Law Suit for iPhone 4s

Honey Beagle

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Did anyone see this?

"In a new class action lawsuit, Apple is being accused of deceptive trade practices and false advertising due to its claims of iOS 9 being compatible with older iOS devices, primarily the iPhone 4s. The lawsuit claims that iOS ?significantly interferes? with the performance of the iPhone 4s and that Apple is in the wrong for not allow users to downgrade to older versions of the operating system.

The lawsuit, which has more than 100 backers, goes as far to say that the iPhone 4s was rendered essentially unusable by the iOS 9 update.

Laura Knotek

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
That sounds silly to me. The iPhone 4S is over 4 years old. What other smartphone that is 4 years old has even received any updates?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
That sounds silly to me. The iPhone 4S is over 4 years old. What other smartphone that is 4 years old has even received any updates?

I agree, Laura. When I read the article I just shook my head in disgust, but then I remembered that these are the times we're living in.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
The biggest kid on the playground also has the biggest target on his back. It's extortion if you ask me.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm using iOS 9 on an iPad Mini and iPad 2, both of which use a processor similar to the iPhone 4s. The hardware is old - no way any recent iOS runs as well on those as it does on the newer ones. Compatible in that it installs and does run, but not optimized for it.

Crazy lawsuit, IMO.

pacorob

Oct 3, 2014
Visit site
Peeps are not forced to update their phones.

No, but you still get a popup now and again and you can't turn that off.
I advised my mother to leave her iPhone 4s running 7.1.2 which runs pretty smooth in comparison to iOS8 and iOS9.

A lawsuit seems a step to far but it would at least be good to give people the option to go back to a previous iOS version if they want.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
No, but you still get a popup now and again and you can't turn that off.
I advised my mother to leave her iPhone 4s running 7.1.2 which runs pretty smooth in comparison to iOS8 and iOS9.

A lawsuit seems a step to far but it would at least be good to give people the option to go back to a previous iOS version if they want.

Or Apple update iOS 9.2.x to make the older phones smoother and more compatable.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Almost all whole number updates after the purchase of the phone seem to either slow or have no effect on your expensive piece of hardware. No sign of anything getting faster or longer battery life (as we are always promised). In one way I'm with these people, but only insofar as perhaps forcing Apple to be more honest about the possible effects of each update.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Peeps are not forced to update their phones.

Right, buy many wouldn't know that the upgrade was problematic until they upgraded and then they have no way to go back. I agree that Apple should allow people to install one older version of they wish, understanding that it may have known security risks, or maybe just hard cutoff phones and ipads after three years - no more OS upgrades.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't know, and maybe it's me, but it seems as if some people want it both ways. You can't have all of the benefits of an update geared around supporting a device with newer specs on an older device with outdated specs. Apple has tried to balance things with each update, but it's never good enough for some people. With technology, it is common knowledge that support wanes or is stopped altogether for older devices in a few years. Finally, I suspect that a good deal of the problems people are having are user-based and not the hardware and/or the iOS version. Of course, there are always exceptions.

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I have an iPhone 4S running iOS 9.2 and it runs okay but not as smooth as iOS 7 and 8.

It helps older phones run smoother if you leave about 20% of the storage capacity free. Also turn off some of the extras, like the animations. You would need to toggle on "reduce motion" for that. Toggle on "reduce transparency". Etc. Anything helps.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
It helps older phones run smoother if you leave about 20% of the storage capacity free. Also turn off some of the extras, like the animations. You would need to toggle on "reduce motion" for that. Toggle on "reduce transparency". Etc. Anything helps.

I have done those things and have most of my storage free,the only thing that helps is turning off all apps and closing all webpages, I don't want to get into silly arguments about wether or not it makes a difference, it does, and if you have the activity monitor app you can do a before and after with it and see for yourselves. Basically Apple should not suggest that there is a benefit for all iPhone owners when there is not.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I have done those things and have most of my storage free,the only thing that helps is turning off all apps and closing all webpages, I don't want to get into silly arguments about wether or not it makes a difference, it does, and if you have the activity monitor app you can do a before and after with it and see for yourselves. Basically Apple should not suggest that there is a benefit for all iPhone owners when there is not.

I was offering suggestions that may help his 4s run better. I wasn't arguing about what Apple does or doesn't do or should do.

Michol Kim

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
Guess what. The person who sued Mcdonalds because the lids were loose and the coffee was too hot and burned her while driving won millions! She also had a great lawyer but thats besides the point. Apple should of prevented the 4s from updating to the OS 9 like iphone 4 or at least warn naive customers that updating 4s would render the phone unusable. Perhaps Apple knew this and forced millions of 4s users to purchase another iphone to make billions more. If Apple allowed users to roll back to previous versions after learning how awful os 9 is for older phones then we wouldn't have this lawsuit. You can blame the customers for upgrading 4s but you also have to blame Apple for not giving out any warnings. I hope Apple loses because they can afford it and quite frankly they need to get back to their roots and start listening to customers again. OS 9 is laggy for older models and apple better listen before there stock crumbles.

MrRJ

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
Isn't the point that Apple said iOS9 had been designed with older hardware in mind? They didn't just imply it would run well, they flat out said it would be a better experience than iOS8.

I don't agree with a lawsuit but I can see why people are annoyed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2