I'm starting to see a lot about issues with iOS9's wifi assist feature hijacking users' data plans without their knowledge. I'm curious to hear who is supporting the feature (aside from those still clinging on to unlimited data) and who has turned it off. What are your thoughts?
    Chrisy likes this.
    09-28-2015 09:40 PM
    I'll be leaving it on as I have unlimited data with T-Mobile but if I was still on AT&T then I would definitely turn it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    09-28-2015 09:42 PM
    I too have unlimited data. I am leaving it be. If I was concerned about going over I would turn it off

Sent from my iPhone 6
    09-28-2015 09:59 PM
    turned mine off
    Was having connections issues with wi-fi at my home and since turning it off the problems is gone.
    Good Luck
    09-28-2015 11:10 PM
    I just read about this and came here to verify.... and yes, I've turned it off.
    09-29-2015 10:35 AM
    WiFi must be really good where I am because I haven't used any of my usage with the setting on.
    09-29-2015 10:41 AM
    ...hijacking users' data plans without their knowledge...
    I must be in a minority that understands the consequences of enabling the feature...
    09-29-2015 11:05 AM
    I am leaving it on. I usually turn off wifi when I have poor service, so it makes more sense for my phone to automatically do it for me.

Bigeric23 and steveh552 like this.
    09-29-2015 12:05 PM
    My wifi signal is so strong at home that I've never even seen wifi assist do its thing. How does one tell when it's working?
    09-29-2015 12:18 PM
    My wifi signal is so strong at home that I've never even seen wifi assist do its thing. How does one tell when it's working?
    The icon in the status bar will change from the wifi to LTE.
    SprSynJn likes this.
    09-29-2015 03:56 PM
    Definitely Off...
    09-30-2015 04:43 PM
    Personally I think it's all FUD. what do I do when I have weak wifi? Switch to data. This just saves me from cussing when I'm hung on one bar of wifi and my music or podcast stops streaming. People just need something to complain about and push an agenda
    09-30-2015 06:26 PM
    I don't mind them adding this feature but for goodness sakes, don't set it to "on" by default; a lot of people probably don't know this feature is on in the background. I didn't find out about it till this morning. I shudder to think what would happen if I was watching Netflix on WIFI only to have this kick in when there is a glitch in my WIFI signal. It would blow through monthly data allowance in about 3 hours. I've turned it off.
    Chrisy likes this.
    10-02-2015 09:08 AM
    I just leave it on, but then I keep an eye on my data usage, too.
    10-02-2015 09:22 AM
    I have no need for it. turned off.
    10-02-2015 09:46 AM
    I thought The new Wi-Fi assist does the same thing as the Wi-Fi normally does. constantly search
    10-02-2015 11:30 AM
    Unlimited data on Verizon....so no need to disable it at all.
    10-02-2015 01:20 PM
    Off for sure. I am not in the US and I have a data cap. I would at least like to know when I am using data and most definitely not have turned it on by default. Some sort of indicator would be nice so if I am in my back yard I am not chewing through data with a video
    10-05-2015 07:05 PM
    I leave mine on. I have unlimited data though.

Sent from my iPhone 6s using Tapatalk.
    10-05-2015 10:56 PM
    Off

10-05-2015 10:58 PM
    Is there a way to make your wifi "appear" weak, so it will jump to Cellular, ive tried tons of public spots for weeks and cant get any cell jump!
    10-06-2015 10:50 PM
    Personally I think it's all FUD. what do I do when I have weak wifi? Switch to data. This just saves me from cussing when I'm hung on one bar of wifi and my music or podcast stops streaming. People just need something to complain about and push an agenda
    Mostly. But if someone is streaming videos (youtube, Netflix, etc.) because they're on wifi and won't do it on LTE due to limited data plans, finding out the system turned it off in the background without knowing it could be a problem.

Is the issue blown out of proportion? Could be. But until it shakes out, this feature is causing concern for a lot of people without unlimited data
    Chrisy likes this.
    10-07-2015 05:56 AM
    Argh Apple! I just used half my data allowance in 6 days becaus of this feature! I have wifi at work and that's when my podcast automatically download as well as anything else that requires a lot of data. The wifi at my work goes down probably 5 times during the day. I guess the data assist took over and all my data continued to download using cellular network. I didn't realize this as I'm working and don't look at my phone often.

Now I see my usage is 1GB per day for 6 days! I have 12GB total. I chatted with Verizon becaus I couldn't believe the data use. They told me about wifi assist.

It's off now and I'm wiser but that's a dirty trick to set it on automatically AND to have it all the way at the bottom under all the apps!

I just updated my OS 2 weeks ago and I had no idea this feature was added and defaults to ON. I don't come to tech forums anymore because I don't have time. So I don't know how a lay person would have known.
    12-30-2015 09:01 AM
    Argh Apple! I just used half my data allowance in 6 days becaus of this feature! I have wifi at work and that's when my podcast automatically download as well as anything else that requires a lot of data. The wifi at my work goes down probably 5 times during the day. I guess the data assist took over and all my data continued to download using cellular network. I didn't realize this as I'm working and don't look at my phone often.

Now I see my usage is 1GB per day for 6 days! I have 12GB total. I chatted with Verizon becaus I couldn't believe the data use. They told me about wifi assist.

It's off now and I'm wiser but that's a dirty trick to set it on automatically AND to have it all the way at the bottom under all the apps!

I just updated my OS 2 weeks ago and I had no idea this feature was added and defaults to ON. I don't come to tech forums anymore because I don't have time. So I don't know how a lay person would have known.
    When you update, do a quick Google search for the change log.
    12-30-2015 10:43 AM
    I'll do that next time for sure.
    Ledsteplin likes this.
    12-30-2015 10:50 AM
33 12