"Restoring from iCloud backup" still going 8 hours later??

mfm77

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Because of some issues with my iPhone 6, I decided to wipe it clean and restore my data from my iCloud backup. It took awhile to wipe, but I soon was able to start the restoration process. That was 8 hours ago, though, and it's *still* restoring. That's not normal, is it? Any ideas what I can do? My battery is dropping quicker as a result of the stuck restore; ironically, I did all of this to try & fix the battery issues I was having.

dchandler

Sep 11, 2009
Visit site
Yeah something isn't right here, it shouldn't take 8 hours to restore not unless your internet is really slow. Trying hooking your iPhone up to iTunes and doing a restore again. Hopefully that will help.

Sent from my Super iPhone 6s Plus using Tapatalk

mfm77

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Yeah something isn't right here, it shouldn't take 8 hours to restore not unless your internet is really slow. Trying hooking your iPhone up to iTunes and doing a restore again. Hopefully that will help.

I would, except...my Mac just crashed, as in 2 minutes ago. Fantastic.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Ouch! I was going to say just start the process over again. If it's been eight hours I have a feeling it's just stuck somewhere in the process and will never get to the end regardless of how much time you give it. Apparently your Mac made that decision for you though! Is your iPhone 6 still under warranty? I would take it into an Apple Store and tell them it won't restore. It's technically broken at this point.

Sent from my iPhone 6s Plus using Tapatalk

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
"Restoring from iCloud backup" still going 8 hours later??

Just stop the restore. Go to iCloud under settings on your phone, then backup. Hit stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mfm77

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Re: "Restoring from iCloud backup" still going 8 hours later??

Wow your having all the luck this morning

Seriously. If I owned a dog, someone probably would kick it.

Just stop the restore. Go to iCloud under settings on your phone, then backup. Hit stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would I then do a new iCloud backup?

I made a Genius bar appointment for tomorrow, but I'm hoping that my tech guy at work can find something before then.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Seriously. If I owned a dog, someone probably would kick it.

Would I then do a new iCloud backup?

I made a Genius bar appointment for tomorrow, but I'm hoping that my tech guy at work can find something before then.

When was your last iCloud back up? I always use iCloud to restore unless I restore as new.

mfm77

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site

When was your last iCloud back up? I always use iCloud to restore unless I restore as new.

I backed up last night before attempting the wipe and restore. I have a work computer (Windows, but still okay) and might try to restore using iTunes.

mfm77

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site

I did another wipe/restore today, but this time, I backed up and restored via iTunes. I then created a new iCloud backup, so hopefully that will do the trick.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

I did another wipe/restore today, but this time, I backed up and restored via iTunes. I then created a new iCloud backup, so hopefully that will do the trick.
Fingers crossed for you. Let us know how it turns out!

Sent from my iPhone 6s Plus using Tapatalk

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site

It's not uncommon for an iCloud restore to get "stuck" -- it's happen to me. Usually a reboot (or two) kicks it in the pants and gets it going again. I've also stopped the restore process when it got to the app stage and just downloaded those manually from my store history.

lorane

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
I was having the same problem with my new iphone 6S. I was not able to download the new 9.1 update because of this.

The tip to go into Settings - Icloud - Backup and stop restoring worked for me.

Thanks!

shamsia

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
Apple Store swapped out my iPhone 6 for a new device and instructed me to restore from iCloud backup AFTER updating to iOS 9, I started the restore at 615pm EST - it's now 1115 EST - 5hrs and still restoring......
Tech dude suggested to NOT restore from iTunes on MacBook via cable as he suggests that backup is corrupted or has some bug that caused the initial problems on original iPhone 6......

mauroe

Jul 13, 2016
Visit site
I had the same issue and solved it going through iTunes but needed to use a more complex solution path

- Download in iTunes ALL apps locally in iTunes (starting from iOS 9 this must be done manually) -> Account->Store->App->download all
- then backup the old iPhone in Itunes locally
- then reset the new iPhone using iTunes and install the latest software update (connect iPhone to iTunes and click on reset)
- then restore the new iPhone from the old backup using iTunes and let it synchronize all apps
- manually install the few apps which are still missing

Hope it helps

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro