Facebook Background Usage???

razza1987

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Wtf is going on with Facebook background usage? It has NEVER been this bad before. It's now the most used app on my phone because of it and is draining my battery. Wtf...ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1449462214.468691.jpg

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
They've had a bug for a while. They tried to fix it, but only fixed part of it. I keep it swiped out of multitasking. I do that after each time I use the app. I've been using Friendly+ mostly. It works great for Facebook.

Miska Hietala

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Known problem which was "fixed". Before it was running double the amount in background.
Friendly is nice but sometimes it didn't show some status updates at all.

razza1987

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
I guess it's a good thing to know I'm not just the only one with this nonsense. My six plus went from 100-5% in less than seven hours with this nonsense. Are there any Facebook third party apps on iOS?ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1449475658.942103.jpgImageUploadedByiMore Forums1449475674.110281.jpg

razza1987

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
There is a couple like the one mentioned .. Have you tried deleting fb and reinstalling it ? That fixes the built up app size after a while also

I will definitely try doing that as this is the first time I have experienced this issue and it's only been since the latest "update". Fail on Facebooks part and so weird

razza1987

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Wtf is going on with imore now going to the blog section instead of the forum??? What happened to all the forum categories???

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

neurodave

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I reinstalled Facebook last week when I read the app had been update, but that was a huge mistake. I went from averaging about 9 hours of usage to 5 or 6, at best. This was literally in a matter of one days worth of use. When I went into the battery details lo and behold Facebook had skyrocketed to the top with 3 times as much background usage than on screen time. This is why background updates turned off on my iPhone. So clearly Facebook is circumventing any setting you may have and saying F you, I will run when and how I want. I went back to just logging in from Safari and calling it a day. It's a shame that such a huge corporation like Facebook can't get app development down.

nr2d

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
The one thing I found in the past is that I need to make sure I logout of FB when using the FA APP. Also I don't use the FB setting in in the Settings menu. I found that in both cases and even when I had back ground refresh turned off it was still updating. Also by using the FB settings I was still logged in even when I logged out in the APP. All this does right off is I need to type in my FB password each time I use the APP.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
The one thing I found in the past is that I need to make sure I logout of FB when using the FA APP. Also I don't use the FB setting in in the Settings menu. I found that in both cases and even when I had back ground refresh turned off it was still updating. Also by using the FB settings I was still logged in even when I logged out in the APP. All this does right off is I need to type in my FB password each time I use the APP.

If you log out, you're not still logged in. What makes you think you are?

nr2d

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I found that when I signed in from another device, iPad or computer, and I went to the security settings and what devices are logged in my device that I thought I had logged out on via the APP but still had the FB info filled in in settings I was still logged in. Also FB Messenger has no option to log out.

razza1987

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
It does have a free version. There's ads and no ad block feature though.
Friendly Social : login with multiple facebook, instagram or messenger accounts by Friendly App Studio
https://appsto.re/us/6QH2x.i

Thank you so much :) I will definitely try this out as the battery drain from Facebook is just ridiculous. I only managed 6 hours and 45 minutes off the charger on my six plus yesterday o.o

razza1987

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
I reinstalled Facebook last week when I read the app had been update, but that was a huge mistake. I went from averaging about 9 hours of usage to 5 or 6, at best. This was literally in a matter of one days worth of use. When I went into the battery details lo and behold Facebook had skyrocketed to the top with 3 times as much background usage than on screen time. This is why background updates turned off on my iPhone. So clearly Facebook is circumventing any setting you may have and saying F you, I will run when and how I want. I went back to just logging in from Safari and calling it a day. It's a shame that such a huge corporation like Facebook can't get app development down.

I have my phone on low power mode so therefore background app refresh is COMPLETELY switched off and it is still doing this nonsense. It's ridiculous. 1.8 hours screen on time and 2.2 hours background in the last 24 hours. I'm getting fed up of this nonsense ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1449875933.171361.jpg

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I have my phone on low power mode so therefore background app refresh is COMPLETELY switched off and it is still doing this nonsense. It's ridiculous. 1.8 hours screen on time and 2.2 hours background in the last 24 hours. I'm getting fed up of this nonsense View attachment 99480

Turning off background App Refresh is not what you need to do. It's there to help. Apps that run in the background do so with or without Background App Refresh being on. The problem is apps like Facebook that hang out in the background too long. Most apps don't stay in the background but a very short time. That's normal and doesn't use a lot of battery. Refresh was put in place by Apple when iOS 7 began. It's to help apps in the background to be more efficient. Turning it off only hurts. I have a small number of apps that stay in the background too long. I try to keep those swiped out of multitasking when I'm done with them. But I don't swipe all apps out. Not necessary. You probably only have 2 or 3 problem apps. What is your usage time?

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods