the correct smartphone data plan, 3G mode turned off and the correct APN data settings. Just call them.....they will help you.

And Yes, everything will work....email, web, apps, etc.

No,you wont be overcharged if you have the $35 unlimited data plan.

Your GF will have to change over her data plan from the BB plan to the same smartphone plan that you need for your iphone.

Jaewoot

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
@jaewoot:

You will be able to use an unlocked 3G or 3GS assuming it's < 3.1) on TMo with the correct smartphone data plan, 3G mode turned off and the correct APN data settings. Just call them.....they will help you.

And Yes, everything will work....email, web, apps, etc.

No,you wont be overcharged if you have the $35 unlimited data plan.

Your GF will have to change over her data plan from the BB plan to the same smartphone plan that you need for your iphone.

Thank you Franberry.

The reason I ask about the G1/BB unlimited data/text plan is because I have read a few threads that these work (assuming it's 24.99 or 34.99). So I also wanted clarification on that too.

I understand that you might have experience with TMobile but what did you mean by correct plan? Meaning it CAN'T be G1/BB? (Just basing off a few threads I've read while researching).

Thank you again Franberry.

Nht

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
I had the same question when I got my 3gs. But the same plan that worked on the g1 will not work on the iPhone as it is 3g. iPhones cannot support tmobiles 3g so you will have to change your services to the smartphone plan, which is the snail-like EDGE. That's to the best of my knowledge so don't take my word for it

Jaewoot

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
I had the same question when I got my 3gs. But the same plan that worked on the g1 will not work on the iPhone as it is 3g. iPhones cannot support tmobiles 3g so you will have to change your services to the smartphone plan, which is the snail-like EDGE. That's to the best of my knowledge so don't take my word for it

Nht,

Thank you for your response. I understand that iPhone 3G was designed for AT&T. I read at various sites that the AT&T and TMobile 3G networks are on different frequencies or something.

The only reason I ask for the G1/BB plan is that I have read on a few threads where people used these plans (as long as it was either the 24.99 or 34.99 plan, G1, BB, Shadow, etc.) and editing some of the network settings on the iPhone got it to work.

So that is why I was asking for clarification. Some people say any data/messaging plan works as long as it's either 24.99 or 34.99 (assuming you configure your phone right).

I will be searching these forums and others for the threads where I have found this information and post it here to show you guys where I'm coming from.

Thanks again,

Justin

Nht

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
Justin,

Hey man if you find out a way to do it, let me know. I'm looking to downgrade to a lower price plan if possible. Personally I think 25 bucks a month for the smartphone plan is too over priced for the minuscule speed that I'm getting over edge. I've heard that their limited data plan for $10 will work also but it was very vague to be confirmed as true. Post back here on your findings

Jaewoot

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
Justin,

Hey man if you find out a way to do it, let me know. I'm looking to downgrade to a lower price plan if possible. Personally I think 25 bucks a month for the smartphone plan is too over priced for the minuscule speed that I'm getting over edge. I've heard that their limited data plan for $10 will work also but it was very vague to be confirmed as true. Post back here on your findings

Nht,

Blackberry unlimted web/text @ TMobile. Confirmed working so got that one solved.

hxxp://forum.theiphoneblog.com/iphone-plans-carriers/175469-will-unlocked-iphone-t-mobile-work-blackberry-plan.html

Shadow web/text plan @ TMobile (not confirmed).

AZBear3G using the smartphone web/400 text confirmed working.

hxxp://forum.theiphoneblog.com/iphone-plans-carriers/172797-iphone-t-mobile-anyone.html

Still looking to see if the G1 plan works.

Sorry, can't post links yet .. haha.

Franberry

Sep 1, 2009
Visit site
Justin,

@Nht: Dont bother trying to downgrade to the $10 Web-to-Go plan; it wont work with your iPhone. There are still some legacy users who already had this plan or it's predecessor, T-Zones, but TMo has a plan to phase out all the smartphone users from using these plans. Eventually anyone still using these plans will one day abruptly find out that they cant connect to the internet any longer from their phones.

Franberry

Sep 1, 2009
Visit site
FYI - In a conversation I had recently had with one of the TMo CSRs, I asked if there were any plans to enable iPhone users to be able to use the 3G feature on our phones and I was told to look out for something during the 1st qtr of next year. He implied that they were working on something to perhaps "bridge" their 3G frequency so that it would be compatible with ATT's 3G frequency and enable us to get the increased speed. Dont know if he really had any insider info, but I'm optimistic. :) Love the iPhone, hate ATT and I plan on staying with TMo so this is promising news.

Jaewoot

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
FYI - In a conversation I had recently had with one of the TMo CSRs, I asked if there were any plans to enable iPhone users to be able to use the 3G feature on our phones and I was told to look out for something during the 1st qtr of next year. He implied that they were working on something to perhaps "bridge" their 3G frequency so that it would be compatible with ATT's 3G frequency and enable us to get the increased speed. Dont know if he really had any insider info, but I'm optimistic. :) Love the iPhone, hate ATT and I plan on staying with TMo so this is promising news.

This is really interesting. Although 3G isn't my own priority, definitely will be looking forward to something like this. Thanks for the information.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR