I bought a brand new iPad Pro 9.7 on Sunday night. 9.3.2 downloaded last night and it's now causing massive battery drain. I lost 30% in 90 minutes this morning for example and that was without using it. I've force closed all of the apps, restarted it, and then completely shut it off for several minutes but none of these fixed the issue. I can try to restore the device tonight after work but I really hate that I'm restoring a 2 day old device.

I know the update has been bricking 9.7 pro's. Has anyone else had this issue however? I wish I would have known about the bricking issue because then I would have waited. Since the device was so new I just assumed that this was an update that was still pending to bring my device current so I didn't do any investigating like I usually do.
    05-17-2016 11:05 AM
  2. Honey Beagle said: Best Answer

I have iPad Pro 12.9. Me will wait awhile.
    One reason why most hold off on updating for a few days...Not what you did was wrong, but with new hardware. Sometimes it;s just best to wait.... Apparently the beta text on the pros must not have been completed?

Have you contacted Apple to get a ETA on the OS fix?
    05-17-2016 11:23 AM
    I didn't contact Apple yet because I haven't done a restore. There are numerous findings online that talk specifically about the bricking issue but that seems to be the extent so far. I had a bad experience in the past with an Apple update so I always wait a few days now. I got a pop up last night notifying me of the new update and just assumed it was because the device was so new (less than 24 hours at that point). In the meantime I was mostly curious if this could possibly be a defective iPad or part of a more widespread problem because of the update.
    05-17-2016 12:10 PM
    Apple support document:

Check for hardware issues

If you see error 53, learn what to do. If you see one of the errors below, you might have a hardware issue:

• 1, 3, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 16
    • 20, 21, 23, 26, 27, 28, 29, 34, 35, 36, 37, 40, 56
    • 1002, 1004, 1011, 1012, 1014, 1667 1669

Here’s what to check:

1. Make sure that you have the latest version of iTunes.
    2. Check for issues with third-party security software.
    3. Make sure that your USB cable, computer, and network are reliable. Then try twice more to restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod.
    4. If you still see the error message, you can check for outdated or modified software or contact Apple support.
    05-17-2016 03:49 PM
    I have the 9.7 pro and have been running all the beta's without issue. I updated to the official last night and don't see any significant battery loss. It is a large update so maybe you would see some initial battery loss but should level out
    05-17-2016 04:34 PM
    I have iPad Pro 12.9. Me will wait awhile.
    05-17-2016 04:46 PM
    I have the 9.7 pro and have been running all the beta's without issue. I updated to the official last night and don't see any significant battery loss. It is a large update so maybe you would see some initial battery loss but should level out
    This is incredible battery drain. Like 15-20% an hour. I did try to reset the device to brand new but it's still draining and overheating even as a new device. It has to be the latest update. It was working fine yesterday, keeping in mind that yesterday was my first full day with the device.
    05-17-2016 06:23 PM
    very odd- I have been running the beta since i have the iPad without issue- may want to return for a new device

This is incredible battery drain. Like 15-20% an hour. I did try to reset the device to brand new but it's still draining and overheating even as a new device. It has to be the latest update. It was working fine yesterday, keeping in mind that yesterday was my first full day with the device.
    05-17-2016 06:56 PM
    I'm on my 9.7" iPad Pro right now, and it's running great with iOS 9.3.2 and my battery life has not changed a bit from what I can tell. Anyway, it's possible that the download and install became corrupted, and therefore, I recommend you reinstall via iTunes.
    05-17-2016 09:40 PM
    I have not tried to reinstall using iTunes. I will try that tomorrow morning and see if that work. I honestly didn't know you could reinstall.
    05-17-2016 09:51 PM
    I'm on my 9.7" iPad Pro right now, and it's running great with iOS 9.3.2 and my battery life has not changed a bit from what I can tell. Anyway, it's possible that the download and install became corrupted, and therefore, I recommend you reinstall via iTunes.
    I tried a reinstalling from iTunes this morning and I'm still having the same issue. I guess I'm going to have to give up and return it.

