Jailbreaking question (3.0.1/ iPhone 3G)

giorgio.iurcotta

Aug 7, 2009
Visit site
iPhone 3G, 2.2.1, locked. Should I upgrade?

Hello all,
thank you in advance for any answer.
I just bought an used iPhone 3G and it is locked. I read some forum about the 2.2.1 where they say the only way to unlock it is to use a turbo sim cause of the firmware (I guess is because of it, not sure). I wonder if upgrading it to 3.0.1 will be easier to unlock it.
When I plug it to iTunes it says he doesn't recognize the sim card, should I borrow a AT&T sim card from my girlfriend and try to connect with that one? She has a regular contract with that company but I am a T-Mobile lover. Cause of that I have to find the way to unlock my new phone. I really hope you guys can do something for me.
Have a great week end!
Thank you again,
Giorgio

Tramain

May 7, 2009
Visit site
Hello all,
thank you in advance for any answer.
I just bought an used iPhone 3G and it is locked. I read some forum about the 2.2.1 where they say the only way to unlock it is to use a turbo sim cause of the firmware (I guess is because of it, not sure). I wonder if upgrading it to 3.0.1 will be easier to unlock it.
When I plug it to iTunes it says he doesn't recognize the sim card, should I borrow a AT&T sim card from my girlfriend and try to connect with that one? She has a regular contract with that company but I am a T-Mobile lover. Cause of that I have to find the way to unlock my new phone. I really hope you guys can do something for me.
Have a great week end!
Thank you again,
Giorgio
Take your T-Mobile sim out update and then jailbreak and unlock.

giorgio.iurcotta

Aug 7, 2009
Visit site
Cool, for future reference and for people that have a 3G, just update everything, download Redsn0w and the .ipsw file that you need when asked during the installation. The only thing I noticed is that you have to use firefox to download it, don't use safari!
Follow instruction that you can easily find on google *( I am not allowed to put a link here) and after jailbreak it you can unlock it. It works with me, everything is fine. I use tmobile data plan (tzone $4.99), mobile me, itunes for sync, everything is perfect.
Thank you Tramain.

racedog

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
3Gs & redsn0w - black screen, no reboot

I have a two month old 3Gs which I use on Tmo. I downloaded redsn0w to jailbreak. When iTunes did the 3.01 upgrade it told me that I had an unsupported sim but the upgrade appears to have finished. I unplugged the phone and pulled the sim. Then, I ran redsn0w and started the upgrade. It has now been sitting at the "Waiting for reboot" screen for over ten minutes.

What do I do and where to I go from here?

R

racedog

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
Ok, just did a restore and now its telling me that the phone is not activated. IOW, the phone is bricked. When I put the Tmo sim in it it brings up an emergency call screen but I can't get back into the iphone.

I'm going to toss this piece of s**t and Apple can kiss my a**. An app store where they decide what you can get, what words are ok for you to see and they make sure that nothing that might compete with them or AT&T is allowed to get in there either.

I will check back in here for the next couple of days to see if anyone has any ideas but I don't think it looks good right now.

R

Tramain

May 7, 2009
Visit site
Ok, just did a restore and now its telling me that the phone is not activated. IOW, the phone is bricked. When I put the Tmo sim in it it brings up an emergency call screen but I can't get back into the iphone.

I'm going to toss this piece of s**t and Apple can kiss my a**. An app store where they decide what you can get, what words are ok for you to see and they make sure that nothing that might compete with them or AT&T is allowed to get in there either.

I will check back in here for the next couple of days to see if anyone has any ideas but I don't think it looks good right now.

R

Take the sim card out and jailbreak with redsn0w and go into cydia and download ulltrasn0w

Last edited:

racedog

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
Tramain, thank you again for the advice. I will give that a try but when I do that it just sits at waiting for reboot. It says it could take up to 5 minutes but I've left it there for up to 30 minutes and nothing happens.

One question. At the end of the jailbreak process with redsn0w it says to release the power button but not the home button. Am I supposed to keep holding the home button down until it reboots automatically?

R

Tramain

May 7, 2009
Visit site
Tramain, thank you again for the advice. I will give that a try but when I do that it just sits at waiting for reboot. It says it could take up to 5 minutes but I've left it there for up to 30 minutes and nothing happens.

One question. At the end of the jailbreak process with redsn0w it says to release the power button but not the home button. Am I supposed to keep holding the home button down until it reboots automatically?

R

Yes keep holding the home button.

racedog

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
Pulled the sim, turned off the phone, ran redsn0w followed the instructions and when it told me to release the power button I did and kept on holding the home button down. I saw it say that it uploaded the ram disk and there seemed to be a quick reboot but I wasn't sure it happened too fast. I kept on holding the home button and it is now on the screen that says "Please wait while your device is being jailbroken" and below it says "Please wait for Reboot". That's where it sits, it doesn't reboot and the "finish" button never becomes active.

R

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR