This stuff is way over my head...need some advice

tony2979#CB

Jun 16, 2008
Visit site
Hi all, I apologize in advance for sounding like a idiot here, but.......

I had a iPhone with AT&T until my dear wife insisted that we switch to T-Mobile :mad:

She is happy with her new Blackberry 8900, but I'm NOT happy with mine. I miss the iphone.

So....I'm considering buying an unlocked phone, but really have no idea what is involved here, so I have some questions for you experts.

1) Is it really as simple as slip my T-Mobile sim card in and everything works? I have an unlimited data plan with T-Mob, will that work on the iPhone?

2) I assume the phone has to be jailbroken to be unlocked? Does this effect the iPhone operation in any way? I guess what I am asking is will I know the difference between using my unlocked iphone and my old locked iphone with AT&T.

3) I see a LOT of posts about not updating new software releases, etc. What happens when you do? Does it relock the phone or what? I would hate for that to happen as I would have no idea how to unlock it again.

Thanks very much for your time. I am pretty clueless on this stuff.

Cagey47

Jun 26, 2009
Visit site
I just went through this whole process, i was using a Dash on T-Mobile and everything was ok but i always wanted an iphone. So 1 day i thought hmmm i'll buy an unlocked 2g iphone off of E-Bay and see how it goes, after some extensive reading on the forums and checking on E-bay i finally got one. It was a very nice condition 2g for $200 (you don't need a 3g on t-Mobile because it is on a diff frequency), it was already set up with Cydia, a new program called Icy and Winterboard to install all the programs. (this may all sound confusing but you will get the hang of it), To answer your questions...#1 UL and JB in my opinion does not affect the operation at all. And yes you will see a big difference in the flexability and the many more apps (free) you can put on it.

#2 Once you get your Itunes set up correctly (uncheck updates etc.etc.) you will not have a problem.
Don't be afraid to dive in and try, my SIM went right in without any problems, just had to set up the internet with the right address and that was done. I have the $24.95 unlimited data and 400 text bundle so it all works great. I'm sure the members of this forum will help you with any other technical details, good luck!

KG

Matt74

Mar 6, 2009
Visit site
Keep in mind that since you can't use the iPhone's 3G on t-mobile, you'll be stuck using Edge, which is about 1/12th the speed.

Using the SpeedTest app, I get 143 Kb/s on Edge and 1765Kb/s on 3G. So be prepared for slow data transfers.

tony2979#CB

Jun 16, 2008
Visit site
Thanks very much for all of your replies.

Looks like I am going to bite the bullet tonight and pick up a 2G (hardly ever use GPS, and since I am on T-Mobile, wont have 3G anyway) iPhone 8GB.

It is already jailbroken and unlocked on 2.2.1. I assume this means that I can just pop in the sim card to get it working and then manually synce music, movies, apps, etc at home?

After I work up a little nerve, I will probably attempt the 3.0 upgrade :)

Tramain

May 7, 2009
Visit site
Jailbreaking and unlock is very easy redsn0w does it all for you all you have to I hold some buttons down and they is only 2 buttons on iPhone so it is not hard. I would check out the iPhone blog how to.

Cagey47

Jun 26, 2009
Visit site
good Luck tony..once you get everything dialed in you will be pleased, just take your time and find a nice 2g phone!

KG

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods