Does night mode really help us sleep by making the screen warmer?

Bold9780_white

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys, since we have the official release (9.3) does night mode really help us sleep by making the screen warmer?

I am using it right now and will update if it works..

Thanks!

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Re: Night mode.. (Does it work?)

Anecdotal observation... seems to... I can wake up for other reasons at night, peek at the phone... and seemingly get back to sleep quicker than doing the same thing before NightShift...

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

I like it because it's easy on my old tired eyes. I have glaucoma and use drops daily. Night shift will help. Doesn't do a thing for my sleep though.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site

I love it, I am as true a night owl as they come. Natural bed time for me is when the sun comes up. And since blue light mimics sunlight to the brain, Night Shift's removal of blue from the spectrum is amazing. I myself turn the settings to the warmest possible. I find it easier to get to sleep at a more "normal" time. I also implement other things as well, such as having the blinds closed, and leaving only a couple lights on to keep it dim. The other night, this hasn't happened in many years, I actually fell asleep on my own, on the weekend, at around 1:30am. Which is around 3 hours earlier than when I normally go to sleep on the weekends. For me, with extra steps, Night Shift works wonders.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

It's a must if you use your phone in a very dark environment. Feels much better to the eyes.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

I don't use my phone in bed, but my wife does. I do use it before bed, though. I've found my experience much like @Ledsteplin above -- helps with eyes feeling so tired. I don't think my wife really noticed it on hers (but our daughter saw it, not knowing she was on the beta, and told her she needed a new screen protector - ha!).... she seems to be sleeping better, falling asleep faster, etc. Could just be that she's more tired lately but I'd like to think it helped. I like it :)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I've been using night shift for a while now, but my sleeping habits are the same as they were prior to using night shift as far as I can tell.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
It's subjective. However if you compare a night mode phone and one that doesn't have it enabled, it's pretty jarring the difference. Even somewhat blinding.

goodevening

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I don't think it really helps me to sleep any better but I think it is much easier on the eyes than the normal bright white light. Especially when using the phone or iPad in the dark.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone with a Fitbit or Apple Watch that uses sleep tracking have data from before and after? Would be curious the findings ... Not sure how much of a difference we would notice without that data. Maybe that's the "if a tree falls in the forest" analogy. I would like to think there's a sleep benefit, though I'll be happy with easier on the eyes.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
I think it's a placebo as sleep habits are what really work, but not having night shift is a bit jarring. That blue light can be a little blinding.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I think it's a placebo as sleep habits are what really work, but not having night shift is a bit jarring. That blue light can be a little blinding.

I challenge anyone who is sitting in bed in the dark to use Night Shift for a few minutes and toggle it off. You can feel that blue light hurting behind your eyes for a moment.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I challenge anyone who is sitting in bed in the dark to use Night Shift for a few minutes and toggle it off. You can feel that blue light hurting behind your eyes for a moment.

I totally agree! Whether it actually helps me sleep better is still up in the air but the warmer tint is definitely easier on tired eyes.

Jude3435

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Night Shift was one of the parts of iOS 9.3 that I was looking forward to most. I do use my iPhone in bed every single night (cellular signal turned off, of course). The warmer color helps reduce eye strain and I feel fine in the morning. I use melatonin to sleep so just add this to that type of list: melatonin, lavendar pillows, etc.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I was rather ambivalent about this feature.... until I tried it. I do like it. It's definitely easier on my eyes!

john_v

Apr 20, 2010
www.vinniesphotos.blogspot.com
My CPAP does way more for me sleeping than Night Shift, let me tell you that much! But I will concur that it's definitely easier on the eyes in the evening, so in that regard it's handy.

Robert I can't speak as to the Apple Watch but WRT the Fitbit sleep tracking...it's a sales gimmick. I've discussed it at length with my sleep doctor. When I had a Fitbit, I didn't even bother wearing it to bed at night. I knew I was having trouble sleeping, I didn't need at Fitbit to tell me that much. It's possible that it could come in handy for personal knowledge over a long term tracking of your overall amount of sleep. But if you take your Fitbit record into a pulmonologist they'll politely laugh at you, and discuss a sleep study. (for what it's worth, sleep study and CPAP was the best thing that ever happened to me. Have had it for just over seven months and I've never slept so good in my life.)

EDIT TO ADD: I should clarify that I did use my Fitbit for sleep tracking a little, but quit. After getting my CPAP, I did try it again just out of curiousity what it would show. The numbers of times restless really didn't change, but I knew without a doubt I was sleeping waaay better.

Does anyone with a Fitbit or Apple Watch that uses sleep tracking have data from before and after? Would be curious the findings ... Not sure how much of a difference we would notice without that data. Maybe that's the "if a tree falls in the forest" analogy. I would like to think there's a sleep benefit, though I'll be happy with easier on the eyes.

Bold9780_white

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
After 2 days of using night shift, the warm colors definitely helped my eyes, there was less stress on my eyes when using it with no lights in the room. Sleep is better because of the less stress in the eyes. ( i no longer get red eyes when i wake up )

jdfarley86

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
I'm not sure about better sleep, but I'm using it for the first time tonight (March 25) at midnight and it is definitely much easier on my eyes. Before Night Shift, the screen would be garish at night, even with it dimmed. I love this feature, and especially that its baked into iOS 9.3 and not a third party app.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73