Apple will officially unlock iPhones in Finland

alokeprasad

Feb 18, 2005
Visit site
Apple’s Official iPhone 3G Unlock - NYTimes.com

"In June, while over 1 million early adopters in the U.S. picked up their brand new iPhone 3GS devices, I was anxiously waiting for the official launch in my current country of residence, Finland. I picked up my iPhone 3GS in Helsinki just two weeks ago, when it was finally launched by Sonera.

Regarding Sonera, think of it as a less-repugnant version of AT&T. As the exclusive distributor of the iPhone over in Finland, Sonera has turned out to be a somewhat benevolent carrier. The carrier?s unlimited data plan is reasonably priced, and home hacking your iPhone to tether to your Macbook is positively encouraged.

And now I?ve discovered that Sonera is also happy to lend a helping hand in unlocking your old iPhone 3G. When the 3G was released last year, Sonera customers had to sign up for a two-year contract. When upgrading to the iPhone 3GS, those same customers are given the option to pay off the remainder of their original 3G contract. Paying off the contract, and thus completing the two years prematurely, entitles the customer to have their iPhone 3G unlocked."
"Going the legit route was a much more painless process than using a proxy SIM or the Dev Team?s unofficial unlock. Also worth noting is that, unlike some of the illicit approaches, this unlock is permanent: I?ll be able to keep updating the iPhone?s OS without losing the ability to use any carrier SIM in the device."

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods