Can I jailbreak/unlock 3G without valid SIMM card?

BradM73

Sep 11, 2008
Visit site
Once I upgrade to the 3GS, my 3G will be a unless hulk. I want to jailbreak and unlock it to sell on ebay, but will I need a working SIMM card in order to do that? Please help.

Thanks.

PSM

May 30, 2005
headsetchatter.com
I just jailbroke my 3G with my old (non-working) SIM card in it. You'll need wifi access to download anything from Cydia, etc. But it works.

I plan to try my 3GS SIM card in it to see if it works. Anybody know of any reason that's a bad idea?

UPDATE: It works!

Last edited:

BradM73

Sep 11, 2008
Visit site
Awesome! That's definitely good news! But why would you want to use your 3G again when you have a 3GS??? (Just don't flush it down the toilet!) :D

PSM

May 30, 2005
headsetchatter.com
Awesome! That's definitely good news! But why would you want to use your 3G again when you have a 3GS??? (Just don't flush it down the toilet!) :D
Because the 3GS can't currently tether --that I know of -- and that workaround for 3.0 tethering seems to require being a developer and breaking your voicemail, and who knows what AT&T sees happening on your account. I'm letting that hack settle down, if it even works for the 3GS.

Anyway, for now I just have my 3G and that glorified paperclip thing in my bag, and can swap my SIM into it if I need to tether in an emergency. For the next week and a half I'll be living and working in places with internet, so hopefully by then there will be a jailbreak for the 3GS or some other method to tether it (or God forbid AT&T gets their act together and actually offers it!)

BradM73

Sep 11, 2008
Visit site
Yea, I can understand AT&T wanting to limit bandwidth on tethering. I mean, you don't want people playing WOW over their cell phone 24/7, but for me, i can do 90% of what I need on my cell phone, but there are probably about 3 or 4 days a month that it would be a really good thing if i could tether my laptop to my iPhone to do some limited business. If AT&T offers tethering, I hope it is either a free feature, or that they allow for a higher limit on data. The only thing we can do now is wait and see.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner