I WAS planning on moving to iphone next month, but may not if my 1 and 1 imap work email won't push. I just got an ipad, was looking forward to having it and an iphone. I set up my email accounts and even though they are imap, they only 'fetch' every 15 minutes. My work imap is instant push on my PC, on my Android and on my blackberry, but on my ipad I have to wait 15 minutes for it to fetch. Is there anything I can try?

I have IOS 9.02
    All mail is set to icloud, is that right?
    "fetch new data" is set to push (but.....)
    But if you click on that "fetch new data" line, so it shows all the individual accounts, only icloud has the push option, all others only have fetch or manual as an option

This is really unacceptable in late 2015, I've had true push on my blackberries and androids with this same account since 2010.
    10-15-2015 01:08 PM
    iPhone supports true push email.
    It does not support the IMAP IDLE protocol, which is not "true push", and is mostly regarded as garbage.
    IMAP push is not a widely used protocol since most providers use their own implementation of it (Apple uses it for their iCloud mail).
    There are apps available that support IMAP IDLE if you insist on using it, Microsoft Outlook being the first that comes to mind.
    Spark by Readdle is another option.
    Last edited by mikeo007; 10-15-2015 at 01:49 PM.
    10-15-2015 01:35 PM
    Spark works well with IMAP Idle
    10-15-2015 01:50 PM
    Ah ok, thats what it is. Not sure why ppl would consider it 'garbage', it's always worked fast and perfect, apple should support that. I'll test out the other clients on my ipad, see if they can work as good as my blackbeey and android before I switch to iphone, thanks!
    Its not that I insist on using it, it's that I dont want to have to keep refreshing my email account when I'm expecting an important work email. Hopefully Apple will catch up and fix this someday.
    10-15-2015 01:54 PM
    Its considered garbage because of how it achieves "instant push". IMAP IDLE is a constant connection to the server, which means your phone is always keeping a network connection open, wasting resources the entire time except for the few seconds when a new email comes in.

It's like leaving your garden hose constantly running so that when you need water, it's already there for you. Meanwhile all the excess water is wasted.

Apps like Spark actually circumvent this problem by having their servers keep the IMAP connection open and send a Push message using Apple's much more efficient push system.
    John Yester likes this.
    10-15-2015 01:57 PM
    Downloading spark. cloud magic
    If my garden hose took 15 minutes to turn on, I just might leave it running.

I just need my emails fast, not worried about efficiency, I want performance. I want a jet, not a biplane.
    (I googled this, man there are kabillions of complaints about this. )

OK, cloud magic works, it instantly pushes, will test, if it's consistent, an iphone might be on my list next month.
    Last edited by ronpfid; 10-15-2015 at 02:28 PM.
    10-15-2015 02:08 PM
    Found a good way to do it, if anyone else comes across this.
    Cloud magic has almost instant notifications, but it's actual email program is awkward
    Apples email is 15 minutes to fetch but it's interface is great
    What I did:
    Set cloud magic up, turned on it's notifications etc , but put it's icon off in a spare folder. Also have the built in email setup but set for no notifications. But, use the built in program to actually read and manage my emails. Just using cloud magic basically as a fast notifier.
    10-16-2015 11:50 AM
    Stumbled on this thread because I'm in a similar situation to ronpfid, planning on replacing my current phone with an iPhone.

iPhone supports true push email.
    It does not support the IMAP IDLE protocol, which is not "true push", and is mostly regarded as garbage.
    Regarded as garbage in what circles? I've never heard that. It works perfectly well for my email client at work, and on my BlackBerry.

It's like leaving your garden hose constantly running so that when you need water, it's already there for you.
    It transmits a packet or two every 10-15 minutes and avoids the repeated SSL session setup of periodic polling. It's more like having an automatic irrigation system instead of having to drag your hose out every time you need to water your garden.
    xandros9 likes this.
    11-29-2015 03:07 AM
    Regarded as garbage in what circles? I've never heard that. It works perfectly well for my email client at work, and on my BlackBerry.
    By most who have used an alternate technology. It's an un-refined solution when other options aren't available.

It transmits a packet or two every 10-15 minutes and avoids the repeated SSL session setup of periodic polling. It's more like having an automatic irrigation system instead of having to drag your hose out every time you need to water your garden.
    And keeps the connection open all the time, for every folder that you're syncing. It's not about the amount of data being transferred, it's the fact that there's literally an idle connection sitting there at all times. If you don't like the garden hose analogy, then think of it like leaving a phone off the hook while connected to a friend's house just in case they need to talk to you.

It's a waste of resources on a mobile device. Like anything, it will get better with time.
    But at this point it's inferior to other push options like Apple's iCloud push messages and Google's cloud messaging.
    Last edited by mikeo007; 12-02-2015 at 12:03 PM.
    12-02-2015 11:45 AM