Seeking Beta Testers for the Word Art app

JosephDuffy

Jul 28, 2016
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I've been developing an iOS 10 iMessage app that will be launching with iOS 10, and I'm now looking for some beta testers.

Word Art allows you to create your own custom stickers directly from within the Messages app and send them via iMessage. Created stickers can be edited and deleted, and changes are synced via iCloud.

If you'd like to join the beta, please sign up at: https://wordartbeta.yetii.net. Note that you will need an iOS 10 device.

Screenshots

Simulator Screen Shot 29 Aug 2016, 12.06.35.png Simulator Screen Shot 29 Aug 2016, 20.20.06.png

Features

? Create, edit, and send custom stickers within the Messages app
? Customise the sticker, including:
? Colors
? Text size
? Font
? Shadow
? Stroke
? Created stickers are synced between devices via iCloud
? Easily drag, rotate, and scale created stickers directly in to iMessage conversations

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: [Beta] Word Art - iOS 10 iMessage App

A better description would be that you're developing an app that works in conjunction with the iOS Messages app, in my opinion.

JosephDuffy

Jul 28, 2016
Visit site

A better description would be that you're developing an app that works in conjunction with the iOS Messages app, in my opinion.

I do not personally like the "iMessage App" naming/wording, but I'm sticking with how Apple are naming it in their marketing: "iMessage Apps". I may end up tweaking this based on where the text is going to be shown.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for checking it out! I'm currently working on a redesign on the editor screen and will be adding a couple more features before iOS 10 launches. Do you have any requests or suggestions?

Fix the edit option. It doesn't work. It worked last night, but doesn't today. I get the "will not load" message.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Apple calls them "iMessage apps".
Here's mine:
3ede81f0dec38e7bda5bc34a3fef9261.jpg

JosephDuffy

Jul 28, 2016
Visit site
Are you talking about editing a previously created sticker? There is no generic "will not load" error that the app will display, so that error must be coming from somewhere else. Is it just a blank view with the text "Failed to load Word Art"? Would you be able to provide a screenshot? Feel free to PM or email me.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Are you talking about editing a previously created sticker? There is no generic "will not load" error that the app will display, so that error must be coming from somewhere else. Is it just a blank view with the text "Failed to load Word Art"? Would you be able to provide a screenshot? Feel free to PM or email me.

This is what I get when I tap the "edit" option. Maybe it's just me. It worked fine last night. Not today.
1abef67dbb09e2922a641575ccd00f47.jpg

JosephDuffy

Jul 28, 2016
Visit site
This is what I get when I tap the "edit" option. Maybe it's just me. It worked fine last night. Not today.
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160830/1abef67dbb09e2922a641575ccd00f47.jpg

That's an error that iOS shows, so I'm not sure what the cause is. I don't have any reported crashes, either. I will see if I can find anything that might cause this, but failing that I am adding a feature to be able to save stickers you receive that were created in Word Art, so I might ask you to send it to me so I can investigate further.

Thank you your testing and for the screenshot!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
That's an error that iOS shows, so I'm not sure what the cause is. I don't have any reported crashes, either. I will see if I can find anything that might cause this, but failing that I am adding a feature to be able to save stickers you receive that were created in Word Art, so I might ask you to send it to me so I can investigate further.

Thank you your testing and for the screenshot!

It may be my phone. I'm having issues downloading other beta apps from Testflight. The stickers I created are in the recents in messages, and work fine.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Apps from the App Store download ok. It's Testflight I think. Not sure. I have 2 beta apps in Testflight that will not load.

DarlaMack

Apple TV Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Thank you @JosephDuffy for extending the invitation!! I signed up but I'm at work so can't leave feedback at the moment. :p

JosephDuffy

Jul 28, 2016
Visit site
Testflight is working now, but Word Art still will not load.

I am not seeing any crash logs so it's hard to debug this issue. I am hoping that this is fixed in the next iOS or Word Art beta, but if it is not fixed then you should be able to share any problematic stickers with me and I will be able to diagnose the issue further.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I am not seeing any crash logs so it's hard to debug this issue. I am hoping that this is fixed in the next iOS or Word Art beta, but if it is not fixed then you should be able to share any problematic stickers with me and I will be able to diagnose the issue further.

The stickers I have in recents work fine. I just can't create new ones or edit existing ones. Have you had anyone else experience this?

JosephDuffy

Jul 28, 2016
Visit site
The stickers I have in recents work fine. I just can't create new ones or edit existing ones. Have you had anyone else experience this?

That does sound like there's a crash when loading the editor, then. Can you confirm that you're on the latest iOS beta? I will have a thorough look through the code today to see if I can spot any issues, and try to ensure that if this is a crash that can be caught, that that crash is then logged.

So far you're the only one to report this and I've not come across it during my use or testing. Hopefully the issue will get resolved.

Sorry for the problems you've been having, but thank you for testing!