Which Mac machine is best value for money to start app development?

pmararav

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I am using a mid-2007 iMac (2.4GHz Intel Core Duo 2) and an early-2008 macbook pro.
Both of them with 4gig RAM and they work flawlessly.
The only problem I have (not actual problem, rather preference) is the screen size as it cannot fit the full height of the iPad simulator.
Other than that, all is ok...

DoodleDudeDan

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
If you already have a different system with it's own screen (who doesn't) you can just swap back and forth (On my cheap little Acer that's just a touch of the input button). That reduces the "accessories" cost and makes the Mac Mini much more attractive. I've used one since last Feb, successfully built applications, and NEVER had an issue! I *love* my Mac Mini - and this coming from an ex-Windows platform guy!

Extra benefit.

1. Get a few extra cables so you can leave all existing cables set up,
2. Unplug it.
3. You can almost fit it in you pocket and take it with you anywhere!

"Must haves" to make this quick and easy - any bluetooth mouse (I use a cheap knock off version), Apple's little wireless keyboard, and most importantly a VGA video conversion plug so you can use a generic monitor wherever you go (even the library if they're not watching too closely!) :D

Oh! and stick a few batteries in your pocket for that most inconvenient moment possible when 1 of your Bluetooth accessories will decide to run out of juice...:mad:

Happy Coding!

DoodleDudeDan

Infinite Beta

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
We just finished development on our game, Critter Chaos, and all we used was a Mac Mini.

We didn't really have a big budget, so we just needed the cheapest mac available.

The only time I noticed it being too slow was after a few hours working in both Photoshop and XCode. However, I wasn't using both programs at the same time too often though...

anefiox

Jan 22, 2012
Visit site
Lesser spec

I have a lesser spec Mac mini: Core 2 Duo 1.83, 1GB RAM, 80GB hard drive. It does slow down quite bit. But I'm using Corona SDK at the moment so I develop on my much better spec windows machine and just build on the Mac mini. I have a drop box folder setup so I don't have to worry about transferring data.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW