Notification sounds issue in iOS 9

Justin Adams

May 5, 2013
Visit site
I don't have the watch. And it's intermittent. Sometimes they ding, other times, not. It's getting annoying. I keep missing messages and emails in Gmail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Could either be a speaker issue or a software issue. Have you tried doing a hard reset? If that doesn't work you might want to set your phone up as a new phone, wait on installing additional apps (other than stock iOS apps), and see if you're getting your notification sounds. Then, slowly start adding apps back in. I almost wonder if you have an app hijacking your phone audio.

Sent from my iPhone 6s Plus using Tapatalk

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I don't have the watch. And it's intermittent. Sometimes they ding, other times, not. It's getting annoying. I keep missing messages and emails in Gmail.

Try going to Settings > Sounds > Reset your alert tones for text and mail. To reset them, just change the tone to a different tone, then change it back.
If that doesn't work...
Try toggling off iMessage, sign out, then sign back in and toggle back on.
Go to Settings >Mail, Contacts and Calendar > delete Gmail account > Add Gmail account back in.
Make sure notifications are set correctly in Settings > Notifications

Justin Adams

May 5, 2013
Visit site
I've done all that. Nothing seems to have fixed it. It's intermittent, so it's almost impossible for me to pinpoint. I just now updated to iOS 9.1 beta and all seems to be well. Thanks for the help though.

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
WhatsApp updated this morning - notification sounds still intermittent at best - bug has to be in iOS 9 itself - hoping for a prompt release of 9.1

Watrat

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
WhatsApp updated this morning - notification sounds still intermittent at best - bug has to be in iOS 9 itself - hoping for a prompt release of 9.1

Did you notice if the whatsapp change log said anything about fixing this problem? Just wondering if developers know of the issue or is it all on the iOS?

PureView

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site

I think it has been established that the bug is in iOS and not the apps. I have Tweetbot 4 and Fantastical, both of which have been fully updated for iOS 9. Both of them have this issue.

whsbuss

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Try going to Settings > Sounds > Reset your alert tones for text and mail. To reset them, just change the tone to a different tone, then change it back.
If that doesn't work...
Try toggling off iMessage, sign out, then sign back in and toggle back on.
Go to Settings >Mail, Contacts and Calendar > delete Gmail account > Add Gmail account back in.
Make sure notifications are set correctly in Settings > Notifications

No deal. Its not something set in the settings. It happens every so often on the mail app, messenger, twitter, builtin calendar app. Its definitely an iOS issues since the update.

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
As well the sound notifications for new posts to followed threads in this (iMore) as well as iCafe forums .... ( and again, it's intermittent , making troubleshooting impossible )

mankitako

Mar 7, 2015
Visit site
I am also having the same issue with no notification sound from time to time. Also since I upgraded to 9.02 with my 6s, I cannot receive any notification from Facebook Messenger anymore. Just wonder if I am the only one here...

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
You are far from alone... I'm only hoping that 9.1 will bring relief - the fact that it's being touted for 'new emoji' is so minor compared to hopefully fixing some ( or all ) of these issues . Personally the intermittent or absent sounds affect WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger, GMail, and Outlook - I don't run a big bag of apps though ...I have not seen 'iOS 9 compatibility' mentioned specifically in any of the updates for those apps, but all have been updated at least once, some twice, since iOS 9 was released .

scottatah

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
Heya,

I've had the same issue since upgrading to 9 including a restore to defaults. I primarily notice it on imessage. Usually I do a hard reset to solve it, but I feel like thats sorta bad for the phone. While reading through this thread I tried toggling the mute button on off about 4 times. Wouldn't you know it the next text that came in made a sound. We'll see if this stays consistent or not.

marcobrien

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
I have a similar issue.. Regardless of the volume set on my iPhone 6 Plus, any default Apple apps (Mail, iMessage, etc) the notification alerts sound like they're at full volume. They're so loud, they almost make me jump. Having to use silent/vibrate most of the time to stop me having a heart attack!!

Anyone else have this problem?

BBooDad

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
iOS 9 has had more betas and more borked problems... I think they are trying to do too much instead of do what they do well.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2