iPhone 2g Problem(s)...Text Messages

dianab

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
I just recently upgraded my firmware, I think previous to 3.0 I had 1.1.2 or something like that, I can't remember now, it's been so long. But anyways.

I did the jailbreak and unlock using redsnow, and watching youtube videos (very helpful)... after everything was completed, I was able to restore my iphone with my contacts, pictures, etc.

However, when I text message someone, we'd text back and forth (sometimes for quite awhile) and when i click "send" my screen will flash and everything I have in my text box will disappear along with everything in my (text) messages folder --including text messages sent and received from other people.

When it recovers, I click on my messages icon and everything has disappeared, previous messages, messages from different people, etc. The box will be completely empty, and I'd have to compose another message.

My other problem is... sometimes I'd have 2 messages box open for one person. I would reply in box #1 and her response would be in box #2 --it will show up as a new text message? But both boxes will stay open and I'm not sure (because I didn't try it) if I can respond back in either one of those boxes?

My last problem is if I don't get back to text messages received, buy the time I wake my phone up from sleep mode, I will see that I have text, but when I slide to unlock my screen to try to check my messages, my text messages would be empty? The only thing I can remember is who sent me a message or how many messages were sent. If it was only 1 message, I am able to read the message because it appears on my lock screen, but if i want to reply to it and read it under messages... it wouldn't be there.

I don't delete my messages after I send them. I usually keep everything for a day and delete it before bed, but I haven't deleted anything on my own since my upgrade...

I've rebooted my phone hoping it was a small glitch but it didn't fix the problem. I also restored my iphone, did another jailbreak and unlock, but the problem is still there.

Oh and one more thing... Before my upgrade... when I was on a text message screen and another text from a different person would come in... in that top left hand corner it will say "Messages (2)" --depending on how many messages I received while I was answering another text... now it doesn't do that anymore.

Can someone please help me! I think I'm the only person in this world with this problem! Ha! :p

Thanks!

I would post pictures or make a video but I don't have time right now, but if need be, I can.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
This should probably be moved to the jailbreak forum. Were you experiencing any of these issues prior to jailbreak or did you just jailbreak right after the 3.0 upgrade?

dianab

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
I had my former boss unlock & jailbreak my iphone when I first bought it and this was probably back in I want to say April of 2008? I never had problems with it, only my youtube wasn't working but I never unlocked the phone or attempted to jailbreak it again. It was working fine, I was able to dl apps, text without problems, etc.

After I upgraded my firmware to 3.0 (on Tuesday, July 21st), I started having this problem. I did it myself this time, and I asked a friend of mine who updated his sister's 2g iphone and he says that they don't have any problems with their phone. I had my phone on the oldest firmware for the longest time, and figured it was time to update and now I have this problem. =(

How do I move this to jailbreak forum?

dianab

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
My phone is not activated... I bought the phone off of someone, so I had to unlock it. When my former boss unlocked my phone, he told me I cannot update on itunes or it will lock up my phone and I will need to jailbreak and unlock it again.

I did update via itunes, because I was told that I had to start with fresh 8.2, then I can unlock it and upgrade my firmware to 3.0, so I did just that.

I updated from itunes to 8.2,
used redsnow to jailbreak and unlock my phone.

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
so your not on the AT&T network, correct? If you were I would say restore and check to see if the problem exists in the legit world, then re-jailbreak. but if your not on AT&T I would not know how to proceed. good luck! I hope you find your answer.

dianab

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
I am on AT&T.

I did the jailbreak and unlock for 3.0 on Tuesday, and used my phone on Wednesday when I realized I was having problems only with my text messages.

So on Wednesday, after work, I restored my iphone, opened redsnow to jailbreak and unlock my phone again, figuring that it would fix the problem, but it didn't.

I'm having the same problem and will most likely go home today and restore it again, jailbreak it and unlock it, but I don't think the problem will go away :(

GMJeff

May 3, 2009
Visit site
There have been reports that the jailbreak apps may not work properly for 3.0, yet. Could be a bug with the jailbreak app.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
post up what the problem was to help any future people having the same problem. I've been thinking of upgrading the firmware on my 1gen and unlock and jailbreak so I'd like to see what the problem was incase I run into it.

dianab

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Could you post what the problem was and how you fixed it because Im having the same issue... Thank you

do you know if you can compose a new set of notes and save it? I just wanted to know because I was having problems composing and saving new notes... along with my SMS of course.

I will post my diagnosis on the next post. :D

dianab

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Also!! Do you get ANY notifications when you are texting someone and a different person texts you? I also had problems with getting notifications when I'd have multiple texts going... my phone would vibrate but there would be no notifications of message received.

dianab

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
TO DIAGNOSE THE SMS PROBLEM! and POSSIBLY FIX IT.

DO NOT RESTORE BACKUP AFTER YOU UNLOCK and/or JAILBREAK YOUR PHONE!!![/CENTER]

This is ONLY a test to determine if your phone is indeed experience problems that you don't understand! You will need to restore, unlock and jailbreak your phone about 2-3 times... so I hope you're not to busy!

