iPhone stuck in constant state of reboot

michaelzoradi

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
I followed the jailbreaking guide on this page exactly (link below) but now after step 8 my phone just reboots over and over again. Apple logo for a few min, white screen flash, Apple logo for a few min again. Never stops.

How To: Jailbreak iPhone 2.1 - Mac OS X Edition | The iPhone Blog

I'm on a Mac (10.5.5) with an iPhone 3G in the US on AT&T (not unlocked obviously). In the comments on the guide page there are a couple of people who posting about having the same problem but there doesn't seem to be any answers on this forum regarding this issue.

Anyone else having this problem? If so, what's the solution?

michaelzoradi

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
Been trying it again and again over the last 2 hours. Nothing. Just does the infinite reboot each time. Are there some phones that jailbreaking just will not work on? If so I think I have one of them.

Blackangel13

Oct 17, 2008
Visit site
there is another topic about this some iphones just not being able to jailbreak but everyone says thats false but it seams more and more people seam to have this problem. me inclueded

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
there is another topic about this some iphones just not being able to jailbreak but everyone says thats false but it seams more and more people seam to have this problem. me inclueded

I'd love to tell you that some can't be jailbroken but that is not the case. It's one of two things - either you are doing something wrong and may not even know it or your computer setup is creating a issue for you.

Plain and simple.

Blackangel13

Oct 17, 2008
Visit site
every computer setup is wrong? xp? vista? me? the only thing i've not tried is a mac, and guess what with quickpwn how can you do it wrong!? I used the downloaded ispw file from this site every time and it never askes for bootloaders. i think there is something going on from apple that there not telling people to fight back against hackers.

Blackangel13

Oct 17, 2008
Visit site
yes i do that was the first thing i did before I did anything and on the other computers i didn't even have to install them, they were already there.

jayman30

Oct 28, 2008
www.iphonedownlow.com
Apple logo for a few min, white screen flash, Apple logo for a few min again. Never stops.

Had the same problem, also running OSX 10.5.5. It was a total pain getting the phone back into restore mode and reinstalling the original 2.1 software and firmware with iTunes--thought it may have been bricked for good for a while.

It shouldn't be a problem with my Macbook's setup since I jailbroke my old Gen 1, 4GB iphone to give it added eBay value. I followed the exact same guide I tried the the 3G with no problems at all. I was so impressed with the added functionality jailbreaking gave that I wanted to give it a try on my new iPhone.

A friend of mine bought his 3G a few weeks before mine jailbroke it with no problems, only difference is that it came with the 2.0.1 software and was upgraded to 2.1, then jailbroken w/Quickpwn. Mine came from the AT&T store with 2.1 installed--maybe a minor hardware revision to the latest phones is giving Quickpwn problems?

I'm going to try again with a Vista PC later--will post if successful.

---UPDATE

Tried again on Laptop with QuickPwn on Vista installed with same result--endless reboot @ Apple Logo. Restoring phone to virgin status now.

-jayman30

Last edited:

Blackangel13

Oct 17, 2008
Visit site
still nothing on this huh? seams to me that there really is something going on because there are plenty of people across the country having this same problem

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
every computer setup is wrong? xp? vista? me? the only thing i've not tried is a mac, and guess what with quickpwn how can you do it wrong!? I used the downloaded ispw file from this site every time and it never askes for bootloaders. i think there is something going on from apple that there not telling people to fight back against hackers.

The thing is, no offense to anyone, not every one does it right. I've never had any issue with jailbreaking. And I've done a lot of them. Trust me you could do it wrong, no matter how simple it seems. And the only time you should be using bootloaders is if you are unlocking a 1st gen iPhone.... and if you are using a iPhone 3g and jailbreaking with the instructions that mention bootloaders.... you are using the wrong guide.

Apple has not done anything to prevent jailbreaking. Trust me on that one. Every single guide, if followed properly, works just fine.

jayman30

Oct 28, 2008
www.iphonedownlow.com
I've jailbroke/unlocked 2 first gens with zero problems on the first try. One 4GB and one 8GB. This 3G will not jailbreak no matter what I've tried.
:(
The bootloader/unlock options aren't even available when QuickPwn detects a 3G and the bootloader files were not even downloaded anywhere on the second machine I tried to jailbreak the phone on.

I used this guide when trying on my Mac and this one when trying on Windows.

Is there any kind of verbose boot mode or log files on the phone that can be used to track down what is causing the phone to hang and endlessly reboot?

Its really disappointing since the jailbreak apps add so much functionality to the device..I don't know where to go from here.. :confused:

Last edited:

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I've jailbroke/unlocked 2 first gens with zero problems on the first try. One 4GB and one 8GB. This 3G will not jailbreak no matter what I've tried.
:(
The bootloader/unlock options aren't even available when QuickPwn detects a 3G and the bootloader files were not even downloaded anywhere on the second machine I tried to jailbreak the phone on.

I used this guide when trying on my Mac and this one when trying on Windows.

Is there any kind of verbose boot mode or log files on the phone that can be used to track down what is causing the phone to hang and endlessly reboot?

