Notes password bug

Ago5tino

Aug 31, 2015
Visit site
Just found another annoying problem.

Setting a password on notes is new, so I won't have already set a password previously. I went to lock some notes, but the pop up isn't allowing me to choose a password, it just says password incorrect! But how can it be if I've never set one!

Again, anyone else getting this?

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
It sounds to me like you need a fresh install. Sometimes when you install an update over the top of your current version some files can become corrupt. A factory reset gives you a fresh installation of the operating system files. If after a factory reset you still have the issue(s) then submit a bug report to Apple directly.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
It sounds to me like you need a fresh install. Sometimes when you install an update over the top of your current version some files can become corrupt. A factory reset gives you a fresh installation of the operating system files. If after a factory reset you still have the issue(s) then submit a bug report to Apple directly.

Agreed. Try a fresh install. If that doesn't work contact Apple Support.

Beards

Dec 8, 2015
Visit site
The problem here though with factory resets is you lose certain data which could be important.
For me that is the Health data:- where the only way to ensure you pass your data from device to device is to carry out an iTunes Encrypted Backup.
So, factory resetting isn't always the answer you want to hear.

kurpaige

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Did you go under settings and turn on password for notes? That seems to be the only way to get the lock option to show. That would be the password it's asking for

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
For troubleshooting purposes when it comes to OS file corruption a clean install is recommended. That's what they'll do at the Genius Bar.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I got mine to work.
1. Set a password in Settings >Notes
2. Go to Notes. Tap share arrow in upper right corner. Tap lock. Follow prompts.

Ago5tino

Aug 31, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate the help. I definitely had not set a password, but every time I tried to password protect a note it suggested a password was set.

Touch ID button however, *was* enabled. Turning that off gave me a reset password option, which would only apply to notes I lock after changing the password. As I hadn't yet set one, that didn't matter. So, reset, password set, Touch ID enabled, and all working ok.

Thanks for the help, glad I don't have to go through a factory reset. Thanks again.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate the help. I definitely had not set a password, but every time I tried to password protect a note it suggested a password was set.

Touch ID button however, *was* enabled. Turning that off gave me a reset password option, which would only apply to notes I lock after changing the password. As I hadn't yet set one, that didn't matter. So, reset, password set, Touch ID enabled, and all working ok.

Thanks for the help, glad I don't have to go through a factory reset. Thanks again.

Great, thanks for the update.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Also keep in mind the Notes lock feature only works with iCloud Notes and "on my iPhone" Notes. It doesn't appear to work on Gmail and other notes.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods