Why and Should I Jailbreak my IPHONE 3G?

ddk997

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
I used the search engine but it wouldn't come up with any results...I just got my IPhone 3G service with AT&T and I am thinking about why people are Jail breaking it?

Should I Jailbreak it even if im with AT&T?

What do you really get from Jail breaking besides using it on other carriers?

Any Cons?

Thanks

EmEuS

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
I used the search engine but it wouldn't come up with any results...I just got my IPhone 3G service with AT&T and I am thinking about why people are Jail breaking it?

Should I Jailbreak it even if im with AT&T?

What do you really get from Jail breaking besides using it on other carriers?

Any Cons?

Thanks

Just to clarify jailbreaking will not allow you to use it on any carrier. What you are referring to is unlocking.

Jailbreaking will allow you to utilize your iphone to its fullest potential. Now before I sound like a campaign manager let me explain.

THings like...landscape sms...mms...video recording...using your iphone as a modem...custom theming to name a few. Check out my screenshots below.

Ive changed the wifi logo, 3g logo, and have taskbar notifications. Customer wallpapers and icons (theming).

If I could sum all this up into two words....

DO IT :D

347219703.jpg

347573355.jpg

ddk997

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Forget that last question...

Now I have been hearing some problems with running Quickpwn 2.2 on vista....what are the chances I will run into these problems because I am also using Vista? Thanks in advance

melwan

Dec 3, 2008
Visit site
I jailbroke my iPhone for the first time ever using QuickPwn 2.2 under Vista SP1. I did not run into any problems myself.

Just make sure that your iPhone is freshly restored and does NOT have any 3rd party apps on it. After the jailbreak u can add all the apps u want through itunes.

besides, u can go ahead and try jailbreaking it because if you run into any problems, we are here to help. and if something goes badly wrong, a simple itunes restore would bring your iphone to the same state as when u had it brand new.

There is nothing to loose.

EmEuS

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
Forget that last question...

Now I have been hearing some problems with running Quickpwn 2.2 on vista....what are the chances I will run into these problems because I am also using Vista? Thanks in advance

I would have to concur with melwan. I used Vista and had NO problems. Be sure to follow the instructions to the T to avoid any room for error; and like melwan said if you have an issue i HIGHLY doubt someone here wont know how to fix it. Good Luck.....

steveken

Dec 18, 2008
Visit site
Hmm, wondering

I am thinking I really want to jailbrake my iPhone 3G, but am concerned by a few things.

Its my understanding that the risks associated with this are minimal with low chances for screwing up my phone and that you can switch back to legitimate Apple FW at any time by doing a restore. Is this correct?? Also, I am not sure what the procedures are for kicking it back to the Apple FW. I have looked around for information about this, but there are just so many versions of walk-throughs out there it makes it very difficult to find what you are looking for.

Another concern I have is that I installed the latest 10.5.6 update to my iMac that was put out by Apple a few days ago. it is my understanding that this breaks iTunes ability to see the phone in DFU mode, thus making it not possible to jailbreak the phone right now. Is this right? What is a good, fool proof, relatively easy way to get around this and jailbreak the phone short of rolling back to 10.5.5??

I am a nervous nilly when it comes to crap like this because 1) I don't want to eff up my iPhone, and 2) I don't wanna hear any sh*t from my wife about it if I do eff up my iPhone 3G. I just want to know that it really is safe and that there is next to no danger in screwing anything up too much. I know I want to do this, I am just really scared about actually doing it. Knowing my luck, something would go wrong and I would be out $400 (I wasn't eligible for a new handset when I bought it, heh). So, any help you guys can provide, I would appreciate it.

melwan

Dec 3, 2008
Visit site
Yes, the margin for error from jailbreaking is the same as upgrading the firmware through iTunes. and yes, a simple iTunes restore would do. To perform that restore, power off the iPhone. Launch iTunes. While the iphone is completely off, hold the home button and keep holding it and plug the USB cable. Keep holding the Home button and iTunes will recognize that you connected a new iPhone and will go about setting it up in the same procedure as when u first got it.

Correct, the latest update will prevent jailbreaking. The easiest way to get around this is by using a USB hub. I read that this simple method works. There is another way that require you to replace few system files from the older version.