Its really disappointing since the jailbreak apps add so much functionality to the device..I don't know where to go from here.. :confused:

There should not be any option regarding bootloaders with the iPhone 3g. So I don't know where you guys are getting this whole bootloader thing unless you are using the wrong guides. Even the guide you posted in your thread says nothing about bootloaders.

More than likely it is something with your setup or something is running in the background. And for windows users make sure you have the latest .net framework installed on your machine. I wish I could help each and every one of you out but with so many factors in the mix it is hard to do so. Hope it works out for you.

jayman30

Oct 28, 2008
www.iphonedownlow.com
So I don't know where you guys are getting this whole bootloader thing

Dude, you brought up the bootloader files being a possible problem in your earlier post:
And the only time you should be using bootloaders is if you are unlocking a 1st gen iPhone.... and if you are using a iPhone 3g and jailbreaking with the instructions that mention bootloaders.... you are using the wrong guide.

I posted that they aren't available on 3g installs:
The bootloader/unlock options aren't even available when QuickPwn detects a 3G

I'll just hold off til the 2.2 update and try again when it can be jailbroke.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Dude, you brought up the bootloader files being a possible problem in your earlier post:

I posted that they aren't available on 3g installs:

I'll just hold off til the 2.2 update and try again when it can be jailbroke.

Hey "dude".... I never brought up bootloader files being the issue in this thread what so ever... so don't go putting words in my mouth... someone else mentioned it and I commented on it.

You mentioned bootloaders as well. Why even bring it up if you are not using a guide that mentions them? Maybe you should be more clear in your posts. Re read your post again, it sounds like you expect bootloaders...

Here is what you said:
"The bootloader/unlock options aren't even available when QuickPwn detects a 3G and the bootloader files were not even downloaded anywhere on the second machine I tried to jailbreak the phone on."

Exactly, because they are not suppose to. And that's all I said about bootloaders, never said they were the problem.

Sorry you are having issues.... good luck.

Last edited:

jayman30

Oct 28, 2008
www.iphonedownlow.com
Easy man, didn't mean to insult you , I appreciate all the help and suggestions-- its just frustrating that's all.

Anyway found this info on some blog comments, might be of help. Will try tomorrow and let everyone know if sucessfull.

-------------------------------

Took the plunge and just jailbroke my iPhone 3g with 2.1 firmware. I?m running Windows XP and iTunes 8. This tutorial worked like a charm. The only thing I had to do differently was I HAD to have iTunes running, as opposed to the disclaimer above that said ?disable ANYTHING Apple or iTunes related.? I also chose not to install the pineapple boot screen, but did install Cydia and Installer. Thanks a million!
------------------------------------------
MUST BE RUNNING ITUNES WHEN YOU DO THIS!!!!

So easy a 10 year old could do this.

I tried an older method of the 2.1 jailbreak with the downgrading of itunes and I would get the hanging screen with the vibrates, however this one worked so easily. Way awesome, I hated not having a background behind my icons!

Follow these steps, as this is what worked the 1st time 100% for me.

1. Download QuickPwn, and the Restore file "iPhone1,2_2.1_5F136_Restore.ipsw"

2. Extract the QuickPwn zip and copy the firmware restore to that folder as well.

3. Plug your iphone into your PC directly do not use hubs, strait to the back!

-------------------------------------------
Hi. I have successedfully jailbroken my iPhone 3G using QuickPWN 2.1 GUI. But to be honest it wasn't that easy. After the QuickPWN programs says "wait for your device to reboot..", my iPhone was stuck in the boot logo for quite sometime. The iPhone vibrates several times and it gets me worried sick. It doesn't boot at all. What I did was, while the iPhone was booting, I disconnected the USB cable, opened iTunes 8 and then re-attached the USB cable. The home screen showed up.

Another thing is when I delete applications from the Apple Store on the iPhone screen, sometimes the iPhone restarts by itself bringing you back to the boot logo. Does anyone know what causes this or how to fix this?

Thanks in advance.
4. Startup iTunes and make a backup of your phone (Just incase) and copy your pictures (just incase).

5. Run QuickPwn.exe

6. Follow instructions (I left out the boot logo change incase I bricked it I could return it)

7. After it finishes up on your phone which you will see the quickpwn software working, first you will see a hard drive picture with info on what its doing, then it will be followed by a picture of QuickPwn's logo then it will reboot after a few mins (2 mins for me) 

8. BAM 2.1 Jailbroke iphone 3g 

THANKS DEV TEAM!!!!

Last edited:

jayman30

Oct 28, 2008
www.iphonedownlow.com
Anyway found this info on some blog comments, might be of help. Will try tomorrow and let everyone know if sucessfull.

No Dice, QuickPwn automatically closes iTunes during the jailbreak process. When I restarted iTunes QuickPwn would just close it again. Oh, and stuck at the boot logo once again.. :( :( :( Tried a different USB port, unplugging USB cable from phone and force quitting iTunes while stuck booting-- no luck getting past apple logo.

Anyway sorry if I PO'ed anyone (Bad Ash) with my rants and frustrations, guess its just not meant to be on this phone.

Last edited:

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Yeah, don't leave iTunes open while jailbreaking. Have you checked your .net framwork? That must be up to date. If you checked that already, sorry.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73