Wifi icon I haven't seen

Reparkable

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys. Was in a public place today and was looking for wifi and saw this icon with 2 loops interlaced. What does that mean? Never seen it before. A closed network?ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1459726892.793622.jpg

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
It's missing here? What carrier do you have (it may not be offered)?

View attachment 104783

I have the unlocked 6s, on Straight Talk using the AT&T network. They do offer hotspot. Wifi Calling was the other thing missing, and that's offered for free with Straight Talk. According to them my phone is not wifi calling capable. I have iOS 9.3.1 :straight-face:

Even though I have no use for hotspot and would never use the service without paying for it, the setting should still be there.

2016-04-05 23.36.17.jpg

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I have the unlocked 6s, on Straight Talk using the AT&T network. They do offer hotspot. Wifi Calling was the other thing missing, and that's offered for free with Straight Talk. According to them my phone is not wifi calling capable. I have iOS 9.3.1 :straight-face:

Even though I have no use for hotspot and would never use the service without paying for it, the setting should still be there.

View attachment 104808

You try Reset All Settings?

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

9.3.1 won't do much for wifi calling if the phone isn't supported. Verizon only supports the 6-series and up for wifi calling, even if you're on 9.3.1. I don't know why they would say it doesn't support it.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
9.3.1 won't do much for wifi calling if the phone isn't supported. Verizon only supports the 6-series and up for wifi calling, even if you're on 9.3.1. I don't know why they would say it doesn't support it.

I'm not sure why they would say that either, unless Straight Talk themselves doesn't support the 6s.

Even so, should the option not be there in my settings regardless of weather or not it can be used on the carrier? Since it's not a branded phone I would think Wifi Calling and Personal Hotspot should be there in my settings even if I cannot activate them.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure why they would say that either, unless Straight Talk themselves doesn't support the 6s.

Even so, should the option not be there in my settings regardless of weather or not it can be used on the carrier? Since it's not a branded phone I would think Wifi Calling and Personal Hotspot should be there in my settings even if I cannot activate them.

It would not be there if the carrier didn't support it. I see options on other people's phones I don't have because Verizon doesn't support it or use the option. I would try contacting the carrier again. Maybe the rep you spoke with wasn't as knowledgeable as they thought they were. LOL Don't you switch carrier a lot? Maybe your phone is just confused.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
It would not be there if the carrier didn't support it. I see options on other people's phones I don't have because Verizon doesn't support it or use the option. I would try contacting the carrier again. Maybe the rep you spoke with wasn't as knowledgeable as they thought they were. LOL Don't you switch carrier a lot? Maybe your phone is just confused.

I logged in to Straight Talk and the option for free wifi calling is there attached to my account, and their site offers hot spot but you have to purchase the feature. I didn't speak to anyone on the phone. You have to type in your phone number and the last 4 digits on the sim card to enable the free wifi calling, and it's on that page that says my phone does not support it.

I've been with Straight Talk for, I think, roughly 2 years.... but just got my phone in January.

dictoresno

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
i think the setting isn't appearing because the Straight Talk Carrier Settings update blocks it. those settings, usually downloaded from the network when a carrier SIM is inserted and the phone powered on, are what control carrier specific settings and options. my guess is they don't allow personal hotspot and the carrier settings for them are blocking the feature. if you are absolutely sure you should be getting it, you may need a new/updated SIM card from them.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
i think the setting isn't appearing because the Straight Talk Carrier Settings update blocks it. those settings, usually downloaded from the network when a carrier SIM is inserted and the phone powered on, are what control carrier specific settings and options. my guess is they don't allow personal hotspot and the carrier settings for them are blocking the feature. if you are absolutely sure you should be getting it, you may need a new/updated SIM card from them.

We figured out what it was. It's the sim card. If you want the service you have to get a different sim. We checked with my fiance's new SE.... the settings were there until he activated the sim.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
We figured out what it was. It's the sim card. If you want the service you have to get a different sim. We checked with my fiance's new SE.... the settings were there until he activated the sim.

Well, there you go. Didn't I suggest checking the SIM? I'm not as ignorant as I thought I was.