As I said, the chances of screwing the phone up when jailbreaking are the same chances when upgrading the firmware from Apple. I did not experience any instability in the phone and when I use the default theme, people wont even notice its jailbroken (except for the exclusive apps).

I was very scared to do it, but I did it and never going back to stock firmware.

I hope that was helpful.

ddk997

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Jailbroke my Iphone 3G today and It was very easy. I am so happy I jailbroke my phone, everything still seems to be running smoothly, just now I have cydia and installer!! YES!! Already downloaded a few things such as winterboard, cycorder...

what are some awesome apps out there I should check out? Any Recommendations please?

Thanks alot guys for helping me through this process.

steveken

Dec 18, 2008
Visit site
Jailbroke my Iphone 3G today and It was very easy. I am so happy I jailbroke my phone, everything still seems to be running smoothly, just now I have cydia and installer!! YES!! Already downloaded a few things such as winterboard, cycorder...

what are some awesome apps out there I should check out? Any Recommendations please?

Thanks alot guys for helping me through this process.

Did you have the new 10.5.6 OS X update on your machine? Oh, wait, you are probably running Windows. So, you did it and everythings cool? Did you lose any of your contacts or apps or anything? What are winterboard and cycorder? Cycorder sounds like a video recording app, which I might want, but would rather have Qik. Can you also start sending and receiving picture messages once its jailbroken??

I still am not sure if you have to restore your phone back to 2.0 or not. I have a few ebooks on mine I am not really too keen on losing, plus there are a couple of other apps that might keep some data on the phone that would be toast. If I do have to restore back to 2.0, that would nuke that data and I would have to start from scratch, right? Or can you not put it back to stock 2.0 and leave it as is and get it to work? Thats about the only other thing I am worried about. I suppose I can do like one other post I saw said and do a restore from the backup after I do the jailbreak. But that wouldn't put back my ebooks if it wipes them out, would it?

Sorry, still on the fence. Just want to make sure I understand everything before I do it.

BTW, melwan, that did help me out quite a bit except for the stuff I just mentioned.

Last edited:

ddk997

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Did you have the new 10.5.6 OS X update on your machine? Oh, wait, you are probably running Windows. So, you did it and everythings cool? Did you lose any of your contacts or apps or anything? What are winterboard and cycorder? Cycorder sounds like a video recording app, which I might want, but would rather have Qik. Can you also start sending and receiving picture messages once its jailbroken??

I still am not sure if you have to restore your phone back to 2.0 or not. I have a few ebooks on mine I am not really too keen on losing, plus there are a couple of other apps that might keep some data on the phone that would be toast. If I do have to restore back to 2.0, that would nuke that data and I would have to start from scratch, right? Or can you not put it back to stock 2.0 and leave it as is and get it to work? Thats about the only other thing I am worried about. I suppose I can do like one other post I saw said and do a restore from the backup after I do the jailbreak. But that wouldn't put back my ebooks if it wipes them out, would it?

Sorry, still on the fence. Just want to make sure I understand everything before I do it.

BTW, melwan, that did help me out quite a bit except for the stuff I just mentioned.

I am very new to jailbreaking also, I jailbroke it in my first try EVER with no problems. I highly recommend doing it, if you dont plan on UNLOCKING in the future. Winterboard is a program that you can change every aspect of the phone to your liking..such as the unlock background, unlock icon, background wallpaper,etc.

I have mine on Time of the Day wallpaper running on winterboard, which is a theme that changes the background wallpaper matching the time of the day 7am(sunrise photo) 5pm (dusk photo) 8pm(night photo, shown below) and customized ATT logo replaced the boring text as shown here-->( AT&T ).

IMG_0001.png

and also customized my locked screen with a new wallpaper...(REMEMBER: HAVE TO JAILBREAK IN ORDER TO GET CYDIA TO DOWNLOAD Winterboard)
IMG_0003.png

FYI; I get excellent service with AT&T have not been to a spot that is dead. Get 3G four bars steadily, however when im near the laptop it seems to be effected at times.(as shown in photos).

Hope I convinced you to Jailbreak, I jail broke my phone within an hour after activating my phone. LOL

steveken

Dec 18, 2008
Visit site
I am very new to jailbreaking also, I jailbroke it in my first try EVER with no problems. I highly recommend doing it, if you dont plan on UNLOCKING in the future. Winterboard is a program that you can change every aspect of the phone to your liking..such as the unlock background, unlock icon, background wallpaper,etc.

I have mine on Time of the Day wallpaper running on winterboard, which is a theme that changes the background wallpaper matching the time of the day 7am(sunrise photo) 5pm (dusk photo) 8pm(night photo, shown below) and customized ATT logo replaced the boring text as shown here-->( AT&T ).

IMG_0001.png

and also customized my locked screen with a new wallpaper...(REMEMBER: HAVE TO JAILBREAK IN ORDER TO GET CYDIA TO DOWNLOAD Winterboard)
IMG_0003.png

FYI; I get excellent service with AT&T have not been to a spot that is dead. Get 3G four bars steadily, however when im near the laptop it seems to be effected at times.(as shown in photos).

Hope I convinced you to Jailbreak, I jail broke my phone within an hour after activating my phone. LOL
Thanks for expanding on that. I already change my lock screen background and knew you could change the background if you jailbreak it, just didn't know the name of it (now I know its winterboard hehe).

If you don't mind, could you go back over my message prior your last response and try to answer the questions I have posted? Like if you are Windows or Mac and whether or not I would have to restore back to 2.0 and if everything I already have on there would be lost.

I guess if you broke it right after you got it, you might not know about the restore back and losing stuff. If anyone else knows that would be really nice to know. Its just that since I have had it since it came out in July, I naturally have a bunch of crap on there and would hate to lose all the stuff I have on it. If a restore of the backup file keeps that, then there isn't much to worry about, but since I don't know how it will behave, I am still scared.

ddk997

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for expanding on that. I already change my lock screen background and knew you could change the background if you jailbreak it, just didn't know the name of it (now I know its winterboard hehe).

If you don't mind, could you go back over my message prior your last response and try to answer the questions I have posted? Like if you are Windows or Mac and whether or not I would have to restore back to 2.0 and if everything I already have on there would be lost.

I guess if you broke it right after you got it, you might not know about the restore back and losing stuff. If anyone else knows that would be really nice to know. Its just that since I have had it since it came out in July, I naturally have a bunch of crap on there and would hate to lose all the stuff I have on it. If a restore of the backup file keeps that, then there isn't much to worry about, but since I don't know how it will behave, I am still scared.

I am using Windows Vista, first try no problems, went very smoothly and quick. As far as the 2.2 file, I used this
http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite...0081120.Aqw4R/iPhone1,2_2.2_5G77_Restore.ipsw

Which is the ipsw, if anything decides to go wrong, you just restore it with that.

IMG_0002.png

IMG_0005.png

steveken

Dec 18, 2008
Visit site
I am using Windows Vista, first try no problems, went very smoothly and quick. As far as the 2.2 file, I used this
http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite...0081120.Aqw4R/iPhone1,2_2.2_5G77_Restore.ipsw

Which is the ipsw, if anything decides to go wrong, you just restore it with that.

IMG_0002.png

IMG_0005.png
Hmm, ok, cool. That link alone might make it okay to try. Just still curious do you have to restore to stock before you try to jailbreak? Or can you leave it as is? Do you lose anything and everything you have on it when you do it? Or is there a way to keep everything as is?

Sorry to keep asking basically the same thing over and over, but I just need that answered before I attempt to do it.

ddk997

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Hmm, ok, cool. That link alone might make it okay to try. Just still curious do you have to restore to stock before you try to jailbreak? Or can you leave it as is? Do you lose anything and everything you have on it when you do it? Or is there a way to keep everything as is?

Sorry to keep asking basically the same thing over and over, but I just need that answered before I attempt to do it.

Im not sure if I am going to be able to answer that question, however heres my whole process.

I recieved my phone through the mail brand new updated with the latest 2.2 firmwire, right after activating my phone through ITUNES, I jailbroke it with Qwnpwn 2.2. When you start it up, and once it detects your phone it will then start searching for the ISPW file, which i provided with the link above(latest firmwire 2.2 restore, if anything happens in the future, you just restore it with that link file)...after browsing for it wherever you store the file, follow the on screen instruction carefully then it will restore your iphone to 2.2, be aware tho, I am not sure if it will wipe out anything since, i started with a brand new fresh phone with no files.

GL