Does anyone know if i'm better off going to Best Buy where I bought it or making the trek to the Apple Store? I want to make sure I get another new iPad and not a refurb considering it's only a few days old at this point.
    05-18-2016 11:45 AM
    Go to Apple. They will make it right
    05-18-2016 11:48 AM
    Go to Apple. They will make it right
    Will I need a receipt or just the iPad and the box? Just so Apple realizes it's only a few days old at this point.
    05-18-2016 11:51 AM
    Apple can tell by the serial number. You shouldn't need the receipt.
    05-18-2016 03:34 PM
    Apple can tell by the serial number. You shouldn't need the receipt.
    I couldn't get an appointment last night so I have one for tonight after work. I went ahead and grabbed the receipt and box just in case. I'm hoping they don't give me any issues since I bought it from Best Buy and not them directly.
    05-19-2016 11:39 AM
    I tried a reinstalling from iTunes this morning and I'm still having the same issue. I guess I'm going to have to give up and return it.

Does anyone know if i'm better off going to Best Buy where I bought it or making the trek to the Apple Store? I want to make sure I get another new iPad and not a refurb considering it's only a few days old at this point.
    If you bought from BB but swap your iPad at Apple, you will no longer be able to return it to BB and lose your return period. I'd swap at BB so you keep your return period if it still doesn't work out.
    05-19-2016 04:06 PM
    If you bought from BB but swap your iPad at Apple, you will no longer be able to return it to BB and lose your return period. I'd swap at BB so you keep your return period if it still doesn't work out.
    I did end up going to Apple who was out of my exact version. They were willing to order one for me. He did mention a few times that I really should go back to Best Buy. Best Buy had been out of stock in my area so I really didn't see the point in going back to them. After leaving the Apple store empty handed I did check Best Buy one more time and they thankfully had received a shipment that day. They traded it out with no drama. It was just in time thankfully since they couldn't even get the ipad to turn on, even while trying to charge it.

I didn't think about ruining my possible return chances at Best Buy. I personally wasn't too concerned because I had no inkling to ever return it as long as it was in working condition.

Thankfully, 5 days later, I finally have a working iPad.
    05-20-2016 03:34 PM
    Seems like the new release is crappy for iPads. How do I refuse an update? My iPad asks everyday to install it.
    05-21-2016 08:47 PM
    Great question. I would also like to know.
    rdmartin1 likes this.
    05-21-2016 09:22 PM
    Seems like the new release is crappy for iPads. How do I refuse an update? My iPad asks everyday to install it.
    Great question. I would also like to know.
    https://discussions.apple.com/message/29004014#29004014
    rdmartin1 likes this.
    05-21-2016 09:32 PM
    I did end up going to Apple who was out of my exact version. They were willing to order one for me. He did mention a few times that I really should go back to Best Buy. Best Buy had been out of stock in my area so I really didn't see the point in going back to them. After leaving the Apple store empty handed I did check Best Buy one more time and they thankfully had received a shipment that day. They traded it out with no drama. It was just in time thankfully since they couldn't even get the ipad to turn on, even while trying to charge it.

I didn't think about ruining my possible return chances at Best Buy. I personally wasn't too concerned because I had no inkling to ever return it as long as it was in working condition.

Thankfully, 5 days later, I finally have a working iPad.
    That is awesome to hear that it worked out and you got a brand new in box form BB.
    05-21-2016 09:35 PM
    Good stuff. Thanks.
    05-21-2016 11:35 PM
    Good stuff. Thanks.
    You're very welcome...
    Last edited by Just_Me_D; 05-22-2016 at 04:41 PM.
    rdmartin1 likes this.
    05-22-2016 04:23 PM
    That wep pace address does not help. All that I see is l.

""Looking for something in Apple Support Communities?

The page you tried was not found. You may have used an outdated link or may have typed the address (URL) incorrectly.

Please visit the main page of Apple Support Communities for links to discussion areas.""
    05-22-2016 09:58 PM
    That wep pace address does not help. All that I see is l.

""Looking for something in Apple Support Communities?

The page you tried was not found. You may have used an outdated link or may have typed the address (URL) incorrectly.

Please visit the main page of Apple Support Communities for links to discussion areas.""
    Are you using a web browser? I just clicked on the link and was taken directly to the web page. If you're using a forum app, the problem may lie therein.
    05-22-2016 10:13 PM