MMS Update interfere with my Jailbroken 3G on 3.0?

garrett490

Mar 26, 2009
Visit site
Hey if i update my iphone with whatever will allow me to send/receive mms today will it mess up anything? I have a 3G running version 3.0.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
If he's talking about the carrier update it shouldn't do anything to your JB. In Canada we received the carrier update months ago, I was on 3.0 JB at the time, I did the update and nothing was changed in regards to the JB. The update is just for certain settings and not the whole OS.

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
If he's talking about the carrier update it shouldn't do anything to your JB. In Canada we received the carrier update months ago, I was on 3.0 JB at the time, I did the update and nothing was changed in regards to the JB. The update is just for certain settings and not the whole OS.

it's now been proven the update requires 3.1

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Yes, but in the US, the MMS carrier update requires the new version of iTunes and version 3.1, so those of us on the 3G will have to find alternate means.

I'm on 3.0, and got the Sinful MMS & Tethering package to work flawlessly on 3.0.

futurecode

Dec 12, 2008
Visit site
You don't need to have 3.1 for the "official" carrier update. Itunes just "automatically" makes you update to 3.1 before it'll let you automatically update the carrier settings.

I'm here at work and we have 3 iphones. One 3G with a 3.1 Jailbreak, and two 3.0 Jailbreaks (a 3G and a 3Gs). I tried to plug my phone (the 3Gs) in all morning with nothing but the standard "there is a new {3.1} update for your iPhone" message. I took the Jailbroken 3.1 3G and plugged that in and got the carrier update message and updated it's carrier. Then I Plugged in the 3.0 3G and 3Gs and "hold shift and hit update" to manually select the official at&t carrier file that itunes downloaded a second earlier and updated both J/B 3.0's.

So it works for both 3.1 and 3.0, just need to force the carrier update.

excberry

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
You don't need to have 3.1 for the "official" carrier update. Itunes just "automatically" makes you update to 3.1 before it'll let you automatically update the carrier settings.

I'm here at work and we have 3 iphones. One 3G with a 3.1 Jailbreak, and two 3.0 Jailbreaks (a 3G and a 3Gs). I tried to plug my phone (the 3Gs) in all morning with nothing but the standard "there is a new {3.1} update for your iPhone" message. I took the Jailbroken 3.1 3G and plugged that in and got the carrier update message and updated it's carrier. Then I Plugged in the 3.0 3G and 3Gs and "hold shift and hit update" to manually select the official at&t carrier file that itunes downloaded a second earlier and updated both J/B 3.0's.

can you please detail these steps? when i hold shift and update, it asks me to point to a ipsw, but no carrier file.

futurecode

Dec 12, 2008
Visit site
First,

1. Open Command Prompt (windows: it?s in Program Files -> Accessories).

2. Copy and paste the following command and press enter:
cd C:\Program Files\iTunes\

If you?re using a 64-bit operating system use the following command instead and press enter:
cd C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\

3. Copy and paste the following command in Command Prompt and press enter:
iTunes.exe /setPrefInt carrier-testing 1

4. For the the new offical carrier file 5.5 use the link epphllps provided above or
If you have donwloaded the new offical carrier file 5.5 then file is located in (windows):
C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Carrier Support\

5. And when you shift + update, look over on the lower right for the file type you want to be seen, it should give you the option to select wither an ipsw or a ipcc.

6. Choose the new offical .ipcc and restart when done.

Last edited:

futurecode

Dec 12, 2008
Visit site
im on a mac do u no how 2 do it on a mac

Not 100 percent on this as I don't have a mac handy at the moment but I'm pretty sure this will work.

Close iTunes
Save the AT&T Carrier Settings File on your Desktop
Open the ?terminal.app? on your Mac which you can find in Applications/Utilities
Copy/Paste into the terminal.app the following command:
defaults write com.apple.iTunes carrier-testing -bool TRUE
Close terminal
Open iTunes
Plug your iPhone into your Mac
Select your iPhone inside iTunes in the sidebar
Press and keep the Option-Key hold while clicking on ?Check for Update?
Now select the AT&T Carrier Settings File on your Desktop and hit ?Choose?
Let iTunes install the AT&T Carrier Settings File
After installing unplug your iPhone and restart your iPhone

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site

I don't know if it's because your carrier update was released after 3.1, if there is a difference between US and Canada, because the difference between 3.0 and 3.0.1 was a minor change? or perhaps there's a difference between 3G and 3Gs? when our carrier update was released I was on 3.0 and 3.0.1 was the latest firmware at that time. It didn't force me to update the firmware in order to update the carrier file. It just asked if I wanted to update the carrier file I did and all was good with the world.

mcdan333#AC

Jul 30, 2008
Visit site
iTunes gives me some kind of error when i try to update the file.
I'm using a 3GS with Firmware 3.0 Jailbroken and iTunes 9.0.

If you have "AT&T Carrier Logo" (or maybe some other carrier logo package?) installed in Cydia, remove it, then reboot, then try again with iTunes. That's what worked for me.

iphone4idiots

Sep 22, 2009
Visit site
I tried to download the link given earlier in this thread and its a folder called payload with a file ATT US.bundle. I can't select it? Shouldn't be an ipsw file??

I have a 3G jailbroken with 3.0. I installed the SINFUL package file and I can see the camera but I can't send or receive cause I'm on 4.0 carrier settings.

Can someone give me a link to 5.0 or 5.5 so I can get this working or do I need to undo the SINFULL thing??

Thanks in advance

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2