1st Test

**You will need to restore, jailbreak and unlock your phone... REMEMBER DO NOT RESTORE BACKUP WITH THIS FIRST TEST**

Once you're phone has been successfully unlocked and jailbroken... it should be a virgin... there should be no contacts, pictures, notes, songs, etc.

Test out your phone... (memorizing phone numbers really help)

First text a few people, you will need to type in their phone numbers to text them because your contacts list is gone... so I hope you remember a few numbers! =P ... keep the texts going... text at least 2 other people so you can see if you get the notifications for new text messages from a different sender.

If you experienced the same problems as I did... you will see that your phone works normally, all your texts are going through, all the notifications of text message are showing at the top left hand corner... and you are able to compose and save a new set of notes.. GREAT =)

Now you must be pretty anxious to restore your backup information...

DO NOT restore your backup information until you are through testing your iphone. So you can see that its working "normally" again... and you're a happy camper.

2nd Test
Now go ahead and restore all your information back into your phone... (backup)

If you experienced the same problems as I did... you will see that your phone is acting up again, when you're texting someone and another person texts you, you will not see a notification! And at times when you are trying to send a text, it will completely close out on you and delete your inbox for your messages! Your notes will no longer let you save any new notes... frustrating? We're back with the same problem again?

3rd Test

THIS WILL REQUIRE YOU TO MANUALLY SET UP A FEW THINGS!

This one will require you to backup your iphone (please see a how to video if you do not know how to save your information to the computer... mine saved to my itunes... IDK how to check my back up information... I don't have time to do it right now.) so you can view it on your computer in case you want to see your contacts, pictures, etc. before hand...

Go ahead and backup your information (once again), restore your iphone (again), jailbreak and unlock your phone (again)

We're gonna get back to having a virgin phone... that is free of SMS problems...

If you know how to restore contacts without using itunes (I HAD TO DO MINE MANUALLY!!!) then we can say that you are good to go... and your phone should work. Put your pictures back in, songs, notes, etc... (do not use the sync restore backup thing on itunes or it will cause problems again!)

The only thing on my iphone that I had to put back was my contacts... i saved my pictures and don't need them for any reason... I didn't have notes that were that important to me... so my phone is like new (again).

I did not experience any problems after my 3rd jailbreak and unlock... I did not use my backup restore option on my itunes because that was my problem...

I can only suggest treating your iphone like a virgin...

If this has helped you (sorry for the very long essay) --you can now enjoy your phone again =) or if it didn't help you... try downloading a new firmware... I thought they were all the same... IDK...

let me know how it goes... I hope I didn't complicate the process. I had to restore, jailbreak and unlock my phone about 8 times... :p

mlfraga

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
same problems with 1st gen iPhone when upgraded to 3.0 or 3.0.1

I am experiencing the exact same problem. I have the 1gen iPhone bought in the US when they 1st came out. I moved to Europe so I had to take it to a store to jailbreak it so I could use it with a European provider. After 1.5 years I took it to the same store again to jailbreak again and actualize the software. They put version 3.0 and I took it home, restored the info and then my sms and notes started acting up (same problems you described here). Took it to the store again, they repeated the jailbreak and installed 3.0.1 this time. I checked everything worked ok (sms, notes, etc.) and took it back home to restore all my info. Then, problems again.

So my question is: can I restore ONLY the contacts and calendars on my phone (not manually please!) to avoid having the same problems again? Is there any way yo modify the iTunes back up so it only contains cal and contacts info?

Also, I have to keep going to the store (and pay!) every time I have to jailbreak and install new software on my 1st gen iPhone because I don't know how to do it on my home Mac. I'd be really helpful if you could give me the reference/webpage with software and instructions to do it myself...

Thanks

Marta

[d]

Aug 14, 2009
Visit site
I have just recently upgraded and jailbroke my 1st gen iPhone (using pwnage) and I also had problems with text message and notes, but not quite the same problems. I did restore from backup so it might be the problem but I don't currently have the time to do it all over again.

Text message problem:
When I create a new message and send it, the message gets delivered but it is not displayed in Messages.app (the name of the person I sent it to is not on the list) if it's a "new person". But if the name of the person is already on the list, the previous messages are displayed correctly, but the message that I just sent is not displayed. When the person replies and I reply back, my message was displayed for a few seconds, that it disappears. So it looks like that person is sending me all these messages without me replying back, even though all my messages are delivered.

Notes problems:
The notes are stored as it was before. However, when I open one, the title and the content of the note do not match. They are all switched around randomly. I also cannot edit, delete, or create new notes. I can only view them.

Any suggestions on what I should do?

Thanks in advance

dianab

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
iPhone Backup

Try and check out this website on how to back up your information. I never restored my iphone back. I just manually added my contacts. So I went on a few websites to look up information on how to backup the iphone without using itunes.. I will post the site on my next post.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen