AT&T will automaticly turn my basic plan to iphone plan?

RKitchens

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
This is y im not sure about the AT&T plan. My friend have a basic plan witout data plan, and he put that sim card on an iphone, AT&T send him an SMS saying that he cant use the iphone in his plan, but my friend just ignore that message and keep using his basic plan on i-phone 3G not 3Gs. Anyway AT&T know that he's using his i-phone on basic plan, but they dont charge him data plan or switch his plan to i-phone plan...yet. its been 2 months tho. i was just wondering if any of u guys have the same kind of experience?
One year later, can you give us an update on your friend's experience? Did AT&T ever bill him? I am leaving one AT&T account and maybe joining as an added line on someone else's account. I am wondering if they really are following through by charging people now.

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
@RKitchens

I was a b2b acct manager and YES, AT&T will add the data plan to ur line if u don't. The text messages are sent as a warning and courtesy so u can't say u didn't know when it's on ur bill

anpya

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
Yes. AT&T does not allow any smartphone, leave alone the iphone to be used on their network without a data plan. My friend, did not have a data plan got an unlocked Samsung Q and was told that he has to have a data plan by AT&T. However another friend has an AT&T prepaid, and he uses his Blackberry w/o a data plan. So i guess it must be mandatory for postpaid cxns.

theringer

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Yes. AT&T does not allow any smartphone, leave alone the iphone to be used on their network without a data plan. My friend, did not have a data plan got an unlocked Samsung Q and was told that he has to have a data plan by AT&T. However another friend has an AT&T prepaid, and he uses his Blackberry w/o a data plan. So i guess it must be mandatory for postpaid cxns.

Ya, the prepaid data (pay as you go) they charge out the nose for (no unlimited on it, per kb or 100 meg blocks for $20) so they dont care about it

jdavis530

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Funny that this topic was brought up. Someone at my work was just asking me about this today saying that they had a regular at&t phone that they dropped in the toilet, got a used iphone from a friend just to have a phone to talk and text on, now at&t has figured it out and is hitting her with data charges and what not

harryrp

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Screw ATT

There's got to be a better way to "hack" the iPhone so that ATT cannot detect it. I just recently changed my phone to iPhone and ATT detected and started charging for the data plan. The thing is that i paid for the phone with my own money from eBay.

Come on folks. Help me.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
That's like saying you paid for your car with your own money so why should you have to pay the state for a license tag.

dBMan

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
Why in the hell would you even want an iPhone without a data plan? Seems like a waste to me.

That's what I was thinking. But I suppose using it just as a phone, pda and iPod doesn't require data. But I think about 80% of the apps I use regularly have some level of connectivity. Once I "embraced" the fact that the $30 data fee was a given for an iPhone, I haven't looked back.

TampaDude

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
That's what I was thinking. But I suppose using it just as a phone, pda and iPod doesn't require data. But I think about 80% of the apps I use regularly have some level of connectivity. Once I "embraced" the fact that the $30 data fee was a given for an iPhone, I haven't looked back.

Yup...try using Maps without a data plan...LOL...

kron

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Why in the hell would you even want an iPhone without a data plan? Seems like a waste to me.

Wifi....
I was happily using a 3g for weeks with wifi from work and home and friends houses and coffee shops and malls etc. Wifi is almost everywhere.
Not a waste at all.
I had a phone that sucked and got data charges by accident. I opted out of data all together. A Friend gave me an iPhone 3g (My sucky phone restarting all the time) and I got a message saying that data was added to my account. The more expensive plan was the default $25 for 2GB. I pay enough for internet at home.
If I used 3g data at all I would be willing to pay for it, but I had 3g turned off and opted out on my account.
They want me to pay $15 for 200mb a month. Which means I will continue to keep 3g turned off on the phone for fear of overage.
If I use the same cell network resources as a dumb phone (calls and text only, zero data) why should I be forced to pay for a data plan I will not use. The phone has finished its contract and presumably has paid its way in at$t's eyes. I don't want to be charged for a service I will not use.
If you went to a gas station and they charged you for window washing fluid, squeegee rental, air compressor and parking, when all you did was fill up, wouldn't you be pissed?

Spoon#IM

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
But, IF you have a data plan though AT&T and you start using an iPhone on that plan, they yea, I think they can detect that and will put you on the iPhone plan automatically. I'm not 100% sure about this part, but you should be able to use an unlocked iphone on the AT&T network as a regular phone without all of the data and stuff. You're just not going to be Edge or 3G (if you have an iPhone 3G).Hope that helps.

phone companies track phone type by IMEI numbers. thats how they tell what phone is what.

