Which Mac machine is best value for money to start app development?

radmore

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I am about to start developing apps for the iPhone and iPad - I would like your feedback as to what is the best value for money/ performance machine available from Apple?
1. Is the Mac Mini with the following sepcifications sufficient (priced at approximately $650) ?
Processor, Memory, and Motherboard
Hardware Platform: Mac
Processor: 2.4 GHz Intel Core Duo
System Bus Speed: 1066
Number of Processors: 1
RAM: 2 GB
RAM Type: SDRAM

Hard Drive
Size: 320 GB
Manufacturer: None
Type: Serial ATA

Graphics and Display
LCD Native Resolution: 2560 x 1600

Thanks for the feedback......

rumsoft

May 8, 2011
Visit site
We've used a baseline original MacBook Air, a baseline last generation Mini, and a 2008 24" iMac - any of which is comparable to what you've listed. Really, I think any "modern" Mac that is capable of running XCode is plenty powerful to get started, and you don't need to break the bank. If you already have one or more decent displays then a Mini is a good choice.

MiracleMan

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I would think that setup would be sufficient. I compiled apps using Xcode on my older MacBook pro (silver keys) which had a duo core 2.4mhz processor and 2gb of memory. But that price for those specs seems a bit high. MBP's with similar stats are selling in the $600-$700 range.

hitcode

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I think, that more important is testing application on real hardware. I have been iphone 3g with 3.2 and i have been iphone 4 to test retina display.

atoms

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
I dunno if 2 GB of memory is enough though. I mean, if all you are doing is app dev, then maybe, but if you are also going to use it for email, web browsing and all that, then I would think you'd need more. I have 4GB in my Mac Book Pro and at times I could use more memory.

The cannonical advice used to be to buy the Mac and then add memory on your own as it is a lot less expensive that way. I have not looked at the economics of that lately so YMMV. Also, technically it may void your warranty, but I've always done it and never had a problem using AppleCare.

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Agree with the above although that spec would be sufficient if you're just using it for developing apps and nothing else. I'm using the iMac 21" for my apps but I also use it for my business too but so far loving it :D

I don't like the MacBook pro because as far as I know it comes in 15" and that is a tiny screen and plus the iMac is cheaper and a much better spec.

hotpaw2

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I currently do iOS development on an MBA 11. Works great, both with and without a large external monitor. Mostly without. Still works great.

Axeva

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
If this is your first foray in to iPhone development, you might want to consider a quick scan of eBay. A (slightly) used Mac Mini might be your best option.

Once you've made your first hit game, you can spray out the cash for the God of Thunder Mac Pro configuration, but I'd rather see you spend $500 on promoting your new app rather than buying a brand new computer.

Just a contrarian opinion...