End of the Road for hardware SIM unlockers???

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Don't say I did not warn you about sim unlocks... according to the Dev Team with the new firmware 2.2, Apple has rendered them USELESS... Like I said, I warned you guys who chose this path... :rolleyes:

"The use of SIM-Proxies (small circuit boards/chips that sit underneath the SIM card) to provide GSM/UMTS service on your locked iPhone 3G is a method that we have always advised against. Early reports suggest that the 2.2 update disables the functionality of these devices. The techniques used were always unreliable and we are surprised that they have lasted this long."

*I have heard rumblings that SIM unlocks may be releasing a update for them to work with 2.2. This is just a rumor so take it with a grain of salt.

Last edited:

RyoSaeba

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
I don't get it... what is there to warn?? I read this everywhere as if they found a solution before the sim-unlocker people did. And what's about this "path?" With this "path", I can still choose any path I wish! It's not like it's non reversible. You and everyone who quoted them sound very ignorant and a bit jealous over people who bought turbosims and have enjoyed their iPhone 3G since that purchase.

The iPhone 3G is still software locked. The turbosims are the ONLY way to unlock them as for as right now. Are they just jealous because they couldn't unlock the iPhone 3G as fast as the turbosimer's did? What did they think we should of done? Let's see:

1. Wait while we twiddle our thumbs with our iPhone 3G being useless for the Dev Team to come up with a software unlock solution that we do not know when it will come....

or

2. Buy a cheap $15 turbosim that is proven to work (in most cases) AND proven to be 100% reversible AND enjoy our iPhone 3G NOW while we wait for the Dev Team to come up with a software unlock solution that we do not know when it will come...

Heck, worse case, I won't update to 2.2 until a new turbosim comes out OR a software unlock is provided... so I miss out on a few minor updates of 2.2... big deal... Better then the Dev Team's solution to "not get a turbosim." Hell, they even tell people not to update to 2.2 yet! What is this????

They are cheap enough that even if does not work with 2.2, it is worth every penny since it does worked with 2.1 and I've been using mine for the past 2 months. Full signal, EDGE works, calls are clear, and I get to show it off to everyone!

I will gladly spend another $15 for another one that works with 2.2, and 2.3, and 2.4, and 2.5. Better then not being able to enjoy my iPhone 3G. :)

I'd bet that the turbosimers will come out with a 2.2 unlocker before the iPhone Dev team comes out with a 2.1 soft unlock... If I spend $650 for my iPhone 3G, I'd gladly spend $15 to enjoy it now rather then wait... and wait... and wait... and wait... and wait... and wait... and wait... and wait... and wait... and wait... and wait... and wait... and wait...

Last edited:

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Hmmm... There are other reasons not to use them and not to mention they are very unreliable. I can't even tell you how many people have come to me with issues - all using this crap. But to each his own. Whatever works for you. Thats awesome then. Good luck.

RyoSaeba

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
It's not luck or no luck... There will always be problems with everything... This is not saying that people who use soft unlock do not have problems as well...

It's funny that the Dev Team says people who use turbsims are ruined [if we update] so fast while they warn people to not update to 2.2 while they figure out how to bypass the baseband upgrade...

Correct me if I'm wrong... if they come out with a 2.2 update that does not update the baseband, wouldn't the current turbosims still work??? :confused::confused::confused:

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
It's not luck or no luck... There will always be problems with everything... This is not saying that people who use soft unlock do not have problems as well...

It's funny that the Dev Team says people who use turbsims are ruined [if we update] so fast while they warn people to not update to 2.2 while they figure out how to bypass the baseband upgrade...

Correct me if I'm wrong... if they come out with a 2.2 update that does not update the baseband, wouldn't the current turbosims still work??? :confused::confused::confused:

I don't know why you are so hostile towards the Dev Team. They don't even sell their software so they have no reason to be dishonest with you.

As for your question, I don't think these hardware sim hacks are being disabled due to the baseband update. At least the Dev Team has not stated that is the reason. For more information I suggest you try their blog. Maybe you can get a answer from them.

RyoSaeba

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
Oh don't get me wrong... They are great and they have been doing a wonderful job since the first software unlock...

I just did not see a reason why they have to tell people NOT to use or even try turbosims. If using the turbosims were non reversible or could brick your iPhone, I would totally understand but this isn't the case... and they don't cost an arm and a leg... most dealers will refund your money if it doesn't work so I don't see a reason NOT to try one while we wait for them to come up with a soft unlock....

That part of their announcement was just uncalled for... and so are people who are quoting them on that...

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Oh don't get me wrong... They are great and they have been doing a wonderful job since the first software unlock...

I just did not see a reason why they have to tell people NOT to use or even try turbosims. If using the turbosims were non reversible or could brick your iPhone, I would totally understand but this isn't the case... and they don't cost an arm and a leg... most dealers will refund your money if it doesn't work so I don't see a reason NOT to try one while we wait for them to come up with a soft unlock....

That part of their announcement was just uncalled for... and so are people who are quoting them on that...

Not sure if you read this but it may help shed some more light on the situation for you.

"We?ve been monitoring the whole ?SIM-card unlock? proxy-SIM situation. This involves using a chip that is attached to your SIM card (with a small modification to your SIM) or sometimes a small PCB soldered inside the phone. These sim mods so far seem very very very questionable. Zf has found that they use trickery of the GSM and UMTS network that is considered highly illegal in most countries and they rely on sending bogus IMSIs and various other nasty hacks to obtain service on your iPhone. A couple of our members have worked out how this all ?works? and we?ll try to publish our findings soon. DevTeam recommendation: Steer clear, don?t use!"

RyoSaeba

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
yup.. read that somewhere else long time ago... downloading music is illegal as well... did people stop? RIAA sends letters to people houses asking people to pay money... did this stop people from downloading music?

Lots of things are illegal in this digital age but it still hasn't stop people from breaking the law. AFAIK, there hasn't been one single arrest or fines from people using turbosims. When they come knocking on my door, my turbosim is the last thing I'll be worrying about... I'll have to scramble to delete the 2TB of HD movies I have!!! :)

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
yup.. read that somewhere else long time ago... downloading music is illegal as well... did people stop? RIAA sends letters to people houses asking people to pay money... did this stop people from downloading music?

Lots of things are illegal in this digital age but it still hasn't stop people from breaking the law. AFAIK, there hasn't been one single arrest or fines from people using turbosims. When they come knocking on my door, my turbosim is the last thing I'll be worrying about... I'll have to scramble to delete the 2TB of HD movies I have!!! :)

I think you are overlooking the more important reliability factor. Like I said, I have seen more and more people with issues more than anything else while using those things. Far way more issues than any software unlock has ever created. But like I said, if it works for you, then stick with it. That pretty much sums it up. Won't stop me from being anti-sim unlocks... ;)

RyoSaeba

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
That's because people who don't have problems don't posts about it... do you really know how many people don't have problems vs people who have problems?

Again, for $15 and most places refundable and will not damage your iPhone, I think it's worth a try... worse case is you're out $15 and you go back to waiting for a soft unlock...

For being virtually risk free and the ONLY 3G unlock solution at the moment, I just don't see why you have to be anti-sim unlock... :rolleyes:

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
That's because people who don't have problems don't posts about it... do you really know how many people don't have problems vs people who have problems?

Again, for $15 and most places refundable and will not damage your iPhone, I think it's worth a try... worse case is you're out $15 and you go back to waiting for a soft unlock...

For being virtually risk free and the ONLY 3G unlock solution at the moment, I just don't see why you have to be anti-sim unlock... :rolleyes:

I've given my reasons. Like I said, to each his/her own. That's what makes this country so good, it lets us, as individuals choose what we want and don't want. I can ask you a similar question, why do you have to be pro-sim unlocks? Especially since a software unlock is "hours" away...? Goodnight. :cool:

RyoSaeba

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
Put it this way, I'm pro "whatever works." And the soft unlock was said to be available "hours away" 2 months ago when I got my turbosim. It seems the soft unlock is really tougher then they thought... and to each passing day, it seems less and less likely they will be available before another firmware update. Which at that time they will have to do it all pretty much over again... Seems Apple is really winning this cat and mouse game...

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Put it this way, I'm pro "whatever works." And the soft unlock was said to be available "hours away" 2 months ago when I got my turbosim. It seems the soft unlock is really tougher then they thought... and to each passing day, it seems less and less likely they will be available before another firmware update. Which at that time they will have to do it all pretty much over again... Seems Apple is really winning this cat and mouse game...

They already announced that everything is set to go, now its just the implementation. They are going to be testing now, just like they always do before release... like I said, expect it soon.

sethclifford

Sep 25, 2006
about.me
RyoSaeba: First off, after reading this, I can't understand why your tone is so confrontational. No one's telling you what you can't do with your phone, and while you seem to understand that, you've continued a dialogue that doesn't even reach a logical conclusion. But that's your prerogative.

That being said, what the Dev Team is doing is completely going against the grain of everything Apple is doing on their software. They are the primary go-to solution for iPhone jailbreaking, and I would have to imagine that as they have gained that level of notoriety, they want to take certain steps on their part to uphold the good relationship they've fostered in the iPhone community.

Which would be why they recommended not using the methods you've described above. It was their recommendation, not the word of God. If you don't want to listen to it, you don't have to. But then you can't hold them responsible when your hardware ceases to work the way you expect it to. They're providing a service, free-of-charge, to a large population. As software developers, on any level, they feel (rightly so) that they have a responsibility to be honest with their user base.

Good luck with the turbosims. Stop attacking Bad Ash for quoting a group of invaluable developers. It's just not necessary. :)

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
RyoSaeba: First off, after reading this, I can't understand why your tone is so confrontational. No one's telling you what you can't do with your phone, and while you seem to understand that, you've continued a dialogue that doesn't even reach a logical conclusion. But that's your prerogative.

That being said, what the Dev Team is doing is completely going against the grain of everything Apple is doing on their software. They are the primary go-to solution for iPhone jailbreaking, and I would have to imagine that as they have gained that level of notoriety, they want to take certain steps on their part to uphold the good relationship they've fostered in the iPhone community.

Which would be why they recommended not using the methods you've described above. It was their recommendation, not the word of God. If you don't want to listen to it, you don't have to. But then you can't hold them responsible when your hardware ceases to work the way you expect it to. They're providing a service, free-of-charge, to a large population. As software developers, on any level, they feel (rightly so) that they have a responsibility to be honest with their user base.

Good luck with the turbosims. Stop attacking Bad Ash for quoting a group of invaluable developers. It's just not necessary. :)

Wow, someone who actually gets what I've been saying in this thread! ;)

technogeekchris

Nov 25, 2008
Visit site
Iphone 3G: Jailbreak and Turbosim????

Hi, i have an IPHONE 3G running on turbosim. Can you please help me jailbreak this Iphone. Will the turbosim will work even after the jailbreak? I have 2.1 and would like to keep same firmware. I heard people who upgraded to 2.2 and turbosim didnt work. How about for 2.1? Can you please help me jailbreak my 2.1 IPHONE 3G. I only have a Windows Vista and waht tool i need for jailbreak? I have some questions:

1) Shall i remove the turbosim and chip before the jailbreak?
2) after jailbreak, i can put turbosim and will it work?
3) i heard i need to activare in jailbreak, where can i find this in the steps and what is this for?
4) Do I still need to use the original AT&T sim, for i dont have that now.? I have the turbosim only for my BAHRAIN midlle east SIM?
5) Will I be able to sync thru Itunes - in turbosim i dont have issues on synchronizing.?

thanks, chris

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
that is somewhat a contradiction to the following site: blog.iphone-dev.org | The man from DelMonte - He say Yes!
which recomends upgrading to 2.2 any comments?

The link you posted it says nothing about using Sim Adapter hacks. If you read the blog post before that particular one they go into more detail about it.

"The use of SIM-Proxies (small circuit boards/chips that sit underneath the SIM card) to provide GSM/UMTS service on your locked iPhone 3G is a method that we have always advised against. Early reports suggest that the 2.2 update disables the functionality of these devices. The techniques used were always unreliable and we are surprised that they have lasted this long."

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox