Issue: Safari is having trouble remembering Id/Pass

mikenyc2

Aug 2, 2008
Visit site
Since I jailbroke my iPhone, Safari is having touble remembering my ID's & Passwords to things like Google Reader. Before jailbreak, I could close down Safari, then go back later and Safari would remember who I was in Googlee Reader and i can continue one with my news.

Now I get prompted to log on again. Even when I just go to another Web Page (on a NEW PAGE), when I go back to Google reader, Safari refreshs the screen and prompts me to log on again.

This is VERY annoying and on some Apps like Jajah, I can't get to the next screen cause Safari keeps prompting me to log on again and again.

Before you ask. I have "Accept Cookies" set to "From Visited" (I have tried "Always" also, didn't help)

HELP!

Thanks
mike

mikenyc2

Aug 2, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the reply but that isn't a solution I am looking for.

Has ANYONE had this issue and FIXED it without a restore?

Thanks all.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
There used to be something you could install via installer back in the day (don't remember what it was called), this is a common issue and if that add-on is not available any longer, restore is your only option.

jamesus

TiPb Forum Staff
Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
I've tried anything (save for finding the Installer app) and the only solution is to restore. I know it isn't ideal, but now I check everything I upgrade to see if this issue is present. If it is, I restore immediately so I don't load everything on first.

mikenyc2

Aug 2, 2008
Visit site
Bad Ash,
Thanks for your help. The Installer App was called "iRemember". Remember? haha

Well first of all, it is not around anymore plus was for OS 1.14. But it did lead me onto some other interesting comments. Like a solution that can be done manually. I found the text below on some website (hope it is not an OS 1.14 only solution). It refers to using Terminal to get to set permissions. Can this be done on an iPhone? I have MTelnet on my iPhone but don't know how I would connect in. Any advice?

--------------- Solution -------------------------------
Another option to solve this problem is to edit the permissions of the Cookies.plist file. For some reason, the ownership of the file is 'root' when it should also be 'mobile'. I entered these commands into Terminal and it solved the problem.

chmod 777 /var/mobile/Library/Cookies
chmod 666 /var/mobile/Library/Cookies/Cookies.plist

jamesus

TiPb Forum Staff
Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
This would work if you SSH into the phone. Please let us know if this works for you, as I have had this same problem multiple times.

Muero

Jun 4, 2008
Visit site
In Cydia, there's a package called "Fix Safari Cookies." Its description says, "Tired of having to enter your user name and password every time you visit your favorite site? Not any more! This package overwrites your cookies and changes the permissions so that Safari can actually write and save your cookies. If you don't have to enter your user name and password for all sites, then you do not need to install this package. NOTE: Even though it says that it's Half-Installed or Half-Completed, it still works! Don't force clear, just ignore!"

I can't say whether it works, because I don't have it installed, since I haven't had the problem you're describing.

It's from "PwnCenter Repository" and I'm not sure if that one is installed by default or if I added it later.

Last edited:

mikenyc2

Aug 2, 2008
Visit site
It worked. Here are the steps I took (not for the faint of hearted):

1) Go and download MobileTerminal from Cydia - This will allow you to do the next steps on tour iPhone
2) Go into MobileTerminal and type the following command (Case sensative):
3) Do these next commands:
cd /var/mobile/Library/Cookies
mv Cookies.plist Cookies.plist.old
ls > Cookies.plist
chmod 666 Cookies.plist

The reason for so many commands is that I could not change permissions on the old Cookies.plist. Instead of deleting it, I renamed it (so we can rename back if needed). The command:
ls > Cookies.plist
just sets up a "dummy" Cookies.plist where ownership is mobile. Then I can change permission thusly:
chmod 666 Cookies.plist

At this point, you should be able to go into Safari and save your ID/Pass.

If all works well, you can go back into MobileTerminal and clean up the .old file with this command:

rm /var/mobile/Library/Cookies/Cookies.plist.old

This works!!

Thanks for everyone's help.

Phreakwenci

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
It worked. Here are the steps I took (not for the faint of hearted):

1) Go and download MobileTerminal from Cydia - This will allow you to do the next steps on tour iPhone
2) Go into MobileTerminal and type the following command (Case sensative):
3) Do these next commands:
cd /var/mobile/Library/Cookies
mv Cookies.plist Cookies.plist.old
ls > Cookies.plist
chmod 666 Cookies.plist

The reason for so many commands is that I could not change permissions on the old Cookies.plist. Instead of deleting it, I renamed it (so we can rename back if needed). The command:
ls > Cookies.plist
just sets up a "dummy" Cookies.plist where ownership is mobile. Then I can change permission thusly:
chmod 666 Cookies.plist

At this point, you should be able to go into Safari and save your ID/Pass.

If all works well, you can go back into MobileTerminal and clean up the .old file with this command:

rm /var/mobile/Library/Cookies/Cookies.plist.old

This works!!

Thanks for everyone's help.

Wish there was an app on cydia that did this automatically!

J.D.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal