Unlock & Jailbreak iPhone 3GS 3.1 with PwnageTool 3.1.3

DaPeeps

Sep 11, 2009
Visit site
ECID and Cydia. How does this work? I was jailbroken up to 3.0.1. Does that count.

Open up Cydia. If it says at the top "This device has 3.0 ECID SHSH on file", then you are good to go, even if you upgraded to 3.1 already. You just use Sauriks method of downgrading back to 3.0, then you jailbreak 3.1 with the newly listed methods out there.

If it doesnt say that in Cydia...then you are S.O.L. for the moment.

smileyboy

Aug 19, 2004
Visit site
Cool, I'll check tonight. I'll post back with my findings. Thanks for the info. Didn't know I could downgrade.

htc news

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Is there a way to check if your 3gS was jailbroken on 3.0? I know it is sad but I cannot remember if the one I have now was jailbroken. It is already updated to 3.1 so I suspect I am out of luck for now.

Thanks

mpfrink

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
Open up Cydia. If it says at the top "This device has 3.0 ECID SHSH on file", then you are good to go, even if you upgraded to 3.1 already. You just use Sauriks method of downgrading back to 3.0, then you jailbreak 3.1 with the newly listed methods out there.

If it doesnt say that in Cydia...then you are S.O.L. for the moment.

This confuses me, If I was jailbroke on 3.0 or 3.01 (don't remember which one) and upgraded to 3.1, how would I open Cydia?

I jailbroke my 3GS using Redsnow on Windows XP. After 3.1 came out, freaking Quickpwn.com said that jailbrake works so I went ahead and updated. I have a Mac at work. Am I out of luck for now?

Noonan

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
I have a 3.0.1 jailbroken 3GS on AT&T.

What confuses me about the Dev-Team blog is:
GOLDEN RULE: If you are using a iPhone 3G or iPhone 3G(S) with ultrasn0w and rely on ultrasn0w to obtain cellular service then you should only update your device with an .ipsw that is made with the new PwnageTool. There are no second chances with this. You need to remember that PwnageTool will provide an upgrade path to newer versions of the iPhone software in the future.

Does this pertain to me? Not sure if I "rely" on Ultrasn0w for cellular service.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
No, you don't rely on ultrasn0w for service. That's talking about people that need to unlock their iPhone to use on a non-iPhone carrier ( such as using an iPhone on TMobile ).

Noonan

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
OK, Just got the break- going to attempt it right now, let you know how it goes. Thanks for the help big9erfan!

Noonan

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
EMERGENCY!
I did everything right.

When I am restoring with the ISPW, the status bar loads and fills like 2-3 times and then I get a an error message that says iPhone cannot be restore (1600)

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
There waS a whole slew of comments like this on iPhonehacks.com.

If you're getting the 1600 error, that means 1 of 2 things.

1) You accidentally upgraded to 3.1 WITHOUT saving your ECID SHSH files in Cydia. This means you're screwed. That you CANT downgrade your baseband. No more jailbreaking fo you.

Or

2) Youre putting your iPhone into DFU mode when it's time to restore using the custom firmware built by Pwnage. You're not supposed to put it in DFU mode. You're supposed to put it in standard restore mode. NO DFU!

Let us know how it works for you.

If you can't upgrade/jailbreak now, you could always wait for greenp0is0n.

Noonan

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Well before I tried this.. I made sure that it said I had the 3.1 ECID SHSH file on the top banner of Cydia. I am 100% sure that I was running 3.0.1.

I put the iPhone into restore mode by plugging it in, holding the sleep/wake and home button at the same time and held them until the screen turned black, and then I held the home button until iTunes said that it was in recovery mode.
Is that what I did right/wrong??

Right now I cant even get the phone to turn on. When I plug it into my computer iTunes pops up telling me to restore. I can select an ISPW file but the ONLY one I can find (posted above) isn't working for me.

Im worried!