Location services always on

pttptppt

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
iOS 9.1 official update and location services are always on. I on iOS 9, I didn't have this problem. And it seems to turn on whenever I have wifi off

linsiris

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi

Well, that's usually the weather app doing that (in my case, most of the times) but that's easy to fix. Just go to settings --> privacy --> location services and check the list of apps that requires or have this setting on. Turn off those you don't want or need to know your location. It's a matter of preference.

Good luck :)

pttptppt

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi

Well, that's usually the weather app doing that (in my case, most of the times) but that's easy to fix. Just go to settings --> privacy --> location services and check the list of apps that requires or have this setting on. Turn off those you don't want or need to know your location. It's a matter of preference.

Good luck :)

I did and thanks. I still have this problem and it shows up even when I have airplane mode on

pttptppt

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
What turns on? Location services turns on by itself? For what? All apps? What, exactly, is happening?

Like I see the icon in the status bar which means that something is draining battery.

Also, I always close apps after using them by swiping up so I don't know what's using location services

linsiris

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Dear, you have to check the list of apps carefully, because one of those apps has the "always" which means "always on".

What happens if you turn location services off altogether?
Does the icon dissapear? Does it not?

pttptppt

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Dear, you have to check the list of apps carefully, because one of those apps has the "always" which means "always on".

What happens if you turn location services off altogether?
Does the icon dissapear? Does it not?

I already checked and none of them are on 'always'. And I haven't tried turning it off completely since I need it once in a while for gps

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
I already checked and none of them are on 'always'. And I haven't tried turning it off completely since I need it once in a while for gps

When you go to system/Location Services, scroll all the way down to System Services and check what is running there. As far as GPS for Apple's map app, I have mine set to "While Using App", so it isn't always using it.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I have 2 apps I allow to be set on Always in location services. BeWeather 2 and Life360.
Note: Just because the location icon is in your status bar and GPS is being used doesn't necessarily mean the battery is draining. It depends on which app or service and what it does.

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Just because the location icon is in your status bar and GPS is being used doesn't necessarily mean the battery is draining. It depends on which app or service and what it does.
I have always seen large power consumption when using the GPS.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I have always seen large power consumption when using the GPS.

That's probably true with most things, especially if it constantly searches for the GPS signal. BeWeather doesn't do that. I rarely see the location icon with BeWeather. Life360 is new. It seems to use GPS non stop. So I'll keep it disabled a good bit, especially at night.

truenorthstrong

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
Aren't you afraid that apps like BeWeather know exactly where you live. Scary. If you look at the map it knows exactly which house on the street you are in and which side of the house.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Aren't you afraid that apps like BeWeather know exactly where you live. Scary. If you look at the map it knows exactly which house on the street you are in and which side of the house.

LOL, that's what I want it to show. And, no, it doesn't bother me a bit. Besides, it's GPS. I doubt the developer can see it. His GPS would pick up his location, not mine.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Don't know if it will help, but after seeing this post I noticed the same on my phone. After going through the list of what had access "only in app" vs. "always" when I switched the Google app to "only in app" the icon disappeared. I'm not sure if I'll leave it like that or not since it will have some sort of impact on the Now cards, but I'm not sure how much.

pttptppt

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
As I already said several times, all my settings are turned to 'off' or 'only when using the app'. So that's not the problem

truenorthstrong

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
LOL, that's what I want it to show. And, no, it doesn't bother me a bit. Besides, it's GPS. I doubt the developer can see it. His GPS would pick up his location, not mine.

So you are saying when we have location services on for Apps the developers don't know where we are located? What about Apps that track restaurants, places etc Don't they have access to our Apps and our location where they can feed us advertising based on location?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
So you are saying when we have location services on for Apps the developers don't know where we are located? What about Apps that track restaurants, places etc Don't they have access to our Apps and our location where they can feed us advertising based on location?

It's a signal they get. They're not looking at Google maps street view of your house. Besides, I trust these app developers anyways. They work hard to offer the services and apps they do. And if they were to get out of line, Apple would deal with them harshly. Apple is not going to allow that sort of behavior. I trust SwiftKey keyboard too. And all the apps that we give permission to access our microphone and photos. Name me an incident where something bad happened because an app had someone's location. Just one.

JaneGL

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site

I would. You can't rely on a 3rd party app developer to behave in their coding like you can with the OS itself. I leave the master switch off until I intend to actually use it.

linsiris

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

I understand that you need it on, but just turn it off altogether, do it right now, to see if the icon dissapear or not. That will help to narrow down the issue.

Turn location services off, wait a couple of mins and see what happens. Then let us know.

Also, have you checked the "frequent locations" option under "system service" or the location sharing with someone on iMessage?

sangs

Trusted Member
Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
That's probably true with most things, especially if it constantly searches for the GPS signal. BeWeather doesn't do that. I rarely see the location icon with BeWeather. Life360 is new. It seems to use GPS non stop. So I'll keep it disabled a good bit, especially at night.

Thanks for giving me the heads up about this BeWeather 2 app. I love it and have deleted all other weather apps from my 6S+. (If only I could delete the Apple weather app. :mad:)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711