That's what we call a straw man analogy. There is no true analogy between smartphones and cars for something like this.
    Be that as it may, the comparison, in and of itself, is legit.
    01-09-2016 08:16 PM
    Be that as it may, the comparison, in and of itself, is legit.
    That never happens (at least at anywhere near the scale) with cars. So, not legit.

The better analogy is imagining an older model car that could drive highway speeds that added equipment that weighed so much that it prevented it from going highway speeds. But, remove the heavy equipment and it performs acceptably again.

There are few analogies in consumer products of a product that can have something new installed that reduces usability without being able to get the usability back by removing what was installed.
    01-09-2016 09:47 PM
    That never happens (at least at anywhere near the scale) with cars. So, not legit.

The better analogy is imagining an older model car that could drive highway speeds that added equipment that weighed so much that it prevented it from going highway speeds. But, remove the heavy equipment and it performs acceptably again.

There are few analogies in consumer products of a product that can have something new installed that reduces usability without being able to get the usability back by removing what was installed.
    Okay
    01-09-2016 09:52 PM
    Okay
    Whether the analogy is flawed or not is completely not the point. Apple told users that iOS9 was designed with older hardware in mind and promised an improved experience over iOS8. If that turns out not to be the case and indeed offers a worse experience (as it does), they have every right to be disappointed. To use your false analogy of cars, it's as though Apple said 'this upgrade will improve your cars performance positively' only for users to find that it doesn't!
    01-11-2016 03:15 AM
    Whether the analogy is flawed or not is completely not the point. Apple told users that iOS9 was designed with older hardware in mind and promised an improved experience over iOS8. If that turns out not to be the case and indeed offers a worse experience (as it does), they have every right to be disappointed. To use your false analogy of cars, it's as though Apple said 'this upgrade will improve your cars performance positively' only for users to find that it doesn't!
    But a user's experience is subjective and there are so many variations that could cause a negative experience, upgrade or not. There comes a point where users need to take a more active interest in how their iOS device works and operates. I have a friend who did upgrade and then proceeded to turn on every processor intensive setting they could find, then complained that he had no idea why his iPhone was running like crap.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    01-11-2016 08:48 AM
    But a user's experience is subjective and there are so many variations that could cause a negative experience, upgrade or not. There comes a point where users need to take a more active interest in how their iOS device works and operates. I have a friend who did upgrade and then proceeded to turn on every processor intensive setting they could find, then complained that he had no idea why his iPhone was running like crap.
    But not everyone is doing that. Some upgraded, didn't change any settings and found that it was running badly. The point is that they were told by Apple that it would run better than iOS8. They should realise that many of their users will be complete novices that won't understand about CPUs and RAM and will simply want a phone to work!
    01-13-2016 12:08 AM
    But not everyone is doing that. Some upgraded, didn't change any settings and found that it was running badly. The point is that they were told by Apple that it would run better than iOS8. They should realise that many of their users will be complete novices that won't understand about CPUs and RAM and will simply want a phone to work!
    Not everyone is buying a smartphone that is not an iPhone either.

Here is something to add a little controversy:

http://forums.imore.com/showthread.php?t=353518
    Last edited by scruffypig; 01-13-2016 at 11:33 PM.
    01-13-2016 12:10 AM
    Not everyone is buying a smartphone that is not an iPhone either.

Here is something to add a little controversy:

http://forums.imore.com/showthread.php?t=353518
    Huh?
    01-16-2016 06:24 AM
33 12