Substitute for Itunes

Soapm

May 26, 2015
Visit site
Can someone recommend a good substitute for iTunes?

Having only a 16gig Mini 2, I don't have music or video's, but I do have occasion to load a document now and then to be displayed using iProjection (Epson application) at the church. Hard to justify having full blown iTunes just to load a document but I can't put the document where I need it using Google Drive or iCloud...

BB-JAM215

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
You didn't say what type of document you want to open on your Mini, but if you install VLC Media Player, you be able to open and play a wide range of video file types as well as music.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm missing something here. Why would you iTunes to "load a document" or "put it where [you] need it"? Where do you need the document? What type of document? What app did you use to create the document?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Epson iProjection should display files from your iOS photo library, or camera roll. If it's in Document form, couldn't you take screen shots and display those?

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Can someone recommend a good substitute for iTunes?

Having only a 16gig Mini 2, I don't have music or video's, but I do have occasion to load a document now and then to be displayed using iProjection (Epson application) at the church. Hard to justify having full blown iTunes just to load a document but I can't put the document where I need it using Google Drive or iCloud...

Try Dropbox or Box.net. Do those work for you? Where do you need to put the document that those won't?

BB-JAM215

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
I see that the iProjection app supports a range of static document formats, so that still leaves the question as to what type of document you want to display?

Since the iProjection app is for smartphones and tablets, you also didn't mention what device you want to use to display your documents.

So, now I'm guessing that your actual issue is how to transfer documents from your MacMini to your unidentified device, and that is the reason you mentioned iTunes. One way would be to email them to yourself to and then open them in the iProjection app.

Last edited:

Soapm

May 26, 2015
Visit site
Sorry all, either word, ppt etc...

I have to place them where iProjection stores it's documents, I don't know the exact place on the iPad since i've never actually seen iOS file system but I get them into the document folder using iTunes... See attached screenshot...

iProjection.jpg

I haven't figured out how to put a Google drive or Drop box file into this folder, wherever it is...

So I am putting the documents onto an iPad Mini 2 from my PC running Windows 10...

Last edited:

BB-JAM215

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
So, in fact you don't need a substitute for iTunes, since it does exactly what you want, which is to copy files from your PC to the iProjection private file space on your iPad.

There is no common file system in IOS like there is in Windows, each app has it's own private file storage space.

I suggest you create an iProjection documents folder on your PC and use that to transfer all your iProjection files from you PC to your iPad device using iTunes. Just copy your iCloud and DropBox files to the same folder on your PC.

Soapm

May 26, 2015
Visit site
So, in fact you don't need a substitute for iTunes, since it does exactly what you want, which is to copy files from your PC to the iProjection private file space on your iPad.

There is no common file system in IOS like there is in Windows, each app has it's own private file storage space.

I suggest you create an iProjection documents folder on your PC and use that to transfer all your iProjection files from you PC to your iPad device using iTunes. Just copy your iCloud and DropBox files to the same folder on your PC.

I find iTunes hard to use and far more application than I need for this. It took me about 10 minutes to figure out what you see in the screenshot and this is something i've done several times before. I was hoping for a simple tool that would let me accomplish this task without thinking.

I don't see how to sync two folders like you mentioned but that would be a better solution. If I could put the files in the iProjection folder on my PC then have it sync to the iPad...

I find this "private space" limitation in iOS to be a source of wasted space. This means I have to store the file one place for iProjection and another to open/edit it in Keynotes and once I edit it in Keynotes I can't move it to iProjection space until I can get to my PC and use iTunes. This makes no sense...

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Actually, you do not need to use iTunes for this at all.

All you need to do is to email the document to your iPad and then use the "Open in" or "Copy to" feature to view the document in iProjection.

Much, much simpler than they way you are going about it.

Soapm

May 26, 2015
Visit site
Actually, you do not need to use iTunes for this at all.

All you need to do is to email the document to your iPad and then use the "Open in" or "Copy to" feature to view the document in iProjection.

Much, much simpler than they way you are going about it.

For some reason, attachments like ppt don't appear on iPad emails. I get this winmail.dat attachment but not the file. Is there something I'm supposed to do with those files?

Edited to add... Ok, the winmail.dat was caused by Outlook when using RTF. I solved that but can't figure out "Open in" or "Copy to"... I touch the file and it opens but I don't see a menu to do anything else but view it.

Last edited:

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
For some reason, attachments like ppt don't appear on iPad emails. I get this winmail.dat attachment but not the file. Is there something I'm supposed to do with those files?

Edited to add... Ok, the winmail.dat was caused by Outlook when using RTF. I solved that but can't figure out "Open in" or "Copy to"... I touch the file and it opens but I don't see a menu to do anything else but view it.

I open power point documents all the time that are sent to iOS mail.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Try Dropbox or Box.net. Do those work for you? Where do you need to put the document that those won't?

I have to agree with this. I use Dropbox to get all my documents onto my iPhone and it works perfectly. I just open the app I need, link Dropbox to it and download the doc I want.

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site

That has to do with where you are sending it from. Not the iPad. Open the attachment and use the "Up Arrow" for options of what to do with the file. iProjection will show up.

20160122_181617000_iOS.png

Soapm

May 26, 2015
Visit site
I have to agree with this. I use Dropbox to get all my documents onto my iPhone and it works perfectly. I just open the app I need, link Dropbox to it and download the doc I want.

Now that I know about long pressing, it works with Google drive. I just didn't know about the long press...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2