jailbreak illegal!? What now: RESTORE??

melwan

Dec 3, 2008
Visit site
It shouldn't affect us directly for now. I think all Apple wants was to block the copyright exemption. If they decided to go after the Dev-Team, then the next updates won't be jailbreakable. That's all.

jayman30

Oct 28, 2008
www.iphonedownlow.com
It shouldn't affect us directly for now. I think all Apple wants was to block the copyright exemption. If they decided to go after the Dev-Team, then the next updates won't be jailbreakable. That's all.

Yea, its way too early to panic, this was just an official response to the EFF wanting a DMCA exemption for jailbreaking as part of the US Copyright Board's 2009 DMCA Rulemaking.

There have been no threats of any kind of legal action against the DEV Team. And the argument Apple submitted is not on the most solid legal ground.

Last edited:

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
Question... why would jailbreaking be considered illegal, all it does is allow other software to be installed... Why would THAT be illegal?

jayman30

Oct 28, 2008
www.iphonedownlow.com
Apple is arguing that jailbreaking violates the Digital Millennium Copyright Act because jailbreaking depends on versions of Apple's copyrighted bootloader and operating system software that have been modified with out consent. This, Apple argues, results in infringement of the copyrights in that software.

Once again, this is a response to the EFF asking the Copyright Office to declare jailbreaking legal--right now its sort of a gray area, not explicitly illegal but not explicitly legal either.

MrEClass

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Until Apple allows me to do the same things I can with my phone when I have it jailbroken then it will remain just that way-jailbroken MWAHAHAHAHHAA

....seriously though, I'll never go back.

lordzod01

Oct 11, 2008
Visit site
For me it's either a jailbroken iPhone, or another device. I love my iPhone, but to have what it needs, it has to be jailbroken.

ghostdriver

Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
Interesting that Apple waited this long

I find it interesting that Apple waited this long to voice an official opinion on the subject.

Could it have something to do with official iPhone apps now being cracked and available without having to pay for them?

Something to think about...

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I find it interesting that Apple waited this long to voice an official opinion on the subject.

Could it have something to do with official iPhone apps now being cracked and available without having to pay for them?

Something to think about...

The only reason this was even brought about from Apple is due to the EFF. If they never brought it up, Apple would never have opened their mouths.

reyza

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
On a bigger scale. Warez software is illegal but you don't see that the crackers have stopped. And people still download Warez software on their computers. Saying something is illegal electronically won't stop anything.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2