Totalimmortal363

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Wifi....
I was happily using a 3g for weeks with wifi from work and home and friends houses and coffee shops and malls etc. Wifi is almost everywhere.
Not a waste at all.
I had a phone that sucked and got data charges by accident. I opted out of data all together. A Friend gave me an iPhone 3g (My sucky phone restarting all the time) and I got a message saying that data was added to my account. The more expensive plan was the default $25 for 2GB. I pay enough for internet at home.
If I used 3g data at all I would be willing to pay for it, but I had 3g turned off and opted out on my account.
They want me to pay $15 for 200mb a month. Which means I will continue to keep 3g turned off on the phone for fear of overage.
If I use the same cell network resources as a dumb phone (calls and text only, zero data) why should I be forced to pay for a data plan I will not use. The phone has finished its contract and presumably has paid its way in at$t's eyes. I don't want to be charged for a service I will not use.
If you went to a gas station and they charged you for window washing fluid, squeegee rental, air compressor and parking, when all you did was fill up, wouldn't you be pissed?

If you don't want to pay for the data, get an iPod touch. Moron...

Reactions: ChrisGonzales90

crystus

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
There's got to be a better way to "hack" the iPhone so that ATT cannot detect it. I just recently changed my phone to iPhone and ATT detected and started charging for the data plan. The thing is that i paid for the phone with my own money from eBay.

Come on folks. Help me.

There was a way but it is illegal in every country so it was discontinued. Just have to pay for it.

crystus

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Wifi....
Not a waste at all.

It is in the terms of service whether under contract or not. Just like when your lease expires you are still held to the terms of the lease on a month to month basis.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
WOW reading this thread made me glad I live in Canada. The only time carriers here will force you to have a data plan is if you bought the phone from them. I've had an iPhone since the 1st generation and I have never had a data plan. I've called and I told them I was on an iPhone and there was no issue with it because I always buy my phones second hand or in the case of the iPhone 4 unlocked. You can avoid using the data by getting SBSettings for older firmware before iOS 4 and turning off data. In iOS 4 you have the option to turn off 3G and cellular data.

The whole point of a smartphone is not to have a data plan, that may be your whole point but unless you buy everyone else's phone this is not the case for everyone. I haven't had a data plan for 3 years now and I've been quite happy I'm at work 8 hours of the day and an hour after leaving work I'm at home for the remainder of the day. So 90% of my day is spent in Wifi, when I go to other places I might be without data but as a fraction of my time the larger portion is spent at work and at home.

Reactions: kron

kron

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
If you don't want to pay for the data, get an iPod touch. Moron...

While the label of moron was extremely helpful, if you read the post you quoted, you would see that I received a second hand phone and therefor don't have the desire to spend $230-$400 on an itouch. Also, if I want to use it as an itouch it can be put into airplane mode and wifi turned on, which I think most people know. Buying an itouch would also not solve the whole phone problem in the scenario previously outlined. A scenario that I think is becoming more common with the iphone4 upgrades.
So, thanks for the suggestion, but not being a moron, I will have to pass.

My point is that some people would be happy without 3g data and that you should be billed for usage, not which phone you use.

Was I not supposed to exchange ideas here?

Last edited:

jerome g

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Here's the thing, not all things in life are fair, but I'm sure you knew that already.
If you have an iPhone with AT&T you need a data plan. Unfortunately, those are the rules.
If you live in a town with high school taxes, but have no kids, why should you pay.
Those are the rules. ;)

kron

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Here's the thing, not all things in life are fair, but I'm sure you knew that already.
If you have an iPhone with AT&T you need a data plan. Unfortunately, those are the rules.
If you live in a town with high school taxes, but have no kids, why should you pay.
Those are the rules. ;)

I understand rules. I am allowed to disagree with them.
I can choose to use a different phone or carrier. Fair enough.
Paying for things I need or want is fine with me. Society needs schools.
I like the way it is handled in Canada (according to Ipheuria).
That seems like a system with sensible regulation.
This is a utility. They should not be able to make this kind distinction with an out of contract phone, just charge for the utility.

Electric bills are determined by kWh not the home builder.
Cable internet is not priced by what brand of computer you have.
Natural gas is not priced by what brand of stove or furnace.
Water price is not determined by the faucet.

The very suggestion of not having data seems to really upset some people.
Buyers remorse? A lot of people paid $720, for data alone, over their contract. Did you get your moneys worth? Am I going to have this hostility toward the non-elite when I get data?

It's just a phone guys.