Really love my new Macbook, its so thin and light I find I'm taking it out more places with me, and using my phone for a hotspot, Im just an average user and find it is more than enough for what I do .... However why is airdrop so annoying??? My iPhone 6 seems unable to ever find my macbook even when they are an inch apart and I'm shouting at it hahaha. I just plug it in with a cord now if I need to! Kinda defeats the idea .... Just wanted to rant lol
    10-16-2015 10:12 AM
    I use Airdrop all the time. From my rMBP to my iPhones, and iPads. Just make sure Airdrop is either set to everyone or contacts and that you have a contact set for yourself.
    10-16-2015 10:21 AM
    Also need to make sure Bluetooth is turned on both your MacBook and iPhone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    10-16-2015 10:23 AM
    Yep it's all def on and set up as it should, seems to work between iPhones fine just MacBook can be abit hit and miss! Just annoying really
    10-16-2015 01:01 PM
    I use Airdrop all the time. From my rMBP to my iPhones, and iPads. Just make sure Airdrop is either set to everyone or contacts and that you have a contact set for yourself.
    Do you have El Capitan installed? I used to use airdrop ALL the time on Yosemite because I had to airdrop edited pictures from my Mac to my iPhone. Now my mac has never found my iPhone since upgrading. A quick google search reveals others with the same issue on El Capitan.
    10-18-2015 11:14 AM
    Air drop not working ios9. Any tips please
    10-18-2015 09:47 PM
    Hello! I've been able to get it working again just by turning it on an off again in control center. If that doesn't work try hard resetting your device by holding down both the power button and home button until you see the Apple boot logo.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any further questions or if the above steps don't fix the problem!
    10-18-2015 09:52 PM
    Tried all of that nothing worked
    10-18-2015 09:58 PM
    Tried all of that nothing worked
    How are you trying to use Airdrop (i.e. trying to send something to someone else, trying to send something to another one of your devices)?
    10-18-2015 10:01 PM
    Trying to send between my phone & Macbook and also between my old and new phone
    10-18-2015 10:06 PM
    The phones and Mac are opened and not in standby when attempting the transfer? When I airdrop with my wife's iphone she has to have the it open before her icon will show on my iphone.
    Rob Phillips likes this.
    10-18-2015 11:16 PM
    Air drop not working ios9. Any tips please
    Another thing to note. Make sure that your air drop on both Mac and iPhone is set to everyone and not to contacts only. This sometimes help. it's worth a try.

Also, make sure Bluetooth is turned on both devices. I'm sure you already know this but sometimes we forget that Bluetooth on Mac is turned off. I do that all the time. Just remember that airdrop uses Bluetooth and wifi to make it work. Bluetooth to pair and locate the device, wifi direct is for transferring files.
    10-18-2015 11:29 PM
    All devices are open and Bluetooth enabled in all of them. Yet does not work
    10-19-2015 12:28 AM
    Are you close enough to the wifi router you are connected to? Good luck I don't have anything more. Maybe hardware problem???
    10-19-2015 05:58 AM
    Well, on second thought I guess it doesn't work on wifi. Or does it, I don't know.
    10-19-2015 06:05 AM
    Well, on second thought I guess it doesn't work on wifi. Or does it, I don't know.
    AirDrop uses Bluetooth to locate compatible devices and creates its own P2P network for the file transfer. So, yes it does use wifi but it does not have anything to do with the wifi network set up in the home.

Sent from my iPhone 6s Plus using Tapatalk
    knotsure likes this.
    10-19-2015 06:22 AM
    Since I've upgraded to El Capitan, I've been having the same issue. My Mac won't find my iPhone AT ALL. If you Google it, theres tons of forums on Apple's help forums with people having the same issue. I think its a OS X issue, as my iPhone can find iPads with no issue. My Macbook can't find anything. Kinda frustrating as I used this feature a whole lot.
    10-20-2015 04:20 PM
    This is an issue I am NOT having. I am all up to date and airdrop is working ok for me and the wife. My MacBook is running El Capitan and airdrop is working fine with my 6s and my wife's 6s. Pops up pretty quick and transfers just fine.
    shief24 likes this.
    10-20-2015 09:05 PM
    This is an issue I am NOT having. I am all up to date and airdrop is working ok for me and the wife. My MacBook is running El Capitan and airdrop is working fine with my 6s and my wife's 6s. Pops up pretty quick and transfers just fine.
    Guess I gotta make an appointment soon. Airdrop is highly necessary for me.
    knotsure likes this.
    10-21-2015 01:43 AM
    Does the iPhone screen need to be on for the duration of the transfer?

Posted via the iMore App for Android
    10-21-2015 07:49 AM
    Air drop still not working for me tried everything
    10-21-2015 09:13 AM
    Does the iPhone screen need to be on for the duration of the transfer?

Posted via the iMore App for Android
    Phone needs to be awake to accept the airdrop transfer and create a secure connection to the other device. After the transfer is accepted you can let the phone be. It will handle things for you at that point.

Sent from my iPhone 6s Plus using Tapatalk
    10-21-2015 09:44 AM
    Air drop was working fine for me till I upgraded to iOS 9 and El Capitan
    shief24 and rayporsche like this.
    10-21-2015 10:22 PM
    Really love my new Macbook, its so thin and light I find I'm taking it out more places with me, and using my phone for a hotspot, Im just an average user and find it is more than enough for what I do .... However why is airdrop so annoying??? My iPhone 6 seems unable to ever find my macbook even when they are an inch apart and I'm shouting at it hahaha. I just plug it in with a cord now if I need to! Kinda defeats the idea .... Just wanted to rant lol
    Okay everyone. I've gotten it to work. So I guess El Capitan corrupts the bluetooth file in Macs for some users. So the way to fix it is by deleting that file. 1. Turn bluetooth off. 2. Go to finder and press CMD+shift+G 3. type in /library/preferences 4. delete com.bluetooth.plist. After this restart your comp and then turn bluetooth back on. I did it and I was able to get my mac to see my iPhone again. I didn't truly appreciate airdrop until I lost it for a month.
    bones467 and rayporsche like this.
    10-24-2015 02:37 PM
    Okay everyone. I've gotten it to work. So I guess El Capitan corrupts the bluetooth file in Macs for some users. So the way to fix it is by deleting that file. 1. Turn bluetooth off. 2. Go to finder and press CMD+shift+G 3. type in /library/preferences 4. delete com.bluetooth.plist. After this restart your comp and then turn bluetooth back on. I did it and I was able to get my mac to see my iPhone again. I didn't truly appreciate airdrop until I lost it for a month.

Thanks a lot for that!! Airdrop now works!!!
    shief24 likes this.
    10-25-2015 03:21 AM
28 12