Aptbackup and Chronus. How to restore?

Larzo#IM

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Hi all, I have both Aptbackup and Chronus on my phone since I jailbroke it about a week ago. I've backed up my JB'd apps on Aptbackup and my save states/data files via Chronus. My question is: Once 3.1 comes out and they create a jailbreak for it, how do I restore my jailbroken apps with their data when I reinstall Aptbackup and Chronus? I know that Aptbackup has a "restore" button, so that seems simple enough (I'm guessing it does this by recalling the iPhone serial # or something of the like?).

However, I do not see any kind of "restore" feature for Chronus. In the future when I re-Jailbreak, how do I restore my data from JB'd apps stored in Chronus?

Thanks!

chrstphr.ross

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I believe you have to SSH into your iPhone and copy the Chronus backup files from the chronus folder. Then when you restore, you just put them back. I'm not entirely sure cause I haven't had to restore yet.

Larzo#IM

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I believe you have to SSH into your iPhone and copy the Chronus backup files from the chronus folder. Then when you restore, you just put them back. I'm not entirely sure cause I haven't had to restore yet.

Can anyone tell me how to SSH into my phone and copy the backup files?

chrstphr.ross

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I'm running on my Mac using Cyberduck. (iPhone Browser works well for the PC) You should be able to find Chronus backup files under /var/mobile/Library/Preferences/TimeCapsule/

There should be a folder for each of the backed up apps you made. just copy those out to your computer. Then when you re break, you'll just need to put those files back in the same place.

Larzo#IM

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Sweet, thank you! Would downloading DiskAid be a working alternative to SSH into my phone? Since I can access the files via the PC?

Skywalker

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
Sweet, thank you! Would downloading DiskAid be a working alternative to SSH into my phone? Since I can access the files via the PC?

Yes, but DiskAid is no longer free. I moved to iFunBox as an alternative.

Be careful with AptBackup. It did not work for me on the 3.0 update.

I take screenshots of my Cydia file list and save them to the desk top for future reference.

Larzo#IM

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Yes, but DiskAid is no longer free. I moved to iFunBox as an alternative.

Be careful with AptBackup. It did not work for me on the 3.0 update.

I take screenshots of my Cydia file list and save them to the desk top for future reference.

Nice, does iFunBox work the same functions as DiskAid does?

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
Instead of aptbaqckup, I recommend PkgBackUp. It worked very well for me from 3.0 to 3.0.1, it even remembered settings. Very glad I spent the 1.99.

For aptbackup....you will need to back up...sync (back up your iPhone), once you update and rejailbeak, restore your phone from back up, install aptbackup, and then restore your cydia packages.

Larzo#IM

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Instead of aptbaqckup, I recommend PkgBackUp. It worked very well for me from 3.0 to 3.0.1, it even remembered settings. Very glad I spent the 1.99.

For aptbackup....you will need to back up...sync (back up your iPhone), once you update and rejailbeak, restore your phone from back up, install aptbackup, and then restore your cydia packages.

Does PkgBackUp save and restore your cydia apps and packages?

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
It saves the list of packages and settings as a contact in your iPhone. Once you upgrade, rejailbreak and sync your phone (to get your contacts)...just install pkgbackup and restore. It will download all your packages and it kept my settings as well.

Larzo#IM

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
It saves the list of packages and settings as a contact in your iPhone. Once you upgrade, rejailbreak and sync your phone (to get your contacts)...just install pkgbackup and restore. It will download all your packages and it kept my settings as well.

Nice, thanks for the info.

It doesnt save your data too, correct? That's for Chronus to do?

bergman

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
New phone

Will this same routine restore my JB apps and settiings to a new iPhone when I get to upgrade at the end of the month? I currently have the AptBackup app on my 2G.

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
Will this same routine restore my JB apps and settiings to a new iPhone when I get to upgrade at the end of the month? I currently have the AptBackup app on my 2G.

I don't see why not, you just need to make sure your apps are compatible with the 3GS.

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
Nice, thanks for the info.

It doesnt save your data too, correct? That's for Chronus to do?

Chronus saves/backs up data for app store and stock iPhone apps, it does not back up jailbreak apps. Also, my comments about PkgBackUp, were incorrect. I restored and rejailbroke yesterday (just to see how well chronus worked, was not experiencing any problems) and PkgBackUp did not keep my settings. It seems to work similar to aptbackup, the exception is that it stores your cydia package list in a contact. Aptbackup requires you to restore from back up to get to your cydia package list. Many times this is not necessarily advisable. Restoring from back up on a jailbroken phone can cause issues.

At any rate, the combination of the two, chronus and pkgbackup, saved me a few hours of reinstalling and setting up apps.

Larzo#IM

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Chronus saves/backs up data for app store and stock iPhone apps, it does not back up jailbreak apps. Also, my comments about PkgBackUp, were incorrect. I restored and rejailbroke yesterday (just to see how well chronus worked, was not experiencing any problems) and PkgBackUp did not keep my settings. It seems to work similar to aptbackup, the exception is that it stores your cydia package list in a contact. Aptbackup requires you to restore from back up to get to your cydia package list. Many times this is not necessarily advisable. Restoring from back up on a jailbroken phone can cause issues.

At any rate, the combination of the two, chronus and pkgbackup, saved me a few hours of reinstalling and setting up apps.

Ahh, thanks for testing those out. Looks like I'll be going with pkgbackup instead of aptbackup. Restoring from back up each time would be a real pain in the ass. I'm not going to try it out until I need it at 3.1, now to sit back and wait...

chrstphr.ross

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I just did a restore recently and found something quite interesting. Chronus, when restoring from an iPhone backup, saves it's backups. So you shouldn't have to SSH and pull the info as it's already there. That was the case for me anyway. I pulled the backup files just in case before i did a re-jailbreak, and when going back to put them in the proper folder, they were all there already.

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
I just did a restore recently and found something quite interesting. Chronus, when restoring from an iPhone backup, saves it's backups. So you shouldn't have to SSH and pull the info as it's already there. That was the case for me anyway. I pulled the backup files just in case before i did a re-jailbreak, and when going back to put them in the proper folder, they were all there already.

The point of Chronus is so you do not have to restore from back up. You can restore your info per application. If you are going to restore from back up (not recommended) you do not need chronus.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods