After cracking the iphone what did u do to the AT&T plan?

waz#IM

Jun 29, 2009
Visit site
So those who crack the iPhone, what did they do to the AT&T plan?

Do u just keep paying the monthly rental? :confused:

Or do u deactivate it by paying them a penalty!? :rolleyes:

Can't u just say you lost the iPhone? What happens if you say so? Do they still bill u? :mad:

Plus, I'm a none-american...my friend in US is ready to get one for me, so there for my question is, do i have to activate it in the US itself? Can't I activate it in my country where iphones aren't sold at all? :eek:

------------------------------------------------------

THANKS GUYS!!!

BradM73

Sep 11, 2008
Visit site
if you want to cancel your plan, you have to pay the cancellation penalty. If you "lose" your phone and buy another one, I'm pretty sure you have to pay the full, unsubsidized price.

As far as unlocking, it shouldn't have any effect on your AT&T plan or pricing. At least none that I've ever seen on my plan.

If you're out of the US, you should be able to use an unlocked iPhone with a carrier that uses SIM cards on a GSM compatible network, but you may not get 3G service or things like Visual Voicemail.

waz#IM

Jun 29, 2009
Visit site
if you want to cancel your plan, you have to pay the cancellation penalty. If you "lose" your phone and buy another one, I'm pretty sure you have to pay the full, unsubsidized price.

As far as unlocking, it shouldn't have any effect on your AT&T plan or pricing. At least none that I've ever seen on my plan.

If you're out of the US, you should be able to use an unlocked iPhone with a carrier that uses SIM cards on a GSM compatible network, but you may not get 3G service or things like Visual Voicemail.
Well what I plan to do is to *pretend* like i lost the iPhone and tell them that I wanna quit and somehow STOP paying the rental. Is that possible? Will that happen if I tell them that I *LOST* the iPhone and I don't need one either?

By the way, I'm from Sri Lanka. And we have 3.5G here...and I'm currently using it. We don't have iPhones in my country. So what I wanna do is to get one from the US and then unlock it to use it HERE in Sri Lanka. The reason why i ask this is because I won't be the one who's going to buy it. My uncle is gonna buy it for me and that he'll have to fill up HIS address as the billing address. Therefor I need to find a way to cancel it without paying the cancellation penalty or else he'll have to keep paying the rental!!!! THAT"S BAD!!!

I'm using Dialog 3G (it's actually HSPA and 3.5G - depends on the phone) in my country. We have the 2nd lowest rates in the World! :) But we don't have the iphone even though iPhone only support 3G but not HSPA or 3.5G! That's the only problem...

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
The "rental" is not on the phone, it's the service. AT&T won't care what phone you use, but they will want either those monthly payments or the early termination fee.

BradM73

Sep 11, 2008
Visit site
I agree with what Alli is saying.

You're not renting anything. You're just paying for AT&T's subsidy on the iPhone over the life of your contract. If you lost your phone (or told AT&T that), you're either going to have to do one of three things. 1) Continue to pay for your monthly fee for the next two years even though you don't have an iPhone anymore (or you don't plan to use it with AT&T). 2) Buy a new phone from AT&T or Apple at the unsubsidized price and have it added to your current contract, or 3) Terminate your contract with AT&T and pay the $175 dollar early termination fee.

#3 is obviously the cheapest option, and I've been told by several AT&T reps that AT&T does pro-rate the termination fee over the first year of the life of the contract. From what I've been told, the subsidy lasts 12 months, though some have also claimed 18 months. I heard 12 from AT&T directly though, so I'm going to quote them on that.

Any way you put it, you're still going to have to pay extra to have that phone without AT&T.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2