What languages?

xderiwx

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
Hello everyone!

Just had a quick question regarding programming for iOS. If it makes any difference, this is just something I wanted to do for myself personally, not professionally.

For someone interested in learning how to code iOS apps in 2015 with no prior coding knowledge/experience besides HTML/CSS, what languages would you recommend now that Swift is getting very popular? Is Objective-C the way to go? Swift? Both? Other?

Can HTML/CSS and JavaScript skills be used for anything, in regards to iOS app development?

Thanks!

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Swift... And the html, css, and Java would be good to know to make your own web site for any app you develop...

VokabelBox

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
1+ for Swift. I asked myself the same question a few months ago and I went with Swift. There are not so many tutorials for Swift but I could solve all my problems. Maybe it took me a little bit longer sometimes. Also it is very easy to use Objective-C Code in your Swift project.

katy

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
This is how I heard it out the other day--if you just want to learn to make apps for yourself, then go with Swift. If you plan to get a job making apps, go with Objective-C because so many apps that you'd need to maintain are written in it.

Moreover it strongly depend on what kind of application you want to develop. If you need to incorporate C/C++ you should be familiar with Objective-C.

TeemuPRKL

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
Swift will probably be easier to approach if you don't have prior programming experience besides HTML/CSS/JavaScript. Personally I think it is more important to get to understand the iOS SDK and frameworks and learn to use them efficiently - that can be done with either of the languages.

ZapharaArts

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
For iOS game development I recently started using Swift. Took me a few weeks to get used to it but now i love it for fast prototyping of ideas.

Q115115

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
Swift if you're learning to code for yourself, if you're looking to get a job, then you should do Objective-C as many companies will require it.

imnewbie

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
Swift for near future and Objective C for now. Many company has project still use Objective C, so, you have to know it if you want to get more iOS jobs chance now.

DangerousYams

Jan 21, 2017
Visit site
I would actually recommend trying Unity.
You can code in either C# or Javascript in Unity and deploy to almost all the platforms out there (iOS, OSX, Android, Windows etc)
It's easy to learn with tons of tutorials and great community support.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods