3GS Jailbreak with Vista/Redsn0w Problem

Makisupa79

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
I have the correct ISPW and redsn0w for my 3gs running 3.0.1

I fired up redsn0w, gave it the ISPW and followed the instructions to put it in recovery mode and re-attached it to the usb cord.

When I plugged it in, I got a "new device drivers found" and something about iphone recovery mode message from vista. I watched multiple Youtube videos showing how to jailbreak, and didn't see this pop up once.

My vista options were install drivers, ask me later, or never ask again...I chose ask me later.

Anyway, now redsn0w is not advancing the jailbreak and the recovery mode instructiosn page is still up. My phone still shows the usb/itunes logo and nothing is happening. Been sitting this way for 10 minutes. Don't know what to do.

Should I detach my phone, reattach it and allow vista to install the device drivers? I'm at a loss for what to do here.

I don't want to do anythign that will force me to have to do a full recovery through itunes and be stuck with 3.1, so what are my options?

Makisupa79

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
Well, after sitting in recovery mode for 10-15 mins, my phone just restarted, and appears to be fine. The jailbreak was unsuccessful, but I am still running 3.0.1 and the tethering hack is still available.

So what should I do next time I try jailbreaking and this vista/new device driver option comes up?

Makisupa79

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
And, more importantly, I guess I should ask in case I try jailbreaking again and run into the same error...what is the proper way to take it iphone out of recovery mode without doing a restore?

Makisupa79

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
Grrr....I just googled this, and the first google hit was this thread. I know I can't be the only one with this New Device Drivers error found when connecting the iphone in recovery mode to a Vista machine. Help?

Makisupa79

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
I doubt it has anything to do with it, but I did enable tethering w/o jailbreaking my iphone last week by following the instructions on this site

mydigitallife.info/2009/06/28/activate-and-enable-iphone-as-internet-tethering-wireless-modem-without-hack-or-jailbreak/

obviously the above link starts with (http : //www .) but I cant post links yet.

Makisupa79

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
Also, FWIW, I tried again today, and encountered the same problems described in my first post...as soon as I attached in DFU mode, I got the Vista message, hit "ask me later", redsn0w would not advance, and after 10-15 mins, my iphone rebooted and was running normal and still in 3.0.1 and not jailbroken.

Makisupa79

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
I am going to get my post count up with a couple bumps, and post the screen shot of the exact vista message I get next time I try jailbreaking if I don't get an answer in a day or two. Maybe that will help if I am not describing the message well enough.

jglowe74

Jun 9, 2009
joshlowe.posterous.com
this is weird.

i have Vista and iPhone 3GS also. when trying to JB with redsn0w i was put in DFU mode several times before i got it right. never once did my PC say anything about these device drivers needing to be installed. but i didn't have the tethering hack installed on my iPhone either. could this be the source of the problem?

since the PC is wanting you to install new device drivers, i'm wondering if it's not because the USB is needing updated to support the tethering? wonder what the harm could be in installing these drivers on your PC. i wouldn't think it would effect the iPhone any.

anyway, what i ended up doing to JB was connect my iPhone to USB and had iPhone powered on. launched redsn0w, pointed to my IPSW file for 3GS running 3.0.1. this worked fine. i'm still JB!

what i did PRIOR to this was i had iPhone powered off THEN connected to USB. that kept putting me back in DFU mode over, and over, and over...

good luck. let us know how this turns out.

jglowe74

Jun 9, 2009
joshlowe.posterous.com
this is from a different thread discussion and how i got my solution:

HI-OH! i finally got it to work. installed successfully and Cydia is present. hallelujah!

i followed some instructions on this forum that said to make sure the phone is powered off the and connected to USB. i would then enter DFU mode by holding power, then power & home keys, then home key by itself. that's when redsn0w would crash on me.

well, i kept iPhone ON this time and connected to USB. THEN launched redsn0w. it gave me a different set of instructions to disconnect then power off, then hold home key and reconnect, THEN launch redsn0w. it took off right away installing the hack. such an easy thing that i made into a difficult thing. but the directions are misleading on the original post. unless i'm reading them wrong. http://www.theiphoneblog.com/2009/06...dsn0w-edition/

Makisupa79

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
Thanks jg- I don't know if it's the tethering or not, but I'm hesitant to install them because I'm afraid with the phone in reco ery mode, whatever these drivers are might kick me to iTunes and force me to restore to 3.1

if I don't find an answer soon, I think I may just try this on my parents XP CPU next time I visit them. If that fails then maybe it is the tethering.

Thanks for the advice, but I was actual aware of when to have it on due to one of your older posts. Can't remember the OPs name, but you did a good job of explaining the redsn0w process, so thanks!

Makisupa79

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
Thanks. Thinkim going to give up on vista and try on xp. I have posted this on 3 message boards but can't find an answer. If I do find one I will report back for future users with the same problem.

Makisupa79

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
Ok, tried uninstalling and re-downloading iTunes...someone on another forum thought that would help. Cross your fingers, here goes try 3...if this doesn't work, I'm holding out for the XP machine.

Makisupa79

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
Well, we are now 0-3 in the Makisupa79 Vs. Vista Jailbreak Bonanza folks.

Same results as the last two attempts (at least I hope so)...waiting for the iPhone to reboot and leave recovery mode like it did the last two times.

Makisupa79

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
Success!!! Although not over Vista. I gave up, tried it on an XP machine, and I jailbroke my 3GS on the first try. So in the future, if anyone finds this thread by searching, if Vista is giving you problems, just beg borrow or steal a new CPU running XP.

jglowe74

Jun 9, 2009
joshlowe.posterous.com
Success!!! Although not over Vista. I gave up, tried it on an XP machine, and I jailbroke my 3GS on the first try. So in the future, if anyone finds this thread by searching, if Vista is giving you problems, just beg borrow or steal a new CPU running XP.

awesome! i too, almost gave up on my vista machine. but eventually it let me JB. and i've never looked back since. 3.1? not me, not yet. i'll wait for the DevTeam to update before i even consider updating my OS to 3.1.

enjoy

DaPeeps

Sep 11, 2009
Visit site
wow...that is strange. I've jailbroken 3GS's on Vista and Windows 7, and never had an issue. The only problem I had was when I tried jailbreaking a 3GS with Redsnow 0.7...it would not work until I used 0.8

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro