Is it worth it to setup a new iPhone as new?

speedmaster

Jul 13, 2015
Visit site
Is it worth it to setup a new iPhone as "new"? ...

Since the 4S I've gotten a new iPhone every year, and have restored my new phone from the latest iCloud backup.

Coming from many years in the Windows world I'm aware of how helpful it can be to reinstall Windows OS every year or so. On Windows (and I guess to a lesser extent, OS X), when you uninstall an app the system is never quite the same as before it was installed. Preferences files hang around, system extensions don't get removed, various other files never get removed. On Windows there are numerous registry entries, etc.

Is this the same as iOS? Since I haven't setup a new iPhone as "new" in several years, is my current 6S Plus rife with "cruft?" Or does iOS really keep itself clean? Is it worth starting from scratch on this phone?

Thanks in advance

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: Is it worth it to setup a new a new phone as "new"? ...

To answer the thread question, the answer is yes, in my opinion.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Re: Is it worth it to setup a new iPhone as "new"? ...

I set up my new 6s Plus from the back up of my iPhone 5. I had problems. Several that I thought might send me 80 miles to switch for another phone. But I restored as new and it made a world of difference. It was a PITA to do for sure. But worth it.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site

I set my 6s+ up as new (no restore of backup at all) and had terrible battery life for over a week. Backed it up. Restored as new. Then restored backup. Battery seems to be back to normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site

I only do it with new phones. If I have a problem with my current device, I do not. Mainly because of how tedious it is. I would not install a backup from an old phone on a new one.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

To me it's not worth it unless I experience problems with performance or battery drain. Ain't nobody got time for that!

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site

For me, it's a yes. I have the habit of setting up all my devices as new. This is to allow me to choose what apps to put on my device, to prevent corrupt data or system glitches, and it helps me to get to know my phone. I've never restored a backup from any device, be it on an iPhone, Android, BlackBerry, etc. Old habits die hard I guess?

Sent from my iPad Mini 3 using Tapatalk. 🖖

steveh552

Trusted Member
Nov 23, 2012
Visit site

I think I am in the minority. When I went from my 5s to my 6 I restored a back up and when I went from my 6 to my 6s plus I restored and have had no issues. I have my phone set up the way I want with the apps, folders and such just how I like, no need to change things around for me. If I have an issue, then I consider restoring fresh.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

I think I am in the minority. When I went from my 5s to my 6 I restored a back up and when I went from my 6 to my 6s plus I restored and have had no issues. I have my phone set up the way I want with the apps, folders and such just how I like, no need to change things around for me. If I have an issue, then I consider restoring fresh.

I believe we are in the vast majority of iPhone users globally, although we are probably a minority around the iMore community. I'm with you though; I've never had an issue restoring from an iCloud or iTunes backup.

Sent from my iPhone 6s+ 128GB using Tapatalk

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

Not worth it in my case. I just don't have the time to set everything back to how I had it.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

To me it's not worth it unless I experience problems with performance or battery drain. Ain't nobody got time for that!

LOL...FUNNY.
Unless I'm having problems, I set up as "new", otherwise I restore from backup.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site

I always set them up as new. I feel like it's worth it to start fresh on a new device. All my contacts are synced to the cloud, and I have all my photos backed up elsewhere, I have a folder on my Mac of what will go back on my phone. I like to set everything up fresh, I can redownload all the apps and really consider if I am going to put everything back on the phone. I sync all my shows and movies back and think about which ones I want to put back on.

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site

I have always set up my yearly new iPhone as new, just seems to make sense to start fresh with a new iPhone and with cloud services it is pretty easy to get everything sync'd up again. However that stopped for me this year with the addition of the Apple Watch since the Watch backup is stored within the iPhone backup so if I were to start "as new" on the iPhone I would lose all my Watch activity data. All that being said, I restored my 6+ iTunes backup to my new 6s+ iPhone and it seems to be running just fine...

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site

I typically set up as new after each major update. I'll likely hold off on that for a while now though until I can figure out this error 54 I keep getting trying to transfer my purchases. Issues aside though, I strongly recommend doing a restore and setting up as new. Tried to get my wife to do that when she was experiencing issues with her 16gb 5 but she didn't want to lose any pics and she's iCloud averse. Smh She got her a 64gb 6 Saturday though so...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2