What is considered "restore as new" in iOS?

Morac

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
I have a problem with my iPhone 6s Plus and was told by Apple support to restore and not restore from backup. I did that. I spent the entire day setting the phone back up again. I did plug the phone into iTunes, but did not restore from backup. I just synced some ring tones and apps.

I had a Genius appointment and when they ran a diagnostic on my phone, the test came back and said I restored from backup despite me not doing so. Two genius people said simply by connecting my iPhone to iTunes, it automatically restores backup data when doing a sync. WTF? That's the first I've ever heard of that and it makes absolutely no sense. If you restore as new you can never connect the phone to iTunes again?

He also said that by syncing with iTunes, you can corrupt the software and firmware on the phone. Does that make any sense at all?

When Apple asks you to restore as new, do they really expect you to do a DFU restore and then never use it?

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I have a problem with my iPhone 6s Plus and was told by Apple support to restore and not restore from backup. I did that. I spent the entire day setting the phone back up again. I did plug the phone into iTunes, but did not restore from backup. I just synced some ring tones and apps.

I had a Genius appointment and when they ran a diagnostic on my phone, the test came back and said I restored from backup despite me not doing so. Two genius people said simply by connecting my iPhone to iTunes, it automatically restores backup data when doing a sync. WTF? That's the first I've ever heard of that and it makes absolutely no sense. If you restore as new you can never connect the phone to iTunes again?

He also said that by syncing with iTunes, you can corrupt the software and firmware on the phone. Does that make any sense at all?

When Apple asks you to restore as new, do they really expect you to do a DFU restore and then never use it?

I would assume they mean just doing a restore through iTunes and once it restores unplug from your computer and then do set up as new from the phone itself. You can still sign into iCloud after setting up as new and it shouldn't say that you restored from a backup.

Pecked out on my 6S Plus keyboard.

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Do a "restore" by plugging into iTunes and clicking that button. Allow it to download and install a new copy of iOS, which will wipe the device clean. When done, select the option to set up as new and finish the initial config from the phone including connecting to your Apple/iCloud account and email/calendar accounts.

Then, and only then, reinstall your apps and sync your data. Do not restore from a backup.

Morac

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
Do a "restore" by plugging into iTunes and clicking that button. Allow it to download and install a new copy of iOS, which will wipe the device clean. When done, select the option to set up as new and finish the initial config from the phone including connecting to your Apple/iCloud account and email/calendar accounts.

Then, and only then, reinstall your apps and sync your data. Do not restore from a backup.

That's exactly what I did, but the Genius people said their diagnostic showed I restored from backup.

They said I should have disconnected from the computer right after the restore completed. They said leaving the phone connected to the computer counts as restoring from a backup.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
If you synced apps and stuff, then you restored from a back up. As new means just like a new first iPhone. You will need to download ALL your apps from the App Store.

Morac

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site

If you synced apps and stuff, then you restored from a back up. As new means just like a new first iPhone. You will need to download ALL your apps from the App Store.

I manually installed the apps using iTunes sync just like I would a new phone, they didn't sync automatically. I simply used iTunes since I had downloaded the apps to iTunes first and didn't feel like downloading several GB worth of apps. Plus it's a lot easier to configure the home screen using iTunes than it is on the device itself.

I don't understand how you aren't allowed to use iTunes if you set up as new. I went through the initial setup process on the phone, once it completed that's when I synced apps via iTunes.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Re: What is considered "restore as new" in iOS?

I manually installed the apps using iTunes sync, they didn't sync automatically. I simply used iTunes since I had downloaded the apps to iTunes first and didn't feel like downloading several GB worth of apps. Plus it's a lot easier to configure the home screen using iTunes than it is on the device itself.

Oh, I see. Why did they think you used a back up?

Morac

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site

Oh, I see. Why did they think you used a back up?

Because that's what their diagnostics software said the phone reported. It had a "last restore" date and time under a "restore from backup" section that matched the date and time I did the restore at.

Personally I don't understand why that would make a difference anyway since the problem I'm having is with Bluetooth and 2.4 Ghz Wifi randomly stopping working until I toggle Bluetooth off and on. I don't see how restoring apps could cause that problem. They said restoring app data can corrupt firmware. They also said installing my workplace's enterprise profile could do the same.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Because that's what their diagnostics software said the phone reported. It had a "last restore" date and time under a "restore from backup" section that matched the date and time I did the restore at.

Personally I don't understand why that would make a difference anyway since the problem I'm having is with Bluetooth and 2.4 Ghz Wifi randomly stopping working until I toggle Bluetooth off and on. I don't see how restoring apps could cause that problem. They said restoring app data can corrupt firmware. They also said installing my workplace's enterprise profile could do the same.

You think syncing apps made it show that way?

Morac

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site

You think syncing apps made it show that way?

I just remembered what might be causing this. I used the iMazing program to "restore" some app data. It does that by creating a mock backup containing only the app data and nothing else and doing a restore of only that data. The phone must have tagged that as a restore from backup even though only one app's data was restored and I ended up deleting that app anyway.

Well at least that explains things. It doesn't explain all the other nonsense they were telling me about syncing apps causing software and firmware corruption.

Gtech21

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site

Great advice and then install/download your apps from the 'App Store' off your phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Morac

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
Bluetooth and 2.4 Ghz wifi periodically stop working until I toggle Bluetooth off and on.

Restoring as new did not fix it.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Those geniuses are stupid. Firmware can't be corrupted by an enterprise certificate or installing something from iTunes. Firmware is a hardware write process that apps can't touch. It's like updating a BIOS on a PC. Windows can't write to it by installing anything.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox