iPhone stuck in constant state of reboot

jayman30

Oct 28, 2008
www.iphonedownlow.com
**Sorry for the length of this post, I tried to list all the details to help with a possible solution/suggestions.***

I tried taking a step back and using Pwnage Tool 2.1 to build a custom ipsw file and do a restore my iPhone using iTunes following a guide posted here.

I downloaded a fresh ipsw file from Apple using Firefox instead of Safari (as the guide suggests). I did this on my Macbook running Leopard 10.5.5 and iTunes 8.0.1.

After reading the guide carefully, I built the file making sure to UNCHECK the ?Activate? Phone box.

I restarted the phone in DFU mode, fired up iTunes and, after unpacking the ipsw file, it refused to restore the phone using the custom firmware giving "This iPhone cannot be restored an unknown error has occured" error and directing me to this KB article.. This error occurred during the "Preparing to Restore your iPhone" stage.

After rebuilding the custom firmware a couple of times, renaming the restore ipsw to match the original file's name on the last attempt. But kept getting the same "Unknown Error" results, I restored the phone to Virgin status with the fresh, Firefox downloaded, factory firmware with no problems or errors at all. I did this while still in DFU mode, and without restarting my Macbook or changing anything from the attempts to restore with the custom ipsw.

Apparently this phone (or iTunes 8) is detecting the modified restore firmware. Is that possible? I heard that iTunes 8 used to able to detect jailbroke phones AFTER jailbreaking, but that had been fixed.
:confused::confused::confused:

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
**Sorry for the length of this post, I tried to list all the details to help with a possible solution/suggestions.***

I tried taking a step back and using Pwnage Tool 2.1 to build a custom ipsw file and do a restore my iPhone using iTunes following a guide posted here.

I downloaded a fresh ipsw file from Apple using Firefox instead of Safari (as the guide suggests). I did this on my Macbook running Leopard 10.5.5 and iTunes 8.0.1.

After reading the guide carefully, I built the file making sure to UNCHECK the ?Activate? Phone box.

I restarted the phone in DFU mode, fired up iTunes and, after unpacking the ipsw file, it refused to restore the phone using the custom firmware giving "This iPhone cannot be restored an unknown error has occured" error and directing me to this KB article.. This error occurred during the "Preparing to Restore your iPhone" stage.

After rebuilding the custom firmware a couple of times, renaming the restore ipsw to match the original file's name on the last attempt. But kept getting the same "Unknown Error" results, I restored the phone to Virgin status with the fresh, Firefox downloaded, factory firmware with no problems or errors at all. I did this while still in DFU mode, and without restarting my Macbook or changing anything from the attempts to restore with the custom ipsw.

Apparently this phone (or iTunes 8) is detecting the modified restore firmware. Is that possible? I heard that iTunes 8 used to able to detect jailbroke phones AFTER jailbreaking, but that had been fixed.
:confused::confused::confused:

Yes, that was possible but it was fixed in the latest version of the QuickPWN tool. Make sure you are up to date on everything.

drome_mc

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
The thing is, no offense to anyone, not every one does it right. I've never had any issue with jailbreaking. And I've done a lot of them.

Every single guide, if followed properly, works just fine.

If you've never had an issue with jailbreaking, could you help me out and tell me where I've gone wrong, then? Because I followed 2 iPod Touch guides -- 1st generation, v2.1 firmware -- and they both tell me different things. How could those both work, if followed properly? I've been obsessed with this for about 20 hours straight, now, and no results. Something's missing, but the guides certainly don't have the info.

For example, when you start up iTunes to restore, what do you do when iTunes doesn't recognize the iPod anymore?

Under other methods, iTunes recognizes it, says that it needs to be restored, but I get an error 1601: "An iPod has been detected, but it could not be identified properly. Please disconnect and reconnect the iPod, then try again. An unknown error occurred (1601)." Mac OS X 10.4.11.

Under other methods, I consistently get to the point where iTunes is restoring my jailbroken .ipsw file, then I get an error 21 after a few minutes, and it cancels: "The iPod "iPod" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (21)."

Any help, anyone?

Last edited:

jayman30

Oct 28, 2008
www.iphonedownlow.com
FINALLY got it to work with Quickpwn 2.2 and 2.2 OS Update. I uninstalled all Apple App Store apps, rebooted the phone then ran Quickpwn and it worked like a charm! Took 10 Minutes tops and now its working great!

Maybe a 3rd party app was causing all the problems.

:D:D:D

drome_mc

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the follow-up report!

I'm still waiting for a release of an unlocked iPod Touch (1st Gen) 2.2 firmware. Stock 2.2 is worth more to me than an unlocked 2.1, at this point. Thanks again!

drome_mc

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
Just another update for anyone who may find this thread later:

First I followed jayman30's example and uninstalled all 3rd-part apps from my iPod Touch (1st Gen).

Then I carefully looked at the official release of QuickPwn/PwnageTool 2.2, where they seemed to feel that a 1st Gen iPod Touch should be able to be unlocked using either QuickPwn or PwnageTool.

1) QuickPwn

Same thing happened as always: I run the program and everything goes fine until it's in DFU mode and the firmware is being sent across via a progress bar, at which point it hangs. I force-quit QuickPwn after a few minutes of nothing happening, and the iPod hasn't been affected at all.

2) PwnageTool:

Same thing as always: I create a new .ipsw file, enter DFU mode, option-click "restore" on the iPod in iTunes, select my new .ipsw file, it begins to extract, then error 21.

Tentative conclusions:
-The same problem is affecting PwnageTool and QuickPwn, but they manifest themselves differently.

Last edited by a moderator:

ladirties

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi drome_mc.. I have the exact same problem

Have you managed to work it out? I am dieing here!!

I had my firmware 2.1 jailbroken then watching all my mates jailbreak on 2.2.1 I wanted to upgrade.

I literally have the exact same problem with both QuickPwn and PwnageTool

Looking forward to hearing from you!!

drome_mc

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
Man, I wish I had good news for you. I gave up, and have just been using the locked Apple firmware.

My wife has a 1st gen iPhone, and when I tried to unlock it I was shocked that it was easy, fast, and everything went as planned. My guess is that there's a problem in the dev. team's unlocked iPod Touch firmware. But who knows?

Please update the thread if you find anything out, will ya? Thx.

jamesus

TiPb Forum Staff
Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
Man, I wish I had good news for you. I gave up, and have just been using the locked Apple firmware.

My wife has a 1st gen iPhone, and when I tried to unlock it I was shocked that it was easy, fast, and everything went as planned. My guess is that there's a problem in the dev. team's unlocked iPod Touch firmware. But who knows?

Please update the thread if you find anything out, will ya? Thx.

You might be having problems as this thread is aimed at the iPhone. I don't own a touch, but I'm sure there is different software for jailbreaking it. Look at the Dev Team's blog.

jamesus

TiPb Forum Staff
Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
Yeah, it's a different firmware, but I've been using their tools that supposedly work with iPod Touch.

Are you using a Windows Machine or Mac? And you are using QuickPwn, correct? I ask since I noticed you mentioned Pwnage Tool and I think that jailbreaking the iPod Touch 1G all you need is QuickPwn.

drome_mc

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
Mac, and I've tried both QuickPwn and Pwnage Tool. In theory, either is all you need, but as described above, neither works for a few of us. I wonder if anyone out there has successfully Pwned a 1G iPod.

jamesus

TiPb Forum Staff
Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
Mac, and I've tried both QuickPwn and Pwnage Tool. In theory, either is all you need, but as described above, neither works for a few of us. I wonder if anyone out there has successfully Pwned a 1G iPod.

Don't have a Mac or iPod touch, so I really can't help. Sorry! :eek:

shabbadooo

May 4, 2009
Visit site
drome_mc and others, just reading this about the way your iphone hangs after trying to use quickpwn and pwnage tool... did you ever sort this out?

i've got a first gen iphone which had been jailbroken a while ago and running 1.1.4 or something, then i upgraded the firmware with itunes to 2.2.1, then tried to use quickpwn and it just hung there when it was trying to install the ipsw... then i tried to use pwnage tool and itunes would not recognize the iphone in dfu state. now it is out of dfu state but it only has a state of apple logo/boot up or the screen which shows the usb connecting to itunes logo. cannot turn it off and i get an error when i try to legitimately restore it in itunes.

where you able to do anything to solve these issues?

thanks!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox