dumb noob question about unlocking and Tmobile

rexassian

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
OK, I've searched, I promise, but obviously my search kung-foo is not working tonight. I've jailbroken my 1st gen iphone loaded with firmware 2.2 using quickpwn. Now I plugged in my tmobile sim card and after turning the phone back on, I see this:

Different SIM detected
please connect to iTunes

what am I missing to get the unlock to work? Thanks for tolerating this easy question.

rexassian

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
I'm not sure what you mean by activating? The t-mobile sim card is activated.

I'll try quickpwn again with the t-mobile sim card in. Thanks.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I'm not sure what you mean by activating? The t-mobile sim card is activated.

I'll try quickpwn again with the t-mobile sim card in. Thanks.

I don't mean the sim card, the phone itself. You can not get a new iPhone and just pop a AT&T sim in it and expect it to work. It needs to be activated via iTunes first. Same applies for when you jailbreak/unlock with a pwnage tool. There is a option to "activate" the phone. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

MrEClass

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Open up iTunes and it'll bring you to a page asking you to Activate the phone.

Of course this is after you have successfully completed all the jailbreaking/unlocking steps. :)

MrEClass

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Yes you must jailbreak/unlock first. And as Bad Ash said, "Same applies for when you jailbreak/unlock with a pwnage tool. There is a option to "activate" the phone. Hope this helps."

So use the PwnageTool and then Activate the iPhone with your T-mobile sim

blakejackson

Feb 5, 2009
Visit site
In pwnage, there is a specific option to UNLOCK the phone as well as jailbreak it. Jailbreaking alone will not allow other carrier's sim cards to work in the phone. Jailbreaking simply allows one to install unapproved third party apps to the phone. You need to UNLOCK the phone as well as jailbreak it.

Hueco514

Nov 16, 2008
Visit site
In pwnage, there is a specific option to UNLOCK the phone as well as jailbreak it. Jailbreaking alone will not allow other carrier's sim cards to work in the phone. Jailbreaking simply allows one to install unapproved third party apps to the phone. You need to UNLOCK the phone as well as jailbreak it.

If I use quickpwn tool, will that jailbreak and unlock it? I unlocked it for my friend and it said the same thing on his phone that the Original Poster's phone said. Would I then proceed to activate it? If so, where in iTunes?

Hueco514

Nov 16, 2008
Visit site
Yes you must jailbreak/unlock first. And as Bad Ash said, "Same applies for when you jailbreak/unlock with a pwnage tool. There is a option to "activate" the phone. Hope this helps."

So use the PwnageTool and then Activate the iPhone with your T-mobile sim

Wait, there's an "activate" option with pwnage tool? Really? After I unlocked it/jailbroke it twice, it never said that. So if I go to iTunes after I unlock/jailbreak it, there should be an activate option? And if so, would it lock the phone again because it's T-Mobile? When I went to iTunes it said the sim card was not compatible, that's all.

MrEClass

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Yes, once you go into iTunes then you Activate it from there. Not too sure if you put sim in by that time or not.....

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW