Airdrop

bones467

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Really love my new Macbook, its so thin and light I find I'm taking it out more places with me, and using my phone for a hotspot, Im just an average user and find it is more than enough for what I do .... However why is airdrop so annoying??? My iPhone 6 seems unable to ever find my macbook even when they are an inch apart and I'm shouting at it hahaha. I just plug it in with a cord now if I need to! Kinda defeats the idea .... Just wanted to rant lol

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I use Airdrop all the time. From my rMBP to my iPhones, and iPads. Just make sure Airdrop is either set to everyone or contacts and that you have a contact set for yourself.

bones467

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Yep it's all def on and set up as it should, seems to work between iPhones fine just MacBook can be abit hit and miss! Just annoying really

shief24

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
I use Airdrop all the time. From my rMBP to my iPhones, and iPads. Just make sure Airdrop is either set to everyone or contacts and that you have a contact set for yourself.

Do you have El Capitan installed? I used to use airdrop ALL the time on Yosemite because I had to airdrop edited pictures from my Mac to my iPhone. Now my mac has never found my iPhone since upgrading. A quick google search reveals others with the same issue on El Capitan.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: Air Drop

Hello! I've been able to get it working again just by turning it on an off again in control center. If that doesn't work try hard resetting your device by holding down both the power button and home button until you see the Apple boot logo.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any further questions or if the above steps don't fix the problem!

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site

The phones and Mac are opened and not in standby when attempting the transfer? When I airdrop with my wife's iphone she has to have the it open before her icon will show on my iphone.

EagleFox007

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site

Air drop not working ios9. Any tips please

Another thing to note. Make sure that your air drop on both Mac and iPhone is set to everyone and not to contacts only. This sometimes help. it's worth a try.

Also, make sure Bluetooth is turned on both devices. I'm sure you already know this but sometimes we forget that Bluetooth on Mac is turned off. I do that all the time. Just remember that airdrop uses Bluetooth and wifi to make it work. Bluetooth to pair and locate the device, wifi direct is for transferring files.

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site

Are you close enough to the wifi router you are connected to? Good luck I don't have anything more. Maybe hardware problem???

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

Well, on second thought I guess it doesn't work on wifi. Or does it, I don't know.

AirDrop uses Bluetooth to locate compatible devices and creates its own P2P network for the file transfer. So, yes it does use wifi but it does not have anything to do with the wifi network set up in the home.

Sent from my iPhone 6s Plus using Tapatalk

shief24

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site

Since I've upgraded to El Capitan, I've been having the same issue. My Mac won't find my iPhone AT ALL. If you Google it, theres tons of forums on Apple's help forums with people having the same issue. I think its a OS X issue, as my iPhone can find iPads with no issue. My Macbook can't find anything. Kinda frustrating as I used this feature a whole lot.

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site

This is an issue I am NOT having. I am all up to date and airdrop is working ok for me and the wife. My MacBook is running El Capitan and airdrop is working fine with my 6s and my wife's 6s. Pops up pretty quick and transfers just fine.

shief24

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site

This is an issue I am NOT having. I am all up to date and airdrop is working ok for me and the wife. My MacBook is running El Capitan and airdrop is working fine with my 6s and my wife's 6s. Pops up pretty quick and transfers just fine.

Guess I gotta make an appointment soon. Airdrop is highly necessary for me.

xderiwx

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site

Does the iPhone screen need to be on for the duration of the transfer?

Posted via the iMore App for Android

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobaeit