Hey guys just came over from Android, not sure if the default mail app can do this or not. I have some email accounts attached to my websites that I normally download permanently via Outlook on my PC with the accounts set up as POP3 accounts. I usually add the main one to my phone(s) so I can see what's going on during the day. On my Android phones, whenever I would download the messages off the server with Outlook on my PC (i.e. it deletes the server copy) the mail app on my phone would also remove the messages from the inbox.

I can't get Mail on my new iPhone to do that however. I've set the email up as both POP3 and tried the supposedly better IMAP configuration. After downloading my messages with Outlook then sending a test email to the account (Android would not actually refresh after the download until a new email came in, thought maybe it was the same here) I still have all the messages on my phone that were just removed from the server, plus the new test message.

I can't find any setting that should make this work. Am I missing something? Or do I have to just go through an extra step now and delete the messages off my phone after downloading them off the server with my PC?
    10-24-2015 05:30 AM
    I do not know, but hopefully, someone who has a similar configuration will reply soon. Having said that, have you tried installing the Outlook for iOS app? It may benefit you better in this regard.
    10-24-2015 08:09 AM
    Hey guys just came over from Android, not sure if the default mail app can do this or not. I have some email accounts attached to my websites that I normally download permanently via Outlook on my PC with the accounts set up as POP3 accounts. I usually add the main one to my phone(s) so I can see what's going on during the day. On my Android phones, whenever I would download the messages off the server with Outlook on my PC (i.e. it deletes the server copy) the mail app on my phone would also remove the messages from the inbox.
    POP3 mail does not do that, the protocol does not provide or support that behavior. IMAP does.
    10-24-2015 08:26 AM
    Well, looks like I was wrong and it IS working correctly. Apparently it just takes it a few minutes to realize the mail is gone from my mail server (maybe something with my mail server itself). I assume pulling down on the inbox and getting the little spinning graphic means it's hitting the server to check for mail at least. Either way I guess I was just impatient yesterday when I thought it was a problem and posted this. It does eventually removed the messages once I've downloaded them on my PC with Outlook which is set to remove messages from the server.
    10-25-2015 12:52 AM