iOS 9.2 just released

Nabooy

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
If you're just going to upgrade from a previous iOS version, simply connect your device to your computer and make a backup via iTunes FIRST! Afterwards, go ahead and select to update your current iOS version. You will not have to restore anything afterwards.

You can also opt to do an OTA update.

With that in mind, if you plan to set up your device as new, go ahead and create a backup first, then put your device in DFU mode, connect it to your computer and then select restore via iTunes. It will install a fresh copy of iOS 9.2.
I actually would love to go for a fresh new iOS install after each update without backups. So I don't need to restore the device after or before at all for upgrades? Are you sure of that? Because I have seen some articles that says I gotta do a restore at some point.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I actually would love to go for a fresh new iOS install after each update without backups. So I don't need to restore the device after or before at all for upgrades? Are you sure of that? Because I have seen some articles that says I gotta do a restore at some point.

It's up to you. If you don't mind setting up the phone as if it's fresh out of the box each time, you don't need to restore. You'll have to load your apps, settings, accounts, etc. If you use iCloud, and depending on how you have them set, a lot of that info should come back (contacts, photos, etc.) Restore would put all that back for you as if it was the same device before you updated, but sometimes it can bring a nagging issue back (if you had one to begin with). I've not run into those kinds of things, but YMMV.

Nabooy

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
It's up to you. If you don't mind setting up the phone as if it's fresh out of the box each time, you don't need to restore. You'll have to load your apps, settings, accounts, etc. If you use iCloud, and depending on how you have them set, a lot of that info should come back (contacts, photos, etc.) Restore would put all that back for you as if it was the same device before you updated, but sometimes it can bring a nagging issue back (if you had one to begin with). I've not run into those kinds of things, but YMMV.
I think you got the wrong conclusion here. What I actually meant by restore is reverting/formatting the phone to how it was before fresh like out of the box as you said. You may have confused yourself with restoring from a backup file.

how-to-update-ios-itunes-01.jpg

If you take a closely look there's a "Restore iPhone" next to the circled "Update" button in the image above, that is the restore process that I do for every update. My question is, when would I have to do that? Before the update or later when it's done?

anon(5719825)

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
I have a 6+ and a 5S that are on 9.0.2 and are Jailbroken so no I will not be upgrading.

I have a 6S+ that is being delivered before 10:30 this morning from Apple. Depending on what the iOS version is, I will likely jailbreak it as well unless it's on 9.1 or above.

Grabber5.0

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Doubtful. iOS 9 has already slowed down my 5 enough. I wish I hadn't updated it. When I send an email, it takes 5-10 seconds for results to show up when I start typing a name in the to field.

jlzimmerman

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
After the upgrade, my iPhone will not connect to a call, whether it is received or sent from the phone. Also, there is no sound from videos or apps like youtube. I'll have to try a headset when I can actually get one on me to see if that is working.

danart

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Just updated to ios 9.2. Contact photos in message app disappeared. How do i bring them back ?

Later edit: Nevermind.....had to remove and re-add mail account.

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
After the upgrade, my iPhone will not connect to a call, whether it is received or sent from the phone. Also, there is no sound from videos or apps like youtube. I'll have to try a headset when I can actually get one on me to see if that is working.

Be sure volume is turned up in all 3 places. Side button, pull up control center, and in Settings > Sounds.

Rafagon

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
I spent over 24 hours wondering why AT&T NumberSync was only allowing my iMac to make a phone call with the phone being powered ON and being on the same Wi-Fi network (it should work even with the iPhone powered off).

Apple's support documentation, even the iOS 9.2 screen itself, was stating that it should fully work on my iMac:

Wi-Fi Calling now available for other devices....jpg

Finally, a helpful user on another tech site pointed me in the right direction.

AT&T actually correctly listed all requirements for a Wi-Fi Call on another device to go through when the iPhone was powered off:

https://forums.imore.com/e?link=htt....att.com/esupport/article.html&token=KBLPrTqH

There is SO much more information in that document than in Apple's document: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203032

The five-device limit, the year model requirements for Macs? Apple mentioned none of that. Very disappointed in them.

I find it peculiar that I can make a video & audio phone call on my late 2009 iMac (using, for example, Skype), but I cannot make an audio-only Wi-Fi phone call via NumberSync. Is this an arbitrary limitation imposed by Apple? All that's happening under the hood is the routing of my audio data to a mobile netowrk via the Internet. The Mac itself isn't doing much work.

Lastly? can someone tell me how to change my embedded image into a thumbnail instead of full size? Thank you kindly :)

Ttrq2001

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the post and particularly the About NumberSync ATT document that you found. It is very helpful. Hopefully when Rene or Ren do one of their standard <doing something trivial with iOS or OS X for total dummies> articles on this they will incorporate what's in this doc.

Also, to your point about your 2009 iMac not supporting NumberSync, ATT's Mac and iOS hardware requirements appear to line up with Apple's "Continuity" requirements and your device doesn't support it. The forum won't let me post a link as I'm a lightweight but you can find Apple's requirements by doing a Google search for <mac handoff supported devices> and it will be the first URL returned.

BTW, NumberSyc is working fine for me across two Macs that support Continuity and an iPad plus my iPhone. Support for my Apple Watch is interesting...I want to try it out but usually I always have my iPhone with me and if I don't, connecting to a known wi-fi network will be the issue.

nr2d

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I installed iOS 9.2 on both my iPad air 2 and iPhone 6S. on both battery life seems just as good as it did with 9.0 and 9.1.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I think you got the wrong conclusion here. What I actually meant by restore is reverting/formatting the phone to how it was before fresh like out of the box as you said. You may have confused yourself with restoring from a backup file.

View attachment 99389

If you take a closely look there's a "Restore iPhone" next to the circled "Update" button in the image above, that is the restore process that I do for every update. My question is, when would I have to do that? Before the update or later when it's done?

Not quite sure what you're trying to do but if you want to make it fresh like out of the box and set everything up as new, use Restore which will erase everything and install the updated software.

If you want to leave your device the way it is but put the new software on it then use update.

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
After the update, unable to call or receive calls via iPad AIR or MacBook.
When on my iPhone 6s I try to enable "call on Other Devices" I get a message that FaceTime & iCloud must be signed in to with the same Apple ID. All of my devices including my MacBook are on the same Apple ID.
I can FaceTime on all devices & send & receive iMessages on all as well.
I HAVE A Verizon 6S
TIA

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Not quite sure what you're trying to do but if you want to make it fresh like out of the box and set everything up as new, use Restore which will erase everything and install the updated software.

If you want to leave your device the way it is but put the new software on it then use update.

I did a clean install/restore on my 5s. Everything is good.

DarkCutter

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
So right now I'm updating to iOS 9.2 on my iPhone 5S while I was doing the update this popped up a minute later iMoreAppImg_20151211_043318.jpg It's never popped up before but I thought that was pretty neat

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner